cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Japan and the nuclear alternative?

Kay--have seen my nitrate levels in drinking water steadly increase the past decade due to intensive farming and feedlot practices which I have monitored closly with NRD and DEQ----as they increase I have been repeatedly told the readings would improve---after a decade I have the results of the wells less than a quarter mile away from my domestic well with readings from 40's to 110 ppm of nitrate----am I wrong to say NIMBY  ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

We've historically run background 0-4 ppm nitrate here, with 14,000 head of hogs on three lagoons on our back forty.  The nitrate was already here, since that was at startup for the hog farm.  Later tests about ten years in paralleled the earlier ones. 

Worst well was furthest from hog lagoons, but surrounded by crop fields...so, I think more fertilizer-driven.  That one happens to serve our house, and I am a voracious water drinker. Truth is, the damage was done long before we bought this place. 

We were told 10 ppm is threshold for drinking water concerns. While we are within safe limits for that pollutant, I still was concerned about agri-chemicals that may be lingering in our clay-ey subsoil. 

If you have anything over 10 ppm in your residential well, friend, I would NOT drink your water.  It can be deadly to a fetus or disastrous to a pregnant woman.  While that was a long time ago for me, I feel that if it is that bad for an infant, it is not going to be good for us.   

I did some research, and have been using a Berkey Light filter for drinking water for a couple of years now... http://www.lehmans.com/store/Water___Water_Filters___Tabletop_Filters___Berkey_Light_Water_Filter_wi...=

The Black Berkey filters are very aggressive, in terms of what they remove, and there is no power required for it to work.  (Yes, it was part of my survivalist phase!)

I like the lighted base for ambient nighttime light in the kitchen.  That LED is rated for several (12, if I recall right) years' service. The filters will last a long time, too, depending upon your usage.  I keep a spare set on hand. 

Lehman's has a good chart of filters and their effectiveness.  This was how I ended up with this one, which was the best filtration at the best price point to me.  The plastic is BPA free, but you can spend more for a stainless one, too, if plastic is an issue in your mind. 

There is something of concern virtually everywhere you live, one way or another.  We could opt for public water supply here, but I cannot tolerate chlorine in my water...will not even use it in the pool.   

I figure that if water is 70-75% of my body, I want it to be GOOD water!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What are the costs of this---allready manitaining a reverse -os  "without" equip fundingSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

The Berkey is $300-400 if I recall right...follow that link.  Replacement elements (Black Berkey, mostly a charcoal cylinder, I think) run about $90 at last purchase.  This is a countertop item that we pour pitchers of drinking water into...not a whole-house system.  Icemaking machine has its own separate filter....

'

I frankly bought this item as a survival instrument, sort of along the lines of the wood cookstove bought about the same time.  We have got a stovetop distiller/juicer, too, as a second alternative system, in case this filter was disabled or we could no longer obtain the cartridges.  (When you plan for survival, you have to plan past the first few days to be really effective...most people stop at three days or a week with emergency supplies...and we have been almost three weeks without grid power here, just from hurricane damage to lines.)       

You could pour lagoon water in the top, and drink what comes out of the bottom safely, the way I read it. I do not know what your system requires - isn't reverse osmosis an active system that uses electricity?  If so, I would want a mechanical backup for emergency use, if you ever, ever lose power at all.  You know what your RO system is engineered to do, and I don't.   

I am not well-read on water filtration, just decided I wanted very aggressive removal of pollutants available in my home with no real additional equipment to deal with or maintain.  Did not want water purification to be electricity-dependent.  This one works on more chemicals and pathogens than anything else I could find. 

Also, put one in son's house in VA, since he has had klidney stones a couple of times, and the doctor says it's a wellwater thing there.  I guess time will tell on that use. 

We do not go overboard with this...will still drink out of the house doing yardwork, or once in a blue moon, will use ice cubes from trays in office, where I have no filter.  I'd estimate that 99.9% of our consumption is from this filter, though. 

Some people question the use of a plastic container for drinking water...which was not as much on the radar a couple years ago.  This one is BPA free, but all plastics may be shown to release estrogen-like compounds, to some degree, according to late-breaking research.   I may get back into this line of study, and decide to go with stainless. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Radiation has been up and down - serious situation.  so far no melt down, no giant harm down - but anything can happen – we know that. It could become a ginat diosaster. For now the media feeds the need, slanted to   ..

A once in a 500 or 1000 yr earthquake hit and the Tsunami was over the thresholds. That can happen in all things. Japan is very successful country and wealthy and cautious, this one was bigger than they. 

So shutter nuclear? The US made a BIg mistake in 1980 by stopping nuclear plant building, that contributed the energy price spikes yrs later.  Science endlessly evolves and improves an will more after this.

Every country is pausing, they have to for PR alone!  

Workers were not removed, they moved 500 ft off and are back working on trying to keep it cooled.

Mo nature is Big and powerful, things will happen. The devastation from the flooding towns wiped out is  HUGE. So move inland? Beach property goes to zero?

We live with risks.

5B of corn/yr goes to making ethanol. All that produces energy, what what 3 reactors can do?

How many people are killed in farm accidents annually, producing that 5B BU, how much harm is done spending 110 units of energy to produce ethanol that is 100 units?

We should conserve and use less. Higher energy prices would force that – a good thing.

Artifice

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

To look at the financial melt down of nuclear power one might look at Washington Public Power Supply System 2 billion default on a plant that was never completed---makes one consider the weight of the options--"if in my back yard" I prefer Nat. gas -coal or wind ---the one's with the least consequence's--- and the bill is yet to be addressed for the spent fuel waste------another one for our grandkids I suppose ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

or look at the owner of 3 mile island.

stk cratered to 3$,, then went to 60.

nuclear power is  very economic.

1 default and 200 sucesses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You might want to watch "Gasland," before you get too tight with natural gas.  Frackgin rock to force gas out is ruining groundwater in many areas, according to some research.  Not to mention the emissions of hydrocarbons that accompany the gas. 

Many small sites, in stead of huge central ones, keeps the inductry largely under the regualtory threshold, I think.  Coal is dirty and you can end up with acid rain, and yes, the Feds did not meet the obligation to dispose of spent nuclear fuel as promised.  Shocked, but not surprised, here. 

One of my first citizen awareness hearings was on the Southeast Compact, for disposal of low-level radioactive waste, a lot of it from the medical imaging and treatment industry.  Barnhill, SC, was running short on space.  I frankly lost sight of the issue, and need to Google it, to see what is up nearly 20 years later. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

As with this one, though, the screwups are SO spectacular, they carry a lot of weight in the realm of public opinion. 

As we all know, perception is reality!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

One thing that bothers me about Japan is that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.  The Kobe earthquake was a disaster of poor preparedness and then poor execution.  There is no doubt that the Japanese are very strongly acting this time, including the unprecedented announcement by the emporer.  But, I've heard rumors that some of the diesel generators did not have fuel.

Other news I've heard (uncorroberated) is that the earthquake did not major damage ot the reactors, it was the tsunami that destroyed the cooling system.  But, more info to come.  We'll be learning for years.  I hope.

0 Kudos