cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Japan and the nuclear alternative?

Anti-nuke?   The people who are against nuclear power generators.   Since I have 1 closeby I hear about it all the time in the news.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Nuclear is fine for the power --disposal and meltdown issues still remain--ever talk to ranchers in Nevada---might be worth the effort and see how people that deal with other peoples garbage feel about it---in Nebraska they tried to put a" private nuclear dump"   in an area with very light population---it didn't work because of the water issues and public sentiment---just like the national debt the real solutions with nuclear waste gets little attention--just talked to death--my question being is any part of this world "less sacred" than any other part ? ?

0 Kudos
Advisor

I would almost expect a new rash of raised concern near existing nuclear plants worldwide...examination of the seismic potential at the site, for example.  Somewhere, it was quotd that experts sy 20% of sites worldwide have seismic potential for problems. 

If some of these utilities decide to engage in proactive advertising or PR campaigns, it will likley emphasize enhanced safety and their excellent safety record, an mabye some info about the safety of their siting decision.   

As an island nation, I can see why nuclear appeals to Japan...much less of a fuel transport issue than with coal, for instance.  It is ironic in ways that the one country attacked atomically has so wholeheartedly embraced atomic power, but I can see logical reasons why...except for thier position on the Ring of Fire. 

Never really thought about the cooling water use in drought conditions, until it was mentioned here yesterday.  Makes sense why human consumption restrictions do not largely control the situation when a reservoir is dropping rapidly. 

May contribute to Raleigh's issues with chronic water shortage, with the Shearin Harris plant there, and could have explained some of the problems in the James River watershed in VA last summer, with Surry needing water.  Yet, people pile up in droves in already-strapped watersheds.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

You are probably right.  Perception is often reality.  In this case, unfortunately so.

After the smoke clears, (literally) when there proves to be very little threat to general public even after a natural disaster of biblical proportions, nuclear will probably be viewed at with even more anxiety, when it should be the exact opposite.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Film , photos and head;lines    HIt hard but there are hundreds and hundreds of nuke plants the world over producing electricity safely. for 50 yrs. We will have to see how the Japanese situation ends but it appears the backup precautions will prevent disaster. Probably 1-2 plants will close.

Meatime the industry has produced a LOT of electricity sfafely   -  a VGood 50 yr record. 

I suggest we use more nuclear and contine to apply science to make it safer and safer.

Maybe the price of energy needs to rise, so we use less/.  We use a LOT, what is so wrong with staying home

fn

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The carrier Reagan left the area---must mean something is up ?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Just now?  My latest report was that the Reagan moved further out to sea, away from the wind direction to stay away from the radiation.  Sensors on the carrier went off, reporting low levels of radiation.

0 Kudos
Advisor

NPR reported this afternoon that haval vessels were putting more distance between themselves adn Japan, due to higher levels of radiation on pilots returning from missions...I would guess recon.

Also, Germany and the Swiss have curtailed plans to build mroe nuclear plants, and India is re-examining its position. Nuclear power industry is supposed to be lobbying hard for its life in DC right now...this will defintely set them back, perhaps another generation, as TMI did. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

News tonight specualted that the plume if carried out to sea as hoped, could reach California in a week or so.  Rest assured tha if any rise in radiation is noted, it will make a real setback potential into reality. 

I have been NIMBY in a landfill fight in the eighties.  NIMBY does not have to prove diddly squat...all it has to do is ask, "What IF!?"  Impossible to prove a negative, to refute. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Perhaps so.  NIMBY, however, is alive and well in everybody's back yard, no pun intended.  Wind farms are opposed here, due to apparent potential hazards of birds colliding with propellors.  That and one or two folks that dislike seeing big windmills in their landscape view of the pristine flint hills grassland.  Talk about tilting at windmills....

So, too, folks oppose other forms of alternative energy. Ethanol production faces opposition in certain areas.  I would even bet if hydrogen fuel cells were on the near horizon, someone would oppose that as well.

Diversity of energy sources reduces the chances of total economic dependance on any one source of energy.  It's a win-win solution for America, and the world for that matter. 

0 Kudos