cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Japan and the nuclear alternative?

The best energy solution for any givne place it pretty site-specific.  We are not in a wind acquisition zone, but transmission two hours inland from the Sounds is reasonable in todays' grid and power wheeling capacity setup.  It is less than that far to onshore sites with good wind potential.

Wave genaration and other power sources that rely on naturla movement makes a lot of sense to me.  We have a good amount of hydroelectric here in eastern NC/VA, but environmental pressure limits the possibility of much more.

Solar is too costly compared to most clean alternatives, but it the only reeasonable alternative in some areas.    Of course, battery manufacture, recycling and disposal is another problem to deal wiht down this road....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

FALSE - "Germany and the Swiss have curtailed plans to build mroe nuclear plants"

All nations will reexamine,  they hav not  " curtailed "

Navel vessel moved further away   to be safe .

Things are getting worse, there is no disaster    yet

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

"specualted that the plume if carried out to sea as hoped, could reach California in a week or so"

media feeding needs to think    disaster  disaster

there is no radation leak t CA

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

CBS news used footage of a Ngat gas generating facility burning

whlist speakingof th 3rd nuclear explosion.

Flight officiers returning to the RReagan has heightened radiation levels,

less that your Formica counter  top.

So it goes, people want to be fed.

0 Kudos
Advisor

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=134528335&ft=1&f=

Maybe you need to read this.  When folks are shutting down existing plants temporarily, along a plan to shutter them all within ten years,I think they are probably not building more. 

This morning, the workers at the Fukushima site have been evacuated, and people within a 19-mile radius are now being told to stay indoors. 

Radiation levels reported at 100 times normal.  A tad higher than my kitchen countertop. 

Everyone is hoping the plume will disperse at sea...as always, dilution is the solution.  

Steady aftershocks, some strong enough to be termed earthquakes in their own right. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

It is "amazing" how "calm" the Japanese public is handling the shock of this adverse calamity----  utterly remarkable ! ! ! 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

NIMBY is at the heart of much of American politics.  In the process of exporting pollution, we have exported jobs.

I live 20 miles from a nuke power plant which is of the same design as the old Japanese plants.  I'm not worried.  We are in a seismic stable zone (nearest is the New Madrid fault many hundreds of miles away).

Nuclear operations of any kind demand the highest form of management and safety.  It can be done.

Shoot the nuclear waste into the sun.

Every form of energy has it's detractors (much of it NIMBY, some of the rest established economics).  Wind - kills migratory birds, messes up the FAA radar, is noisy, is a hassle to crop dusters.  Hydo-electric requries dams that change sreams, wildlife, and other parts of the environment, plus constitute a dangeer.  Coal is dirty.  Oil is owned by people who hate us.  Continue on.....

The Titanic did not stop sea travel, nor did airline disasters stop air travel.  Nuclear energy is a logical solution to a complex problem.

Nuclear energy seems to me to be the only viable long-term solution.  My suggestion?  The old military leadership motto -  lead, follow or get out of the way.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jim--something are just talked to death---no action---on the other hand no accountability by a few brings on NIMBY----radiation is far from wind sounds or traffic congestion ! !

0 Kudos
Advisor

I am not anti-nuclear power...I am much in favor of it, at least as a transition to solar or other truly renewable energy sources.  Nuclear is finite, too.  

The biggest problem in the US is that the storage for spent rods promised by the Feds never materialized.  If this piece of the puzzle is solved, and siting into seismically stable areas is a prerequisite, I'd be totally in favor of a new generation of plants...those with good containments vessels and more failsafe systems that this relatively outdated plant in Japan, which was going to be mothballed in a few months anyway.

I brought this subject up because it is intriguing to me that we can cast away very sound technology on the back of what mostly amounts to BS.  Samw thign happened to hog farming in Nc in 1999, when Hurricane Floyd innundated no more than 1% of lagoons, there were calls to close us all. 

NIMBY looks for a toehold anywhere it can gain one. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

The lack of looting has been remarked upon in several discussions I've been involved in on this story, and it's been mentioned in the news today.  It reminds me of how we were taught to manage fire drills as elementary teachers...calmly, walking in line, accounting for all the students. 

**bleep** principle stole a kid out of my line on day, to test me.  I caught it immediately when we reached our safe point and counted noses.  Knew it was a drilll, kinew he was the kind who'd do something like that, and it still made me sick to my stomach to be missing one, if only for a few seconds.  

We allow a fool like Ray Nagins to stand and scream about people 'raping babies in the Superdome' without question.  Contrast every looting scene in this country to the dignity, discipline and restraint of the Japanese people, who have stood in line for whatever assistance they can get...under far worse circumstances, for which they had maybe eleven minutes' warning. 

0 Kudos