cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Jim Rogers & Ron Paul discuss - force and intimidation by government

Watch the three minute video, that was posted to the zero hedge site.  John

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-02/ron-paul-jim-rogers-government-theyll-use-force-and-intimid...

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Jim Rogers & Ron Paul discuss - force and intimidation by government

Whats amazing is people actually beleive such crap. The government is not taking from you. You have the lowest tax rates in recent history and the highest deficits. At least in part because wehave the lowest tax rates in recent history.

The fact is that wall street is booming meaning some one is making a profit. Ironically, business does not want to hire labor or raise wages. Yet corps and stockholders don't want to pay taxes and they don't want to raise wages for those that do pay  taxes, WORKERS.

A rising tide is suppose to raise all ships. yet when we went through the panama canal a couple weeks ago, the big freighter came out the other end with hundreds of containers on top, yet the row boats came out with little. Kind of like business. The big guys get the gains and the little guys get scat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yeah yeah yeah Don, we are all beholding to the government "you didn't build that!". Fact is half the country doesn't pay federal income tax, it's those that show up the pay the taxes. if imterest rates weren't effectively zero, what would your stock market be then? The govern.ent is going to change the way they figure the gdp, that seems to be over the heads of even "smart" people, so I imagine they will follow the herd and pour even more money into equities when those "improved" gdp numbers come out in july...party like it's 1999! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I am 88 years young. Our  income comes from our IRA , SS, and farm rent. Our total tax bill is over 50% of our net income.  It consists of US Income tax, state income tax, personal property tax which includes our autos, real property (land) for schools, county taxes, city taxes, taxes on household water and sewer, telephone taxes like for phones for the poor ( I see them leave the stores with liquor, soda, snacks, etc.) excise taxes on auto tires etc, a bike trails tax and a sales tax on almost everything that we buy. Our next biggest expense is medical expenses. There was even taxes on much when we prepaid our funerals

I think that we are taxed enough

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Amen to that, Old Man.

I did an analysis awhile back and came up with a similar observation, somewhat over 50%. I think that if the taxing authorities get more from each dollar than the person making the money gets to keep, they should maybe think the problem is not one of taxation and look someplace else for the solution.

Maybe, just maybe, the problem is on the spending side.

Pretty hard today to amass the money to build a Mt. Vernon or Monticello after paying all the taxes. And Jefferson and Washington rebelled against paying tax on tea. Just think how fired up they would get today with our plethora of taxes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I agree with BA on this one. The people paying taxes aren't the issue. It's the sorry SOB's that don't work which means they don't have tax obligations which means they don't own anything, but are the first ones in the post office on the day their welfare or government assistance check arrives. Just like Old Man said, straight to tattoo parlors, smoke shops and liquor stores. Use tax payer money to support their habits and food stamps to feed the family.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Peanuts.

Don is right.  Well paid people pay taxes.  It's people WITH jobs who  that make up the vast majority of benefi recipients:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/02/how-much-do-we-spend-nonworking-poor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Bruce, I find it curious that you would use an analysis that treats Social Security and Medicare as "welfare benefits" to make a point. Perhaps you never read through what you linked to, or didn't think this one through.

Furthermore, it would be a stretch then, to call Social Security and Medicare recipients "workers".

With statistics, you can wiggle them around to make just about any point you wish.

The first clue that we had that something would be amiss was when you typed the words "Don is right".

Read the comments after the article to see the complete dissection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You could even include those who use the laws to dodge taxes on millions through loopholes. Why should an investor pay a lower tax rate on unearned income than a worker on earned (through blood sweat and tears) income?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Social security and medicare beneficiaries are workers. The are workers that toiled their whole life are are just now reaping the benefits of their 50 Years of toil.

That is a personal problem you have in that you look with disdain on retirees. Evidently, you think the aged should be kept in the harness until they collapse.

Most folks look on the elderly wirth respect and appreciation for their years of productivity. For supporting america with their labor and taxes fopr so many years. You don't! I wonder what your parents or grand parents think of your attitude. Of how they existed in their economy for so many years with higher tax rates and without all the tax escape clauses that you have.

0 Kudos