cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Joel Salatin for Sec of Ag?

I would be 4 score behind this man to "drain the swamp in agriculture"...however, ahem, when it comes to swamp drainin` some key players like things the way they are and throw monkey wrenches they`ve gotten very wealthy with the status quo.  And of course a young guy mortgaged dad`s farm and signed 20 years of his life away on  $2 million hog barns note isn`t going to be on board with a Joel Salatin "change" ...and Tyson, Smithfield, Hormel ect

After a year of Joel Salatin in charge the cries would be "I hate him! I`m goin` broke!  yada yada yada".  But that doesn`t mean his solution isn`t the correct one.  The path to hell has been the well travelled one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7O3fOXXKo

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Joel Salatin for Sec of Ag?

No........... absolutely no...........  in almost every case he is refering to "politically correct" farming and whether or not agriculture should do ....... and whether or not urban cities should be allowed to be the size they are......

Totally a government controls everything discussion.  

refers to restructuring several times....... 

"2/3 of the drugs in the land are in animals not people" ------ garbage off the cuff.

The best example of farm to people distribution I see is Braum's Dairy Store...... I am sure that would not be what he thinks is good....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

He is right about one thing though............. the "we love large international corporations agriculture system that usda and congress has empowered is stressed when things go stupid"  and is in fact bad policy..... We would have animal processing in every small town and localized butcher shops now but the federal government prevents it through regulation.... 

This top down attitude is the worst of ignorance assuming people are dumb enough to be doing what they do.   But right now people are paid and led to do very stupid things......... We need folks who believe that the people control commerce and create ideas and congress operates under the constitution and only to that limit.

The progressive left is forcing folks out of the parks and out of the streets one week, then 2 weeks later sending folks in the streets protesting and brick throwing in "picture worthy" numbers.... two weeks from now it will be the next fake fiasco..... Racial problems....... what a pipe dream created in a press room and promoted like a carnival in the most racially integrated society in the world.

When have we ever seen such hyprocracy....... it is literally the political "chicken with head cut off" scenario....  My mom made me put the headless chicken in a gunny sack nailed to a post to keep the rioters under control.  

I won't be supprised to have mass liberal suicide promoted by a news agency sometime before november in this continual side show of a candidate less election year....... Jonestown for the cameras........ then all get up to go home and cash the checks and file for more nancy money.

So ........ I take it the virus gate saga is over???

Let me remind you that Malaria drug study that claimed Trumps treatment was dangerous and false...... that study has been retracted because there was no test showing such result.  So how many in New york did not have to die....

In my county with a packing plant and a hot spot........ has now had 900+ cases.  only 200+ of those ever had symptoms  ..... a small % of those were hospitalized .  One terminally ill cancer patient died of the virus because he came to treatment too late.  

The local doctor currently says we treat every patient with the malaria steroid..... " it is very effective at treating the illness"  -- doesn't prevent it but effectively treats.

Yet my neighbors brother-in-law was on a respirator in KC for 10 days back in April.  Family was told he probably won't survive it.  Then a sister asked the doctor if he had been given hydroxychloroquine.  He said "no, are you requesting it?"  And quoted the doubts of the WHO.  the Patients sister said "Please try it".   He was given the shot and was off the respirator and went home from the hospital in three days.    

To this day from one of the countries hot spots we have yet to loose a second patient.

---------------------

Far more telling is the way the virus fearful took to the streets when a new avenue of "outrage" appeared as a backdrop for melodrama.  The greatest show on earth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

SW, what Salatin is bringing to light is the "total cost" of what we`re doing.  I mean, folks that eat pork tell me that pasture raised tastes so much better than confinement pork and these are farmers that own barns of their own on multiple sites.  Then you look at the cost of the "efficiency" of one man growing 15,000 hogs inventory as opposed to one man farrow to finish 100 sows of 35 years ago, we`ve shifted those in the small towns of indepent feed stores, large animal vets, hardware stores, buying stations out of the picture.  Some are out of agriculture, some take a pay cut but small towns are boarded up and the livestock profits go to "corporate headquarters" and perhaps one or two "winners" in the local community. 

I raise natural pork and get a premium plus while the confinements were euthanizing barns, there was a demand for my product.  But China uses as an excuse they will only buy "Racto free pork" my hogs are used domestically and not enough product to export...a good "problem" to have. 

But a Salatin approach to agriculture would better bridge the gap between farmer and consumer.   We`re in the minority and headlines about "lab produced meat" wouldn`t be an issue if consumers better understood us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The public will buy convenience,  taste......"There is no accounting for taste".  People like or dislike things for inexplicable reasons. ...  the winds blow your way in the power of suggestion until kroger puts pork on sale at 25% less.  Or the other white meat carries a collestoral label for the first time.... or high blood pressure attacks.  yadda yada...

But pork is a great example---- pork left the traditional farm in anything but a nitch market thirty years ago and if half of us go back to dealing direct to customers and a value added dependence that is roughly 90k farmers with 100 sows to hand feed and get kids through school.......... Nitch markets go and come like a farmers market in the late fall.  We are not going to in a mass way.  Nitch is a good deal for a few in the right location... but on a nationwide basis as he suggests.  The supply for the masses won't be there.  Nothing is special if we are all doing it.... He is irrational in thinking everyone should be like him.

His suggestion that agriculture can can shift back to a consumer desires market across the board is like saying we are going back to plow horses......... we may but not because it is good for us all.  My consumers start at 250 miles away.  We suppliied the LA markets with hogs when the buying station was putting loads together... 1200 miles.... and I have sold direct in small local markets..... and I never saw clients that I could consistantly please.  Some really good folks, but I got tired of never quite meating their ever changing wants.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Agriculture is in the Henry Ford" phase of "you can have any color Model T, so long as it`s black".  But I don`t care what it is these days it`s all about "cost shifting",  "But wait! call now and you`ll get the second one free! just pay $12.95 in shipping & handling "  The shipping and handling charge is where the money is made. 

Government programs keep feed supply up and prices cheap which subsidizes the livestock industry.  Vertical integration enables packers to feed livestock losing money on that end but make it up on the processing end, while independents foolish enough to compete don`t have that one last squeeze on the teat to make a profit. 

When a handful of packers control the meat supply, we see all sorts of problems if that chain gets tangled with a disease or packing plant  worker disruption.  5,000 pigs all in and all out and something that bolix it up even a couple weeks sends ripples. 35 years ago there were more and smaller packers, killing maybe 4,000 hogs/day they all didn`t have  the same problems at the same time that shut the whole industry down.  Feed trucks and livestock trucks that operate in a 200 mile radius visit 5,000/hd sites all over in that circle. In the past, the feed was grown 100 feet away from the hog house and hogs were hauled by the farmer`s 16` bumper hitch trailer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I have some ins in the Biden camp.

I'll put in a good word.

I imagine in a second Trump Admin. it would probably be the CEO of Smithfield for gettin' those durn ###### back to work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Oh, a Biden administration will help Smithfield out and put the "hashtags" back to work and drag in more hashtags.   Supreme Court likes hashtags too. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

BA, I agree...Biden and Hardnutz have the same size balls.

0 Kudos