cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

John Deere And Granular Want Your Data

John Deere and Granular want you to use their equipment and software to optimize your farming operations.  Who owns this data?

"

We believe farmers own information generated by their farming operations; however, farming is a complex, dynamic industry. Farmers use our tools and offerings in many different ways, which complicate the issue of ownership. Expectations, relationships, contracts and laws regarding data control and ownership vary from place to place, operation to operation and even on a single farm. For example:

• Custom harvesters or equipment operators who may have the right to share production data
  • Landlord and/or tenants who may have the right to share some or all production data from a farm
  • Agronomists and other consultants who may have the right to share data
  • A farmer may buy licenses to use commercial prescription files, other technologies, or seed hybrids that the farmer does not own.

Different circumstances can make determining who owns data complicated and unclear. That's why we believe control of the data is the most important issue.

John Deere encourages you to understand the specific terms and rights of data ownership defined in the contracts and/or agreements you have with us and other parties. Because those terms of data ownership vary, MyJohnDeere is designed to allow each customer to control the data in their account and decide if it is appropriate to share with others."

Sounds to me like anyone in John Deere who wants to can look at your raw data and they can use it in many ways without your permission.

Data ownership is a big deal.  Or is it?  Everyone can get a soil map of your farm.  Everyone can get USDA aerial photos.  Your chemical dealer, seed salesman, grain buyer and so forth know a lot about the details of your info.  Does it matter if another group knows even more?  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: John Deere And Granular Want Your Data

Data    4   Sale   -  pay up on the retail - sacred cow   -   not so much on the producer side ? ? 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: John Deere And Granular Want Your Data

At $2 an acre per year it sounds like a bargain for what looks like a very good "grain" crop software and record program.  Not afinancial acounting program.

A good history retaining program.  Cloud based so you can access it and every person you choose in the process can add input from any device that has internet access.

Detailed record of every input and note made with near instant cash flow and COP generation...... planning and budgeting extremely good.....

But lets say a 10K acre farm uses it.  That is 20,000 per year due annually for the rest of your life.  For what is probably a good $ 5K computer program..... But the connectivity is the greatness of it.  The data can be entered from a smart phone, tractor, combine, etc.  

It can be viewed from any computer anywhere the internet has access.  Entries can be controled or confined as much as necessary.

And it may be the future for all internet use. Unless we all say no.  and think about it what good is it to a 2K acre farm.......it appears they are not interested in those anyway

Even a simple and basic program like Quickbooks does it's best to convert you back to their cloud based format so they can do some little extras for you(like update your payroll rates for you-- when an accountant would just look it up once a year and change the program).  

Now your renting not buying.  Costs go up and can go up annually (if the price of corn goes up).  But data processing and data useability is very good in this format and the upgrading will be taken care of.  

My thought.......................1  A farmer with a business accounting boiler will love it.  He has already got those records in the file cabinets.  He is working on them all the time.... it is where his mind goes when the commercials are on.  He will poke in the data on his cell phone while the wife does suduko on hers.  Otherwise it will take a data entry person to do it right and correct the hiccups. (The problem with all the technology everybody wants to put their info in but nobody wants to go back and clean out the mistakes or out of date data)

In my case my younger guys who are managing the grain and livestock are looking at this program........and trying to figure out if it will help them replace me when the date or hour comes.

2   No data based program works on its own.  Good data entry is still key and it is not included with the large fees.

And that is probably one of the reasons why they are seeking out the recently larger farms to "go after".  They are more likely to have that "guy or gal" who just loves the preservation of details.  They are selling to that fetish.

3.  It assumes some things about the future or at least it is targeting a gullible group.  Large farms,( probably commercial corp. farms), no diversification (absolutely no livestock segment to the program, it has elevator records even to the commercial aspect of it but nothing for livestock feeding or cow calf or hog).  That is an assumption that all food production will continue to be larger and larger entities that specify to one aspect of agriculture. Sounds like a university.

4.  I know this doesn't come across to the iowa/illini mindset where there are only two seasons up there.... planting and harvesting, but large scale farms(operating 15K and above acre with gross incomes in the 5+ millions)s have existed for decades in some areas and are much more diversified than the current "trend" indicates.  point is diversification or concentration both happen because of economic necessity or opportunity which is always changing.  This data processing program does not expect or anticipate that.

5.  The temptation of these types of data management programs is to expect it to make decisions instead of assisting in decisions.  And naturally those who possess that data will assume the ability to tell the participants what to do and how to do it.  We are all a bit ego centric with money in pocket and a bit lazy if we can pay someone else to do it.  If the assumptions of the data processing program are limited so will be the options.  But for the driven data maniac Granular looks good and the big input sellers are on the bandwagon.

Back to #4 for the corn belt readers.........

I know the old dust bowl is unique and I have a propensity to watch the guys who think outside the box, but in our area...... well before the development of the computer or the internet and since,  Large farms have grown and diversified in interesting and large $$$ ways into Cattle feeding, hog production, dairy, banking, entertainment, manure composting, retailing,  grain handling, Insurance....etc.  often when it was not necessarily the trend to do. -------------- How did they do all that without the cloud?

And does all this technology enhance our production or kill creativity?  Maybe the creative people are the ones selling............

finally I love the technology, but I have been concerned with buying software in the box that needed updating so often(the internet affect) and needing replaced every few years.  But this one feels more like I would get a beautiful package and great promise that is actually an empty box that is out of date sooner.  Kind of like a membership to a gym.

There is promise of expansion and adaptation..... I would avoid extended committment.  

And I wonder who to worry about hacking the data China, My neighbor, Russia or Hollywood? 

soapbox  thoughts in orange........omitted a few........ i am trying...

0 Kudos