cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

John Donahue _Ebay

Informing us how unfair it is to assess sales tax against internet sales. Actually, what is unfair is online sales being exempted from sales tax. Why should store existing within a state be responsible for state sales taxes and online sales go untaxed.

The truth is the states require those revenues to fund state and local governments. Why then should Ebay and other online venders be exempt.

BTW, merchants do not pay sales taxes. Their customers do. Mr. Donahue and his Ebay company does not have a dog in this hunt nor does his company have any civic responsibility as do the other merchants through out our country.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: John Donahue _Ebay

Many local governments put in extra taxes that are designed to snare people who don't have the option to vote.  For example, a city will vote in a 1 cent tax that the county people can't vote on, yet the county people trade in the city and have to pay the tax.  And, the tax collected is spent in and for the city.  Not all of the tax money spent in the city is useful to me when I drive in there to trade, so I figure I'm suffering from taxation without representation.  Sometimes the qustion of tax does arise when I'm contemplaing a purchase.

Keep in mind that internet stores generally have a shipping fee that is often as high or higher than the tax.  It is not necessarily true that the buyer can get an item cheaper from the interent when you look at the total price.

Although a penny on the dollar is not a big deal, the fact that I had no voice in it galls me.  There are several similar stores near me and I consciously choose the lower tax store over the higher when they have the same article.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: GREAT POST!!!

if you cut half the gov people --i never call them workers--you would have tice as man as needed but the  it takes 10 gov people to equal one in private business

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There is nothing that we do in life that does not affect someone, or something else. So is it with the internet sales tax. I have a daughter that does considerable internet sales with childrens clothes paterns and material. She tells me that she will be out of business if she has to charge sales taxes as the problems assessing, nobody knows how many different local rates there are, are just too great for her to continue

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Actually Jim, I thought the retailers in the box store had to pay shipping charges to get the product to the store.

I can see no logical reason to exempt online sellers from sales taxes. In this electronic age it would be a small matter to charge the appropriate taxes to the various  zip codes. I fnothing more than apply the same tax rates to all goods.

You do have a voice in it every time you make the purchase. Buy, don't buy it is up to you.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Kraft-T, you're being facetious and it does not become you.

The box stores get good shipped in in bulk on regular shipments which of course are consdierably cheapter than single point UPS shipments to my farm.  You knew that.

In our county, you can not corelate sales taxes with zip codes.  My county location does not have a local sales tax but the town that is on the name of the zip code does have a penny tax.

Suggesting that I have a voice in whether a pay a tax by choosing not to buy the item is a bit insulting.  If I need a new bit for my drill because the old one broke, I have to buy it.  I don't have an option.  Unless I don't drill the hole.  There is somewhat of a voice if I have the choice to buy online or in a box store, either locally or in the vicinity.

You have a particular philosophical and political perspective on issues like this which blinds you to any but your own point of view.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

And I suppose you don't have a political point of view. The fact is that states and local governments have to fund their functions and sales tax is a big part of that. To exclude online businesses from sales tax responsibilities places an unfair burden on in state firms. And arguing that shipping costs should exclude them from civic responsibilities is simply ludicrous.

All businesses have shipping costs no matter what they sell.

Zip codes would distinguish which state sales tax would be charged. Our 9 % sales tax in OK may differ from your Iowa rate but at least state would be treating their local businesses equitably rater than giving out of state merchants  a distinct advantage.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I have a political point of view but I don't as a rule use this forum to propund it, as you do all the time.  My main reason for being here is to learn something about farming, not persuade others to see the world the way I do.

I explained the shipping issue in my previous thread.

I explained the local tax issue in my previous thread.  I am talking about local county and city sales taxes, not state taxes.  I am in the county which does not charge the tax, and not all the cities in the county charge the extra penny, but some do, including the city that has the name of my zip code.  The software a small, out-of-state merchant would have to use to correctly figure my tax would be very hard to deal with, and I do find this issue in some mail order sales where they do try to collect tax but have the wrong rate in their computer.

0 Kudos
Advisor

you might as well go talk to your oliver jim----it probably will understand better anyway

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am retired living in the city with the same zip code as the farm, but my sales tax rate is higher. Life is not always simple

0 Kudos