cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: John Donahue _Ebay

Higher than what?  I'm sure if country folk drive into your city to buy something as simple as a soda pop they are charged the same tax as you.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

So you think it is equitable that in state businesses that build buildings pay real estate taxes, hire local people to work in their stores should have to fund the state government and those that sell goods from an out of state local should be exempt of any tax burden?

Did you ever stop to think that failure to tax online goods require higher sale tax rates on locally sold goods.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jim, i'll live with sales tax. Unlike property tax, everyone pays sales taxes.

Senior Advisor

Bingo Idalivered.  I mirror your post.  I am even in favor of paying sales tax in double digits if it meant reduced property tax.  If you have ever lived in a city that is over run with minorities you will know what I mean.  Nothing against minorities, but they move into an area and almost take it over with owning almost nothing, but go to Walmart or the mall and they are walking around with arm loads of bags.  These people pay almost nothing in taxes.  Yes Kraft I'm well aware that they pay the same sales tax as I do and it is their right not to purchase anything that would hold property tax.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I really hate to use this argument,but it's true...on business related items the sales tax would be(income tax) deductible. Man, I hate using that rationale. It's not really fair, but as  farmer I can deduct every screwdriver, extension cord, etc. just because I can say I'm a "farmer/business".  Also, the people that would buy a $60,000 lexus would pay sales tax at the same rate I would pay on a $7500 used car. Keeps both ends of the spectrum in the game at the same rate. Same goes for shopping at a high end retailer or walmart.

0 Kudos
Advisor

did you ever stop to think (i doubt it) that if the govts. ( fed-state-local) didn't spend so dam much money on stupid crap that you wouldn"t have to have so much tax money coming in to pay for it. 

example: my little school district had a superintendent that they wanted to fire but they can't because they were stupid enough to give him a 5 year no cut contract. now they are paying him over 100 grand a year to drive a school bus. they then hired a new super at over 120 k per year but he hasn't passed the indiana superintendent test yet so now they have to hire a retired super ( they did this before and he don't work cheap) to make out next years budget.  am i supposed to be happy that my (and everybody elses) property taxes went up to fund this stupid crap? by the way i didn't vote for any of the school board members we now have.

if i wan't to go to a school board meeting to bring up my complaint i have to tell them ahead of time to be put on the agenda and if they don't want to hear it i will be turned down to speak at the meeting. same with the county commissioners. all i can do is write my state and federal congressmen and wait for an election that won't change a thing and guys like you worry themselves to death about somebody cheating the system. HOW ABOUT THE SYSTEM CHEATING ME ?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Run for the school board

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am talking about the impossibility of a very small business collecting dozens of different rates and sending those taxes to the tax jurisdiction. i am not talking about fairness. There has to be a better way

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

"Those" do pay property taxes. Either on real estate they own or real estate they rent. Either directly or indirectly they pay real estate taxes.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Admit it, you oppose any taxes and you would rather that selective people could avoid taxes than have adequate funding for government.  Why should amazon.com avoid sales tax because you think government wastes too much.  Should we let local businesses out as well? Why not make online retailers pay 10% sales taxes and local businesses pay nothing. At least they invest and hire in our neighborhoods.

0 Kudos