cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Kansas Property Tax

It seems to me that the State of Kansas is charging me over $1000.00 per truck to operate in their state.

that tax is for Personal Property tax on the trucks that I own in Nebraska.  We haul DDG's and grain to feedlots and mills in Kansas and haul Rock, Sand and Grains to businesses back in Nebraska..

I'm just wondering if they have confused something and are unjustly charging me taxes on my equipment..

BTW - I'm Pro-rated in 6 states and pay fuel and registration fees thru Nebraska to those states..

just wondering.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Kansas Property Tax

We hauled calves to sale last week, and bumped into the guy who I call to haul corn in for me occasionally.  He seemed to have less license plates on his truck than before.  I asked why, and he said that the fees for some states are getting pretty steep, and he decided the business he does there doesn't justify what it costs to have the truck registered there anymore.

I know it is a very vague answer, but it seems that out-of-state fees are going up, from what he said.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Is that cost paid through the proration or is it additional fees?  It's been a while since I worked with commercial truck registrations.  If it is proration, I'd say you are getting by okay.  My cost for running a farm truck in state is about half that, but I'm not commercial.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

smokey - those are just for personal property taxes... which I don't have trucks garaged in Kansas.. those fees are in addition to the IRP, IFTA, and uniform carrier fees paid thru my liciensing state (Nebraska) and Federal Heavy Truck (2290.  $550.00 per Truck)

It's getting rediculous.. running 1998 and 2003 Model Kenworths with 1998 and 2010 trailers.... it's just crazy..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Yes, Ks isn't known for low taxes on anything.  Looking at it from my side, Nebraska is known for being very tough on farmers crossing the border into that state when hauling farm machinery.  I guess it all evens out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

This is a practice of double tax that has been going on for years with trucking organizations never willing to address this issue---we combined operations in 12/31/ 2010 and had no miles in Kansas and they are still billing us for 2011--- go figure and you wouldn't want a fleet of 20 rigs down there---some more stuff of "not" raising taxes instead we raise  " Fees"  ---  

0 Kudos