cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Keep the younger chins up....

I know you read and comment less often that any time since 2011....... and we have been way to kind to this publication as it continues to pidgin hole its readers into a uneducated version of a Norman Rockwell painting.  So we should leave farm policy to our educated bar maids from the big cities, and stay on a tighter defined list of of responses that are clearly defined for us. 

I continue to think this publication is now driven by ads and has no ties to agriculture at all...... the same folks who do the weekend yard sale adds and garrage sale notices.    But philosphically,  what is up with the "horible POTUS china trade talks are the root of all evil" from quoted gurus on Marketing, and then a slap to contributers for simply "going there"???   Is the ownership here intending to change the conservative leaning midwest with this little publication?  Or just taking vengeance on a few deplorable that might have voted against the slimy little angel with the magical Foundation ??

Anyway I am done wasting time contributing here... Most producers I know and see working in our area have better marketing resources "in house" than what is talked about here,,, now that we have lost our seasonality and storage/freight premium how does planned hedging from a quotable "insider" really work..... and out here in the field --associations with end user community abound.... from investment positions to shared production planning or shared facility use.  Another thing you do in tough years ... make associations... Marketing is information -- direct if possible.  We should be talking tech marketing and apps to end users......not how to do it like grandpa did.  It is like going to chicago for marketing information ... our Stone account is handled out of the KC office and the info there is great.  We work directly with two regional grain broakers that compete for grain in the area based in KC and Amarllo.

These folks know where and who has storage and can help you find a competitive bid.  Just get to know them.  They are directing trucks throughout your area daily.  There are no special coop speakers who have answers to the new world futures based marketing plan.  God knows usda hasn't got a clue what China has on storage..... they only repeat what the chinese traders plan is.  We sold our system for a fast buck.

12 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Keep the younger chins up....

SW - Interesting  points,  although  being  over  optimistic  on  my  part  sides  more  with  realistic,  border-line  how  will  this  look  a  decade  from  now  -  -  -

I've   witnessed  politicians  recite  smiley,  rainbow  scenarios,  with  '' their ''  unannounced  future  being  another  Gov.  gig,  or  a  board  of  director  job  due  to  have  known  the  proper  folks  that  guide  them  in  a  carefully  crafted  road  map  of  opportunity  -   hint  K  street  -  maybe ? 

I  was  blessed  in  some  way  to  have  witnessed  some  folks , clamoring  to  the  top,  with  unmentionable  antics,  with  the  actions  being  dismissed  with  scripts  of  hard  nosed  business  tactics  excuses  -  only  to  find  out  how  lonely  it  can  be  at  the  top  -   -   -

The   banner  of  feeding  the  planet,  from  our  export  shipping  locations,  was  soaked  up  in  a   somewhat  resemblance  of  sailors  off   6  month  deployment - including  myself,  and  if  it's  to  good  to  be  true,  we  know  ( are  living ) the  rest  -  -  - 

Grandpa's  secret  sauce  of  honest ,  18  hour  days,  have  become a  laughing  stock,  for  the  moment  -  as  we  spray  our  way  to  the  promised  land  -  -  -                   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Sw. I’ve always enjoyed your post and thought they Added value to this site. You will be greatly missed if you stop contributing. Btw since you communicate with hobby tell him he is greatly missed as well. May you receive adequate and timely rain this summer
Veteran Advisor

ditto * 2

Honored Advisor

SW, I would say keep contributing, you have no idea who or how many you affect by sharing your thoughts.  Many that view are too lazy to engage in a discussion if they disagree.  Some run on emotion and one thing about the written word logic translates better than emotion.  Smiley Happy  

But there`s a cat affectionately called "numbers" on the other site that doesn`t like the current administration and is a cheerleader for a depression just to justify his political views.  There are some "here" that I see are being clever flying under Ishmael`s radar with a harmless "USDA link" they want rural America in the gutter and then kick us for our 2016 votes "$3 beans, Dow index down 40% har har har! Had enough yet???" ...none of those things happened but just to reverse the 2016 election it would sure be worth in in their minds. 

Typing about our experiences is therapeutic and sometimes rehashing it in the written page helps you interpret it better....until Ishmael deletes it  Smiley Very Happy    

But with marketing, the really smart people aren`t sharing, no one understands the Jerry Gulkies, but grandpa just keeps going ...there is something to being a raise it, bin it, sell it farmer you know.   A crop in the field, a crop in the bin and a crop in the bank.  But a BTO would take a grandpa warchest and parlay that into a operation 10 times larger.  Those of us in the cheap seats can only watch Sue on Market to Market one week and get bullish and the next week Darrin Newsome let`s the air out of our ballons.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

SW - Interesting  points,  although  being  over  optimistic  on  my  part  sides  more  with  realistic,  border-line  how  will  this  look  a  decade  from  now  -  -  -   I don't feel optimistic..... Most of what we are being encouraged to talk about in marketing has no future--it's a system that has been replaced  transfered to an international format without the integrity of being supervised or controled by SEC.   Coops and supply systems are ready for takeover...we just gotta figure out who we go to work for and hope we find a spot.

Politics and giving out congressional seats for favors or awarding POWs a lifetime celebrity is all pretty much a side show..But the point is we must decide what is important and what is largely fluff that grabs the eyes and diverts attention.  Most of what is in the press is fluff.  Media is just a tool...has nor moral code or integrity.... Like farm bureau an insurance company claiming to care by parasiting off of the "American Farmer" logo which gives them captive clients.  For SF we are just part of the logo.

The   banner  of  feeding  the  planet,  from  our  export  shipping  locations,  was  soaked  up  in  a   somewhat  resemblance  of  sailors  off   6  month  deployment - including  myself,  and  if  it's  to  good  to  be  true,  we  know  ( are  living ) the  rest  -  -  - Your taking it very personally, but "feeding the planet" campaign was primarily a slogan to save USDA budget in congressional spending terms...Jobs for bureaucrats.----at best it slowed the exit from farming for a few, but not really.

Deployment is using US patriotism as a tool to accomplish something... makes more sense than the way we use voters, our legal system, gambling, sports, drugs, poverty, and tax law for power over each other.

Grandpa's  secret  sauce  of  honest ,  18  hour  days,  have  become a  laughing  stock,  for  the  moment  -  as  we  spray  our  way  to  the  promised  land  -  -  - In the US lifting a finger to call it work is "a laughing stock".  We all think we are going to inherit Microsoft stock.  -- I hadn't envisioned my sprayer as a root of evil unitl now... It was my tool into changing my little part of the world.....and getting me to the finish line -----but it has been obvous that congress has intended for years to bring sprayers to their powerless air release by cripling chemical research while stimulating biological research ..... So maybe there is a plan for all those inner city kids who grew up on the congressional education department..... a hoe. in one sense of the word or another and an ever growing drug supply. 

I keep envisioning the dicamba as being the cure for cancer..... since the old 60's chemicals are still our only answer to resistant weed varieties....  haven't tried it injected yet..... or marketing little viles in Colorado.  This part of the country just breeds that kind of renegade.    I better get my meds, bloods looking a bit thin.    

I wrote once about attempting to set up a new generation on a farm ---the subject of regeneration????? doesn't sound right.... memory isn't as good aswas ten yrs back..."getting younger ones started."  the proper words are just not there much these days.... and Kay from North Carolina who wrote so well on here pops up instead. I really miss her and Kraft T who is probably gone now...as I remember.  Anyway I always wanted to recount how that came out but I lost faith in the website and realized I wasn't sharing in any real sense.  And in most cases sharing in a real sense ....... only old folks have time for...and old sixties folks......most of us are getting sick of those spoiled brats.  Trying to make dueling advertisements look like legitimate material didn't work.......

Anyway,  the young couple were given a share in a working farm, got paid very well on an hourly basis so they didn't have to live on their equity.   Watched it grow for 3-4 years   Clearly did not have the metal for real work, nor the heart to take care of others..... the two things most required..... when corn prices fell below $5 they hired a lawyer, quit the job and demanded the value of the share they paid nothing to get.  Instead of draging them through the court process of determining the value of that share in real terms, We saw that they were bought out and cashed in their chance.

It is a great book......... "what do you do with a chance?"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_fYv3UrSlQ

There is a good movie that came out in 2016 about the life of an editor........... good copy editors are similar to accountants the spend a lot of quiet time making sense out of other peoples great work.  Trying to fit it into IRS forms or books of brilliant art fitting a short attention span readers small head.

It is called "Genius" ,,,,,,,,,, I think that refers to Thomas Wolf the author who could paint the world like a Sistine Chapel from a machine gun of words in his short life.  But the movie and book are about the life of Max the copy editor who guided the works of Wolf, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, and others from a little office in a publishing business in New York in 1929.    I saw the box office returns on this movie so I know not too many farmers went to town to see it.... and who would want to watch an editor read 1700 pages to get 300 of content...... it is hard to recognize talent and opportunity and the show makes that point along with saying..... it is how we choose to see it.  And what we choose to base our life on.  It is a good substitute for a good read when you get a chance.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Sw  &  more  -  Even  though  we  are  a  diminishing  numbers  camp  - with  experts  being  an  oversupply ,  as  grain  or  livestock  or  other  growing  produce -  -   -

I  find  it  interesting  how  we  seem  to  vent  our  frustrations  toward  the  younger  generation ,  myself  included ,  or  those  organic  crazy  consumers ,   or  U S D A  -   -   -

Solutions  of  reason  are  a  scarce ,  short  supply  -  and  I'm  aware  of  how  concerned  the  Beltway  or  K  Street  really  are ,  when  your  a  thin  numbered  minority  -  -  -              

0 Kudos
Advisor

Good Post , Sw. I have addressed what has transpired on this website in other posts, and agree with most of  your observations. Someone is trying to provide "leadership" here , and not recognizing the mood and political leanings of the majority of farmers and businessmen...excuse me...business people.

It can get depressing not knowing what the future is. Back in college, I was required to read a book by a Nigerian author named Chinua Achebe. The book was "Things Fall Apart" and detailed the turmoil caused by the colonial takeover, as religion, social status, economic livliehoods, etc were all dismantled.

A lot of that could happen here in the USA if the communist powers are successful. Many institutions that were formerly good are now imbedded with communists that would make the red scare of the 50's seem like a picnic. We basically elected a communist to the highest office of America in 2008. Trump was an unlikely antidote and his election is still being fought...parties daily try to invalidate the results of 2016, and the owners of this website obviously were not pleased either. 

This is extremely Un-American and profoundly disturbing . There are plenty of other websites to post on SW, a good one is New Ag Talk, and another is Baledhay.com. I enjoy your posts and hope to continue to see them somewhere.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I  always  find  it  interesting  how  condoning  major  consolidation,  with  loss  of  market  options  as  being  part  of  a  good  process  -  ? 

For   the  new  generation,  I'm  guessing  the  goings  on  of  the  likes  of   Top  Producer  of  2012 , Stamp  Farms ,  could  be  a  reality  check - maybe  - ?

When  the  consolidation  of  the  Land  Grants ,  states  counties  &  townships,  and  a  reset  of  legislative  districts,  give  us  a  time  to  reflect  on  a  B  T  O  - Pride - /

Oh  well  that's  the  way  it  goes,  and  when  things  get  tight , at  least  you  have  the  millennial's  to  blame  and  wait  for  the  tariff  profit  to  kick  in - ?          

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Evolution seems to be real.  As things move on, sometimes it's time for us all to move on.

Another way to say it is if you don't like what you hear from the pulpit maybe it's time to find another church.