cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Latest survey on poor in America

It's now official, the latest census statistics state that nearly 1 in 2 people in America fall into the poor and impoverished category.  At a time when food for the average American costs less than 10 percent of disposable income, something is wrong with the economic system where people cannot afford food in America.  It's one thing to be unable to afford nutritious food in Nigeria or the Sahara, but another in the U.S. of A..  I post this here because this national disgrace is about food and we are part of the giant industry that grows and processes raw ingrediants into foodstuffs. 

This goes back to the debate elsewhere in this web site that average wage earners are not making a living wage.  Larry Burkett and his organization that focused on "managing your money" has said, "if you are going to hire a worker for your business, first ask yourself if you could live on the wages you will be paying him/her.  if you cannot, you should not hire unless you are willing to raise the wages that you can live on." 

Forget about Gingriche and other political candidate's comments about the poor.  They haven't a clue how to solve this fundamental problem.

Link here.  http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?ps=1018&rip_id=%3CD9RKOHOO0%40news.ap.org%3E&news_id=187499...

0 Kudos
64 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Latest survey on poor in America

"Larry Burkett and his organization that focused on 'managing your money" has said, "if you are going to hire a worker for your business, first ask yourself if you could live on the wages you will be paying him/her.  if you cannot, you should not hire unless you are willing to raise the wages that you can live on."'"

I'm not following the logic here.  How is the potential worker better off with nothing rather than something?  

Maybe its not the ideal wages, but perhaps it could be a stepping stone and would look better on a resume than simply listing being unemployed for future job searches.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Perhaps a business that can't afford living wages for its employees should go out of business and make room for a business that can afford to pay living wages.

Does anyone doubt that Walmark could pay living wages? Why doesn't one of the most successful businesses in the US pay a living wage and benefits? Perhaps treating their employees well is low on their agenda if it is on their agenda at all.

Why should people that care for each other patronize a firm that has little compassion for anyone except their managment and stockholders.

Walmart is the ultimate BTO. They keep growing and expanding without regard for their competitors in the market place. For those of you that hate your neighborhood BTO, why would you patronize Walmart?

0 Kudos
Advisor

It's the moral principle of paying a living wage, rather than paying only enough to make it impossible for the employee to escape his cycle of poverty. 

I would say that a happy, well motivated employee that is paid enough to live on the wages will be more productive in the long run and actually make the employer more money.  People forget that training a new employee every couple years costs in money, time and machinery breakdowns due to inexperience.  They never factor any of that in when figuring what a good employee is.

The problem with stepping stone wages is that the employer rarely has the incentive to offer opportunity.  I understand some businesses are limited in opportunity, but too often, it's not been a good thing.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Who come up with the figure of   "" 10% "" --- another spin the wheel of the average of percentages----like the ""jobs numbers""   of 6 million man hours of Keystone XL---  6 million  div.  by 40hrs.- div. by 52 weeks = 2882--- kind of a far cry of 20,000--- word smith at it's finest--- $400 clear a week x 10%  divided by 7 =  lots of grilled chese sandwhichs I guess--- 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

"It's the moral principle of paying a living wage, rather than paying only enough to make it impossible for the employee to escape his cycle of poverty. "

"The problem with stepping stone wages is that the employer rarely has the incentive to offer opportunity."

Both of these statements seem to assume that the employee is unable to apply for a job at a a different company or even start their own business with the skills they have learned.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Have you ever taken any courses at a Small Business center...say, at a community college?

I have endured one on writing a business plan, one night a week for about six weeks.  This was probably a dozen years ago, since I took our older daughter along for the learning opportunity. 

Most people, even those who go to the trouble and expense of such training, have no clue what it entails to start up and run a business.  I heard out of our classmates a lot of speculation about how much their boss was making off of them, and never had to lift a finger to do it. 

My thinking is that most employees think about the gross of a business, not the net.  They don't see the countless hours a small enterpreneur puts in to just get to the point of hiring the first worker.  I have a family member (a jackass of a BIL) whose idea was to wangle a million bucks capital out of my family, so he could start a business, then hire someone esls to run it.  Nice work if you can get it, I suppose. 

Frankly, if you don't make a great employee for someone else, your chances of being a successful businessperson in your own right are slim to none.  I am sure we all know exceptions, but they are notable because they are so rare.  

And, I don't know who put down grilled cheese sandwiches; but, if you use real butter in the skillet, that is some good eating!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smokey, this whole situation leaves me in confusion.  We spend an average of 10% of income for food,. which is significantly less than most of the rest of the world...yet, we still cannot make it on the other ninety.    I do think that at least some of this must be due to poor priority setting in some instances.

When you talk to our friend Soilbabe on the women's page, she can tell you the behaviors she sees in her client base.  I think it would be fair to sum the majority of the problem up in a simple phrase: "Poor choices." 

If you ask most people on hard times, their explanation is "bad luck." 

If you compare the two phrases, the first assumes at least some conscious power to affect one's state in life.  The second places all blame outside oneself...the stars just didn't line up right.   

I will let you decide which you think is at work. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Do the math and grilled cheze might be a staple---seems 2880 jobs verses the tossed about number of 20,000 is troubling and not a job utopia--- some wonder how their numbers are at 9% approval--- 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I have a friend who is a manager at Wal-Mart and is very happy there. Good pay, and decent benefits. Had to work hard at it to get there, though. Haven't talked to him since they changed the benefits package to see what he thinks now, though.
0 Kudos