cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Latest survey on poor in America

It is better to pay a person so he/she can feed the family and not have to seek welfare, food stamps or school lunches to feed the family.  It may be reasonable in the employer's mind to pay a certain wage, but too often the person receiving low wages receives criticism for being a poor manager of money when the real issue is low wages. 

Since the issue of Christianity was mentioned in the message, it's an even greater imperative for Christians to treat their fellow human beings with fairness and compassion at all times, not just when someone runs out of money because of a low wage job.  This is not suggesting we throw money at anyone without correctly assessing the need.  Perhaps the person needs help with managing finances, help with setting up and keeping a budget and sometimes the money issue works its way out for the better.  But often, it's more than a matter of management that is the cause of poverty.  The book of James addresses this in even harsher terms than I have.  He labels it as outright stealing and theivery from those who work in the field, not a good thing for a follower of God to be accused of doing.

Again, the most important critieria one can follow prior to hiring someone is to justify the expense to see if the business can sustain it and the employee is paid a living wage.  Otherwise, it is merely perpetuating a serious condition of poverty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

A year ago, I had cataracts removed from both eyes.  Cost a bundle for each one.  Insurance copay covered less than half.  Later, I noticed a blurry field of vision, they said I had waited too long to get them replaced.  I told them they had told me I had months to go before it would be necessary when I insisted the operation be done.  They never credited me for the mix up.  They did offer a YAG laser treatment to clear up the vision.  Cost me another $700 per eye.  I was in the doctor's treatment room for less than five minutes for one eye.  About every six or seven minutes another patient went through the room for treatment.  The doctor makes a killing on these treatments, which were not covered by insurance, around $6 to 7000K/hour.  Even after deducting operating expenses and overhead, I would like to compare their wages to the staff in the waiting room.  I would say the ratio is as high as any corporate executive to employee ratio in America.

The point, like your mention of the book's author, great disparity in wages and benefits between upper and lower levels of employees.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Who runs the food pantry there?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I smell a rat. Did all of those patients " wait too long", too? Wnder if they would have done a better job in the first place, if they didn'thave that YAG to pay for?
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Read the article on   krvn.com  ---

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The ONLY reason I came back the second day, was because when I signed on, I gave my word I'd help finish his 'three day' job. I was going to put those in, to be true to my word. After the middle of the second day, boss man realized that the attitude of you are my slave, and can easily be replaced wasn't working, and when he mellowed out, it made it tolerable. The high pay didn't hurt, though. Secondly, sorry for the bad spelling. Auto spell correction can be a pain. Also, this discussion makes me wish Kay lived nearby, and needed a guy for a couple half days a week. Sounds like a good boss.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Wish some of guys lived here, too. We used to pay local guys to pressure wash with our equipment and fuel, three days every two weeks, and paid b the job. A thorough washing takes about four hours in the summertime, six or so in the winter, when the fans aren't pulling as much dust out, and the penning material tends to take longer. We paid $100. This is in an area where $9 an hour at a big distribution center is defined as a " living wage", so we felt the money was quite fair...say $15-25 per hour. I have done this work ..it is dirty, but not difficult. You can stick earphones on, crank up some music, and it flies pretty quickly. We even provided the CD player, rain suit and boots. A guy with gumption could earn an extra $600 a month, and could work any hours he wanted to, as long as he got the job fit Into a regular window of downtime days. The problem here is finding anyone with that gumption. Work ethic is just MIA in moat here....
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I can see both sides. For example, is it better for an employer to hire more workers, at a modest wage, or fewer, and work them like dogs? Do that, and he'd be a slavedriver. If that is all he can afford, isnt it better to hire people, and pay 'something' rather than 'nothing'? Keep in mind, we are competing with China now, and too high costs will drive the jobs away permanently. For example, I needed a new cordless drill, and searched and searched for a made in USA one, and couldn't. Every one I could find, in every store was made in China, Tiawan, Mexico, or some other country. I did find one that was made in Mexico, with Us and foreign components. On the other hand, I also see a trend in big corporations to pay the upper management more and more for paper shuffling, at the expense of the wages and benefits of the average worker, and that is a trend I don't like.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I had hogs, and been there, done that. Skid steer the big chunks, shovel the corners, and wash. Take this as me just saying what I believe is true, and not bragging, but I only worked on one or two crews where more than one or two guys did more than I did through the day. Trying to find people to help carry out aluminum irrigation pipes out in July if you want a challenge.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Problem is, when those companies close down, the void is filled with stuff made in China, instead of a new made in USA company.
0 Kudos