cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Latest survey on poor in America

Yes, there are people that abuse the system.  That's nothing new anywhere you work and in any business.  Look at MF Global, AIG and the investment banks that abused the system, and we the taxpayer are paying for their benefits all the way.

The system needs to reward those who are actually trying to move away from assistance and penalize those who like to live off of someone else's dime.  It should also recognize those who truly are unemployable, due to physical or mental disabilities and continue working with them to keep them within the system and stabilize their quality of life. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I generally agree with those sentiments.  One thing that should be clear is there is a difference between an entry level job where the pay begins low and rachets upwards as the worker gains training and experience, and a job that will never pay more than minimum wages because the purpose of the job is to only benefit the employer and there is no reward for doing well.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I do not wish to argue in an unfair manner.  I am honestly confused why you think my previous response was not directly in reference to your post immediately prior to it. 

I believe the goal posts were moved when I had defended an employer making an honest, but perhaps lower wage job offer and paying as agreed.  Your response was to reference a college which did a bait and switch.  My example has no such questionable quality.  I still think offering a low wage job can be done honestly and without oppression.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

When a company designs it's " work force" to less than full time by fractions seems to have a some what of an intent wouldn't you say--- 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smokey, you may want to begin worrying about yourself, if you are starting to think like me....
0 Kudos
Advisor

Kay, I could do much worse.  :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Agreed. Right on target.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I completely disagree.  The cost of food is part of the problem not part of the cure and food is an excellent example. What percentage of our population is involved in food production and what percentage of those are in that 1 out of 2? I remember what these numbers were when I served on Secretary Glickman's "small" farm commission.  I'm sure they have got worse.  Raw commodities, including food raw ingredients, are not valued very well in the US.  What we have is a corporate and government takeover of our free market economy at the expense of the working and non-working poor. The government and the corporations take too big of a chunk of the GDP.  This was very predictable.  We either had to bring the rest of the globe up to our standard of living or we have a large portion of our society that has to go down to their standard of living. 

0 Kudos

Which is a problem for rich people because most wealth is dependent on someone else paying their debt or someone buying a product.

I suppose that it is theoretically possible that the US could have a large class of low wage serfs who exported to more affluent consumers elsewhere and thus maintained a wealthy class in style.

But that seems pretty unlikely because those wealthy foreign consumers will have their own wage serfs to produce goods for them- or else their wealth is kaput as well.

No mass consumer, no mass wealth.

So I'd say this is as big of a problem for the wealthy as it is for the poor although they probably don't think so.

I need to retrieve the quote from Galbraith that I was previously using for a tag, to the effect of "people of privelege will risk everything before surrendering any material degree of advantage."

A problem for agriculture, too, I think.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The one from "Galbraith" is a precious gem ---also when speaking of the poor in America it seems ironic we conduct trade on an accelerated pace with Asia and pretty much avoid with few exceptions our neighbors in Central and South America where 3rd world satus is just a few miles away---   

0 Kudos