cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Lesser Prairie Chicken designation

Has anyone in Western Kansas investigated the implications of the designation of the Lesser Prairie Chicken as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act? It does not look good for the oil and gas industry.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken designation

This was on AgWeb awhile back. In parts of NW Kansas you can enroll land into the CRP and expect it to get taken simply because this land has been designated an environment that will sustain Lesser Prairie Chickens. My guess is , with the new designation of endangered species USDA will sweeten the deal and pay up considerably better for CRP new enrollment. From reading the article I'd say the cattle guys are about to acquire a life style that many would consider "A living Hell". http://www.agweb.com/article/saving_the_lesser_prairie_chicken_what_landowners_should_know_NAA_Unive...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Are them chickens good to eat? You know, like a little chicken fry on a Friday night.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I don't know. The only one we ever got was run over when my kid was driving without his glasses and mashed him flat. He was a whole lot lesser of a prairie chicken the was before.
0 Kudos