cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Like to see high school required ag class.

A certain number of credits are required to graduate high school, 3 yrs of English, 2 yrs social studies, 2 yrs math, 2 yrs science and stuff...Well, I`d like to see a 1yr course on agriculture geared towards future consumers. 

It could include "how to safely pass a combine on the road"  "Where does milk come from?"  "how to buy hamburger and safely store it and prepare it?"  Have field trips to farms and explain the economics of cost of production.

In years past home economics covered some of this, but I don`t know if they have those classes anymore.   But it seems to me, we have farm visits field trips for elementary kids, but high school is neglected and that`s where this information would be valuable.  I mean if at age 18 they can vote but believe that a "cow must be slaughtered to collect milk", they will not make informed decisions at the ballot box or the super market.

But a future consumer agricultural course would check the boxes of common core, with the math of a grocery budget and the science of food preservation.  Many kids are 2, 3 generations removed from the farm and don`t have the grandpa to correct the fake agricultural news they are exposed to.  

0 Kudos
12 Replies
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Like to see high school required ag class.

Like a tour to  Wright County Egg  - maybe ?

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

🙂  well, that`s probably and unfortunately why those that could be instrumental in setting up a class and tours aren`t really excited about setting something like this up beyond a elementary "petting zoo".   High schoolers can sometimes ask questions that would rather not be answered.  However, if we think we can fly under the radar, then we shouldn`t be surprised when social media and certain college professors fill the void and set the narrative.

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

There are required personal finance classes in high school.  I guess that's good.  I taught my kids that stuff, and most of you taught your kids.  Somebody isn't teaching their kids.

Is there time enough in school to teach about real life while we're teaching them math and science?  Sad question that anyone looks to school to teach what can/should be taught at home.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well, they think kids need sex education....and I suppose the schools should teach it, because have you seen some the parents behavior in that department?  🙂   We have driver`s ed, parents don`t have time to teach their kids driving skills and maybe the school can do better in some cases.

But right now in probably most school communities, if the student chooses to neglect the classes, they can get a high school diploma without knowing were the meat, milk and eggs come from before it hits the super market.   Well, some "cash me outside" girl on You Tube fills in the void that the science books and classes leave out.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

I've  noticed  several  ''AG ''  items  on  you  tube ,  soooo  now  what ?

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

They barely teach American history in school anymore so why would they teach ag?

You want them to know about ag you have to teach it yourself.

Dad's and son's birthday party yesterday so I took several of my grand-kids to the field.

We checked corn moisture on different soil types and soybeans for diseases in a couple suspicious areas.

It isn't just the students - we need to educate the teachers as well.

Many of them don't have an ag background either.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Jim I admire you if you actually did teach farming economics at home...... or even personal budgeting......... few do....

I complain regularly about feel good education and education failure since it was federalized in 1980...... But there is no failure comparison to the failure of education within the home.

And the advent of cellphone and internet in every moms hand or ear is insanely stupid....  

We can track our kids, the dumb ones,  but most teach very little to their children or teach the wrong lessons much louder than the right lessons.

Children, more than ever, are responsible for their own education and the bar has been lowered very low.

Immigration is a big issue these days but no one talks about the immigration of the educationally qualified to keep our businesses running, or the foreign students who make up an ever growing share of our student populations.....  We find it much easier to find farm experience in foreign applicants..... especially those who have been working in the US for a few years.  More likely to know technology as it applies to farming equipment and more interested in working the long hours required in certain times of the year.  

There are just not enough people involved in agriculture in the US.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

SW -- your  last  sentence  says  explains  95%  the  whole  issue---

Having a mandatory AG class taught by whom, and expert trying to explain the a's & nay's something like dicamba or the economics of planting of seed that will return a negative net ? How do you encourage participation ?          

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

And what does that teacher know about agriculture......? 

More likely to be a politically charged, back to nature, communal farming advocate than an experienced agronomist with lots of chemistry and math background.

We are not preparing teachers to teach much other than the political line.  That is why I hate to see a department of education in Washington.  Education will be lost.