cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dantheman5544
Visitor

Re: Long Distance Farming-Is it worth my time?

I figure I'll spend about 360 hours in the field at the 1000 ac farm. spring tillage thru fall tillage.

0 Kudos
dantheman5544
Visitor

Re: Long Distance Farming-Is it worth my time?/Custom Farming Fee?

not sure on the custom farming rate.  Would you trust someone to custom farm rented land when you live 80 miles away?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

No --------------- management time is increased and you still have the expense of the extra equipment.

0 Kudos
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

I live 160 miles north of the farmland I own in Iowa and I Custom Farm all 9 farms I own. Of course I own all the land, I don't rent any of my land, so a little different from your situation. I have had the same Custom Operators for 20 years now. They do a great job and I trust them completely. They send me e-mails alot during the crop season to keep me aware of issues. I also go down there 1-2 times per month during the growing season. Custom Farming all my farmland has worked great for me and it has the highest Return on Investment Ratio.

0 Kudos
colorofmoney
Frequent Contributor

I would also question the large jump in acres but the miles don't scare me.   For us from the northern most ground to the southern most ground is 55 miles.  Takes some logistics and planning but it has worked out very well.  We drive almost all of the equipment, have only hauled the mower a couple times.  It depends on your operation on how hard it is and how much help you can get to move or get rides back to vehicles. We added a grain cart and semi shortly after expanding miles as a semi is a lot easier to move than say 2 or 3 sets of wagons. We sure wouldn't be afraid to travel a little farther if we can get good ground.

0 Kudos
isuFarmer2013
Friend

Definitely go for it! If you pick up an 80 or two inbetween then it makes the trip not quite as long. but i'm curious, as I bet everyone else reading this forum is...How does one come across a situation to rent out 1,000 acres ? I'm a young farmer, always looking for new ways to to go about picking up land. Thanks!

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Isu. Just go bid against your old neighbors, find the landlord info at the registrar. There is no reason for you to collude and play nice w the old guys. If you do, you let them win and you starve to death.
0 Kudos