cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Meat is the first thing to go

Jump to solution

I don't disagree with you regarding the nutritional elements, at all. I've posted about that in great length over the years.

But try selling that to WalMart. Coca-Cola, Pepsi/Frito etc.  The corporate welfare aspects of nutrition programs may be unsavory but remember, if anyone is worried about continuing to get Farm Bills passed I'd suggest that they hold their noses and put up with some smelly bedfellows.

0 Kudos
dennymal
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

Amen-You are exactly right

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
Commodity distribution ( gubmint cheese, etc.) still occurs, as far as I know. I do not know the rules on eligibility.

Part of the problem with changing the system now is the number of even small, local groceries in what are called " food deserts in areas where most, if not all, food purchases are made by SNAP and WIC. Losing those sellers would create a distribution nightmare for getting food to the poor.

Another part of the problem I think is the " junkification" of the American diet overall. Too many non- nutitious calories, too much convenience food that contributes to the loss of food preparation skills, dvelopment of taste prefernces in young kids that train them to like this poor palatabilot for a lifetime, and for generations to come.

Most of this did not exist, or at least not to the extent, that it does now, when programs were founded. WIC is more stringent on whole foods, but even then, there are leanings towards some nutrients above others.

I think it is safe to say that there is more " documented" fraud in crop indurance than food aid. Would likely be as a percentage, since there are so few farmers compared to many millions on food assistance. Wonder how the dollar amounts compare, what the taw numbers are, etc.

One farmer makng a false claim reaches a money benchmark much faster than a household with only a few $$$ a month in benefits. I would say I have known two families on food stamps well enough to know that both traded them for money or other assets...so??? Is that actionable food stamp fraud?

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Re: What would you do?

Jump to solution

Kay -Could you go to an AG collage and try that for an employee - just a thought ---

0 Kudos
EMNJK
Contributor

Jump to solution

I get the point you're making about their comments, but comparing crop subsidies to food stamps is just as ludacris as thinking there is a universal look for crackheads.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
That is a good suggestion, but the few kids here who get ag-related degrees are into their own family's operations. My employee position is as a production worker in our swine nurseries. This means he power washes buildings behind a lot of feeder pigs, helps stock weaners, load out feeders, and vaccinates in between.

We have a guy now who is working out pretty well. He came off of our county's " welfare to work" program. They had gotten him into the habit of showing up on time and putting in forty hours for about a year, before referring him to us. He has a naturally sweet personality, although with a criminal background. He has four children under the age of eight.

We provide a living wage equal to the industry in our region, plus an on-farm residence with all bills paid. Not a bad deal. This guy told my daughter, who is his direct supervisor, that this is really the first time in his life that he has had money to buy things for himself and his family.

The light bulb appears to be coming on in his mind...I only hope we don't have a power failure down the line,

EMNJK
Contributor

Jump to solution

That sounds like an amazing program your county has.  And kudos to you for helping to make it work.  I'm going to have to do a little research to see if our county has a program like that.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
Our county is extremely poor...classified as Tier 1 in the state's economic development lexicon. The director of social services has been very proactive in instituting the Work First policies of the state.

Not all takers can be cost effectively transformed into producing members of society. This young guy has no driver's license, so having a house where you work/ job where you live setup was crucial for his transition.

He has essentially moved into the fringes of the middle class. I say fringes, because he and his wife arrive here with ruined credit and enough past legal problems to essentially hamper their ability to buy big-ticket items.

Probably a good thing, in a way...they are for ed to save for those. He has actually asked if he can schedule his first earned vacation to take a family cruise next summer...can you picture moving from welfare to that in less than a year?
0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

No it is not. Corn bean and wheat welfare is every bit as much welfare as are food stamps. In fact, the food stamps are more logical in that hungry people are being fed and crop subsidies are fattening up millionaires wallets.

Drug testing farm subsidy recipients is just as logical as drug testing food stamp recipients. That is if you actually give a **bleep** about how tax payer benefits are spent.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Kraft, give us a break.  The ignorant masses may believe that but the money spent on ag had reason and intent to benefit the general public from the start.  The Government just forgot their greater good projects and plans.  They are just too busy being "celebrities" to serve the public.  They are AWOL and on a spending spree.  Using the publics money to pay for votes.  If you are going to stretch it that far lets follow the federal grant money trail.

Kay and Kraft,

Kay's example plays over and over, and is not limited to the poor.  Folks with letters behind their name and good pay stubs make some of the most foolish spending mistakes.

We are a society that is technology Rich and intelligence poor. 

Kay you will know this employee has made it into the middle class workforce when he reasons that he cannot afford a cruise(or better) every year because his job doesn't pay enough.  

I have resolved myself to an understanding that many are not willing or capable of the sacrafice it takes to acquire assets.  Renting  and the occasional short term enjoyment of a well deserved bonus are as good as it is going to get.

Also the absolute realization that far too often, those who won't say no are the ones who cannot afford to say yes.

0 Kudos