cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Mountain lion spotted in Oskaloosa, Iowa

Say Faust, the little kittens are back playing in Iowa again, better get that new rifle you bought zeroed in for around 100 yards or so to make sure you can hit one of these Mountain Lions. Believe it was 3-4 years ago that a guy in my part of Northern Iowa shot one that was around his hogs. They had a picture of the guy and the Mountain Lion he shot in the local paper. It actually looked to be a fairly good-sized one and well fed from the deer he had been eating. I believe that since Iowa doesn't have an actual hunting season on Mountain Lions, some guy told me you could shoot them anytime of the year if they were causing trouble with your livestock. But don't hold me to that statement since I really don't know the rules on shooting Mountain Lions in Iowa. Article isbelow:

*************************************************************************************************************************

Mountain lion spotted in Oskaloosa, Iowa

A mountain lion was spotted in Oskaloosa over the weekend and officials asked residents to report any further sightings by calling 911.

Residents spotted the animal on Saturday around 3 p.m. in the northeast quadrant of the city, officials said. The big cat was traveling northbound.

Police responded but couldn’t find the animal.

Oskaloosa police asked all residents to be aware and cautious and to call 911 if they see the mountain lion.

If anyone encounters the animal they should back slowly away and leave the area.

Mountain lion spottings are relatively rare in Iowa cities but police have had confirmed sightings.

In October 2012, Des Moines police shot and killed a mountain lion in a north Des Moines neighborhood, the first time they had ever done so.

In September 2011, a trail camera in Clinton County captured the image of a young mountain lion.

More often though, officials get phone calls from people claiming to see the big cats but are unable to confirm the sightings.

One was reportedly spotted in Norwoodville in July 2012 but deputies found no evidence of the animal’s presence.

In 2005, residents around Des Moines’ Waveland Golf Course reported a string of mountain lion sightings, none of which were confirmed.

Mountain lions in Iowa are likely young males that have been kicked out of their territories and are in search of space, food and mates.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Mountain lion spotted in Oskaloosa, Iowa

LMAO!   rsw the DNR Biologists last Summer told me there were no mountain lions in Iowa, even though there was a special meeting held a year ago in Lucas County attended by farmers having problems in surrounding counties.  It is a joke . . . everyone   knows they turned them loose to help control the deer population in Southern Iowa.  Soon we are going to start having feral hog problems, and they will claim that they wondered in from Missouri.

Just another example of our government lying to us.  They claimed they did not tun the bobcats loose, and I am sure they did not turn the otters loose, or protect the hawks, owls, and eagles and started the wild turkeys which has decimated the pheasant populations in Southern Iowa.  

It is a big joke in this part of the state, I used to have hundreds of pheasants on my farms 20 years ago, today after the coyotes, the hawks, eagles, the turkeys, the raccoons and all the other varmits the tree huggers wanted protected there are few if any pheasant or quail left.  Today in my part of the woods it is easier to see a bald eagle in a tree than kick up one pheasant during corn or soybean harvest.  

The DNR has succeeded in creating an environment where pests thrive, and they have no control on them.   It is a $200 fine to kill a garter snake in Iowal, (a protected species) there are few snakes around anymore, the birds of prey took care of them and the quail.  Adios Amigo.  John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes Faust, the Iowa DNR has really screwed things up, the amount of car damage the deer are causing is completely out of control, people are really getting upset on all this car damage the deer are causing in North-Central Iowa. Pretty soon we will need to tie on a couple 2*12 pieces of lumber to the front of our cars to keep the car damage from being so severe. Seems anymore, I go down to Iowa at least 2-3 times every month during the growing season to see how my Custom Guys are doing on my farmland and I would say at least once if not 2x's a crop season I almost hit a deer. To the point were I don't like to drive at night down there on the 2-lane county roads, just way to many deer. I bought a new SUV for myself a couple of months ago and thinking of putting on one of those steel pipe front bumper guards on it just for the deer. If you hit a deer going 75 mph head-on, the chances are high that it will put the fan though the radiator and then you are dead in the water and need to get the car towed. You know, thinking about it, I really should have one of those steel pipe bumper guards installed. At least the car would still be drivable if I hit a deer with those heavy-duty steel pipe guards. Otherwise, I would be stuck down there at least one night till I could get on the I-35 buses from Des Moines to the Twin Cities. Loads of fun those bus trips are!!!!! LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Try to look at the bright side...with no game birds to hunt, you won't be on pETA's drone observation top ten list.
0 Kudos