cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

My $25 Lawnmower

Well, my 48", 25hp, 12yr old John Deere finally gave up the ghost.  The Briggs motor locked up tighter than Hogan`s goat (spun bearing or bent crank, who knows?).   To go to Home Depot and get a comparable one is +$2500, with this farm economy I don`t have that kind of money laying around, though I`m sure they`d happily put it on a Home Depot credit card with no interest for 6 months.

I bought the "fancy" mower 12yrs ago so the kids would do the mowing and they did, but lately I have no kids around so I`ve been mowing, then the other day it locked up on me.  To buy a Briggs crate motor is high priced and then I`d have a 12yr mower with a hydrostat that`s in chute #2 ready to cost me money.  

So I went to Bomgaars, they had a one day sale 12% off everything in the store and I`ve been eyeing a $399 Honda self-propelled mower...but I was gone all that day and I don`t know as I could spare even $399.95 + tax either.  So, I went to Craig`s List and there it was a non-propelled 22" Toro with a 6.75hp Tecumseh motor...for 25 bucks!  I have 25 bucks!   Before I go further, yes I know Tecumseh motors have a reputation for being a real basterd to start, but ...25 bucks!   

I would guess I have 2 acres to mow, before we had kids I always push mowed it, but I was younger then  Smiley Happy   But I bought the $25 mower and it starts and works good...maybe it`s stolen?  Smiley Surprised   Anyway I figure break the lawn into sections to mow on the weekends, I just finished half the lawn yesterday and this morning it rained me out.

But I used to buy a $150 push mower at the local hardware store and completely trash it after a season or two and buy a new one the next year.   This 12yr old John Deere really held up well...but I had just put $50 in new blades on it  Smiley Mad

Here is my $25 Craig`s List find, not exactly, but it does look good and I was able to afford it....barely.  I hope to get through this summer and then go to Home Depot after I harvest $11 beans and $4 corn and go mower shopping  Smiley Happy   ...or keep this one another season.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: My $25 Lawnmower

Congratulations on your new acquisition!!  You are really putting a c-clamp on the check book.  

When we moved off the home farm to our new place two years ago, I went from a 52" zero -turn to a 22" self-propelled walk behind.  That lasted about 1 month and I was only doing about an acre.  I then bought a new rider for about $2,000 bucks.  

I do hope your prediction  on the corn and bean price comes true and I predict you will still be shopping for a new rider mower even if your prediction comes up short Smiley Happy

After 13 + inches of rain in June and only .39" in July and a trace in Aug. our lawns are turning brown. The lawn mowers are parked. Some corn fields are turning brown and the beans will need a drink very soon or yields will be compromised.   

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Oh no, Wind.  I`m only buying what I can afford...I might have to go to grazing goats on the lawn   Smiley Happy

There is a bit of corn just now tasseling. Mike Hoffman is predicting a below normal temp August, we need heat!   The saying around here is always "Need roasting ears by Hobo Days to make a corn crop"  Well next week is Hobo Days in Britt.

https://www.britthobodays.com/   

Maybe I`ll be a hobo?   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Seems  like  waiting  at  the  depot  in  Britt,  might  be  a  challenge Smiley LOL   

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Had a small jd rider  (118) stolen from a locked shed in a yard with a locked gate, in an area town a while back.  Neighborhood felons most likely.

Similar to yours,  Didn't bid on it on craigs list ........ Not sure I wanted it back....   Police  never responded to the call.

Stopped mowing.  Waiting for the city to complain............... then we will have that conversation.

0 Kudos
thomasrobe2151765
Contributor

Damn, sorry to hear that, I had a similar mower back in the day, but unfortunately the oil reservoir leaked into the engine and completely flooded it. Shame too, it worked flawlessly and I got it cheap too. Had to find a replacement, but the selection was huge, I couldn’t really decide on one. I was thinking about trying and getting the same model, but at the same time I wanted to try out something new on the market. Ended up searching online for advice on what to get and I found this grass trimmer article that described everything in detail and helped me make my choice.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

BA.     This 2018 subject is in the top 5 on the business section of SF..............My $25 mower.   SF has problems

Question arises "when does the US farmer know when its over?"

A friend and I were just talking about feeder pigs bought in the 1980's when we were searching for a way to market our cheap loan rate corn.  In Iowa and Kansas we were both using the same rule of thumb to buy corn munchers.  $20 a head or 5 for a $100.   Below that was profitable..... above more risky.........

Question might be "when does the US farmer know when its over?"

For me and feeding livestock......... it was 1993 when I could buy 300 lb finished hogs for $20 a head.....

I bought a 50 head load for $1,000.  Butchered them and sold off 2/3 of the meat.  

buried the hog lot and changed careers.  Hog production was gone for the general public.  Corpratized.

Seems to me that when the lottery winners out on the coast start buying into grain production we will have producers who can afford to loose enough to drive family farming out of business.    The last of agriculture we once knew will be in trouble.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey SW, I`ve raised hogs all my life and this is my opinion but I maintain that hogs should be raised farrow to finish and don`t be a "inner and outer".  I`ve seen guys looking at the corn market and selling feeder pigs if they thought corn was going to be cheap...but everyone else is thinking the same.   Take care of the hogs and the hogs will take care of you.

Vertical integration has messed up the hog markets <5% of hogs sold on open market.  The integrators may lose on the production side, but more than make up for it on the processing side.  The independent hog farmer has to have a niche market and that might mean more labor and doing things the way grandpa did.  Sometimes change shows up in surprising ways.

A friend of mine got out of independently finishing feeder pigs and it`s been a tough 3 years barely selling the market hog for more than he was paying for the feeders

0 Kudos
thomasrobe2151765
Contributor

I need a walk behind string trimmers

0 Kudos