cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

My $25 Lawnmower

Well, my 48", 25hp, 12yr old John Deere finally gave up the ghost.  The Briggs motor locked up tighter than Hogan`s goat (spun bearing or bent crank, who knows?).   To go to Home Depot and get a comparable one is +$2500, with this farm economy I don`t have that kind of money laying around, though I`m sure they`d happily put it on a Home Depot credit card with no interest for 6 months.

I bought the "fancy" mower 12yrs ago so the kids would do the mowing and they did, but lately I have no kids around so I`ve been mowing, then the other day it locked up on me.  To buy a Briggs crate motor is high priced and then I`d have a 12yr mower with a hydrostat that`s in chute #2 ready to cost me money.  

So I went to Bomgaars, they had a one day sale 12% off everything in the store and I`ve been eyeing a $399 Honda self-propelled mower...but I was gone all that day and I don`t know as I could spare even $399.95 + tax either.  So, I went to Craig`s List and there it was a non-propelled 22" Toro with a 6.75hp Tecumseh motor...for 25 bucks!  I have 25 bucks!   Before I go further, yes I know Tecumseh motors have a reputation for being a real basterd to start, but ...25 bucks!   

I would guess I have 2 acres to mow, before we had kids I always push mowed it, but I was younger then  Smiley Happy   But I bought the $25 mower and it starts and works good...maybe it`s stolen?  Smiley Surprised   Anyway I figure break the lawn into sections to mow on the weekends, I just finished half the lawn yesterday and this morning it rained me out.

But I used to buy a $150 push mower at the local hardware store and completely trash it after a season or two and buy a new one the next year.   This 12yr old John Deere really held up well...but I had just put $50 in new blades on it  Smiley Mad

Here is my $25 Craig`s List find, not exactly, but it does look good and I was able to afford it....barely.  I hope to get through this summer and then go to Home Depot after I harvest $11 beans and $4 corn and go mower shopping  Smiley Happy   ...or keep this one another season.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: My $25 Lawnmower

Congratulations on your new acquisition!!  You are really putting a c-clamp on the check book.  

When we moved off the home farm to our new place two years ago, I went from a 52" zero -turn to a 22" self-propelled walk behind.  That lasted about 1 month and I was only doing about an acre.  I then bought a new rider for about $2,000 bucks.  

I do hope your prediction  on the corn and bean price comes true and I predict you will still be shopping for a new rider mower even if your prediction comes up short Smiley Happy

After 13 + inches of rain in June and only .39" in July and a trace in Aug. our lawns are turning brown. The lawn mowers are parked. Some corn fields are turning brown and the beans will need a drink very soon or yields will be compromised.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Oh no, Wind.  I`m only buying what I can afford...I might have to go to grazing goats on the lawn   Smiley Happy

There is a bit of corn just now tasseling. Mike Hoffman is predicting a below normal temp August, we need heat!   The saying around here is always "Need roasting ears by Hobo Days to make a corn crop"  Well next week is Hobo Days in Britt.

https://www.britthobodays.com/   

Maybe I`ll be a hobo?   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Seems  like  waiting  at  the  depot  in  Britt,  might  be  a  challenge Smiley LOL   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Had a small jd rider  (118) stolen from a locked shed in a yard with a locked gate, in an area town a while back.  Neighborhood felons most likely.

Similar to yours,  Didn't bid on it on craigs list ........ Not sure I wanted it back....   Police  never responded to the call.

Stopped mowing.  Waiting for the city to complain............... then we will have that conversation.

0 Kudos