cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

My First Rant On [A].com

First of before I start -- hope everybody is having a good morning here !

And now for my rant .

Maybe it was the thirteen thousand - three hundred and fourteen telemarketers calls the past few days that has pushed old Ken over the edge here But have you guy's ever noticed that we can't make a decision  any more in farming ? We have to have somebody to hold our hands in every purchase or in marketing or what ever , It's driving me nut's -- more so , anyway .

Ok here , have you ever  noticed all the snake oils being marketed today , we have stuff that makes the plant think it's under stress , then it will make the plant make more bu.s ? WTF here - Stress is a good thing ? Makes more BPA ? If you want to see  stress on crops , they should have stopped by the poor farm here in Indiana last summer  ! Heck it was under stress dam near from the get go and I can ensure you my friends it didn't raise my BPA's ! And how much does snake oil cost ?

Oh you have to have this and that seed treatment on your seed now ! Its the latest greatest to add BPA's ! You have fungicides and insecticides and inoculate  and on and on and on , yes some of it may help like the fungicide when planting beans early , But was at a class yesterday that showed --here in Indiana that there was NO increase in yield from using insecticides here , but then again it may help in parts of the country where bug pressures are higher early , No I not back stepping here -- this is why I go to classes - i don't just go by what the seed guys SAY I need or there company study in BFE !

Then there is planters - his has gone off the wall to me - go price a planter then it get's worse than ordering a car ! or truck ! You HAVE to have seed firmers , then you need to throw away the BRAND new seed unit's and put in a NEW  and BETTER after market unit ! So let me get this straight here - I just brought a NEW 149,000 dollar planter and the units are junk and I need to spend another -- what ever before I go to the field???? Sorry here but need to ROTFand LMAO here ! Yes years ago they may have been better to put these on instead of rebuilding the old unit's but most have caught up with the new and better . Case in point , I bought a new Kinze last year and ------- I hate to say this -- but I ran the unit's that come with it -- I know , I know -- I'm a POS farmer . BTW -- i would put them up against the new and better's any dy of the week , how can you out do a picket fence ?

Let's not forget the forty different closeing wheels and firmers -- chains - infurrow fert . One thing here about in row fert . What do's jst 3 to 5 gallons really do ? The last time I looked , the Radicle grows down ,  So there your fert. is laying ABOVE and not below where the Radicle is looking for food , then that opens up you HAVE to use the safer liquid -- safer - yes but all they did is lower the salt content ,but by saying it's  safer  then they can JACK the price up -- LOL

Let's not forget variable rate too ! That is a MUST , lol Yes it do's work in some area's -- I guess , but at the meeting --also -- they said that if you don't have at least a 50 BPA swing in your fields then it's iffy if it would pay but would be better if there was a 100 BPA difference in the same field -- reason how do  you write the script ? ground changes every year - CEC , Low spots , hight spot's , fert. levels . But you have to have it , lol

Then that leads that your tractor don't have enough hydraulic's , and have  to  BUY a NEW tractor - only another 200 grand . also a LOL

How about down force ?

Well I guess I have went on to long on this ,  I guess i have read to much Faust100f and Db-51 over the years or just getting older and getting tired of the farmer in my being farmed by the have to have crowd .

Everybody have a great day !

Ken

0 Kudos
40 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: My First Rant On [A].com

Who peed in your oatmeal this morning.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Ron -- lucky so far - not haveing to eat the horse feed yet !!

I guess mo point was -- alot of people make there living off of what we do for a living , Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

And they still claim there is very little inflation.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I agree with your comment for the most part.  I have been plagued by some similar issues, mainly tractor hydraulics.  I just invested 20k into my old Magnum, and I'm not ready to part ways yet.  Same goes with the planter, I don't replace parts and pieces until they are worn out.  Then, I use OEM.  If these aftermarket parts were as good as they say they are, they would try to sell them to equipment manufactures, not equipment purchasers.  As I replace components, I upgrade my precision equipment a little each year.  Precision is where I think some aftermarket stuff is just as good, but for my old equipment, some aftermarket stuff is all that is available.

Don't really buy into all the latest seed additives either, a few but not all of them.

It boils down to management.  No one knows my soil as good as I do.  I take the time to place what I feel is the best seed on a certain parcel of ground that is prepared to the best of my ability.  After planting, for the most part I let God take over.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Why do you think farmers have been given direct payments and other program support all these years when a row crop couldn't cashflow without them?  Grace and Moinsanto, and the rest of theri ilk, had to have some way to be paid. 

I have said for years that farmers were politically correct funnels for money, the vast majority of which passed through to multi-national companies.  A drop or two clung to teh cone here and there, so we could feed our families and buy a bit of equipment; but, the benefits of our businesses went mostly to others. 

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Well, now at least I know what I'm doing wrong.  I'm not spending nearly enough on new equipment and technology.

I pull a 198? planter, with a 198? tractor, pick it with a 1981 1440 combine, and haul it to town on a 1978 truck.   One advantage, I only need enough hydraulics on the tractor to raise the planter, and markers.   Driving the row units, is this nifty little gizmo, called a 'chain', that, while it requires actually getting off the tractor to change population, has proven much more trouble free, and easier to fix, than my neighbor's new planter with variable rate seeding.   (If you want to see someone who is frustrated, watch a guy try to drive a 16 row planter, that will plant only one rate, with no GPS guidance, and no markers).

Funny, but a non-GMO corn variety has been within 2-3 BPA of my top yield the last 3 years.  I'm wondering how much longer they will produce that corn, before they replace it with something that yields an extra 5 BPA, but costs $100 a bag more.

On the bright side, I've gotten some real bargains the last few years, on prefectly good older stuff, that people just don't seem to want anymore.   Being willing to put up with more inconvenience or elbow grease, in exchange for less $$ spent, has kept me able to keep farming my meager acerage, and still make more $$$ at it, than just renting it out, or having it custom done.

One thing I noticed, it doesn't matter how much you spent on your equipment, when we dump a load of grain at the elevator, we all get the same price.

elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Kind of reminds me of a story. This fellow
Wanted to be as efficant as possible with
His pu....so he put the exact amount of air in the tires, so he saved fuel, then washed it,
Then waxed, then new plugs, changed the
Oil and put in the supper supper oil, also
Put in all new filters...also put in a heater/magnet device on the Carb.
everything he did made him more efficient,
Saving more fuel.....he did everything that
everyone told him to buy and do.

But, the fellow was discouraged after all
Of his work and expense......

Now he had to stop every 15 miles and
drain the extra gas out of his tank !
0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Your post is remindful of something I saw back in the 70s or so where a person had taken the advice given to hog farmers and the claims in advertising in the hog magazines of the day (we got 3 of them, I beleive) and added up how much you could save on each pig if you simply applied those practices and purchased and used those products.

Didn't keep it and I doubt that it was archived anywhere, as I believe it was a letter to the editor of one of those publications.  Long and the short of it was that hogs were around $.20 # at teh time and his numbers showed that you could save more/pig than a ave. weight hog would bring in. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Kay, I would kudo that again if it would let me.------------------------- Often thought the same.