cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: My First Rant On [A].com

ECin,

Thats a very intelligent answer------------ and appreciated.

innoculant------------ we do not have a lot of bean history,  fairly decent irrig water, one percent organic matter(less in areas), a very dry climate(much of the growing season under 20% humidity).

So innoculant is important and shows badly when it is poorly done.  Three times seems a little unnecessary.

The one that seemed laughable was the three trips of fungicide on corn---------------- first one with the seed.

We gotta water for 60 days and get the corn shoulder high to keep the ground damp til noon.  

We do see benefit after tassel and include a fungicide when we go after southwestern corn boer.  But with the seed??

Any thanks for gettin me through an odd day.

Promotion to the bazaar.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

You should have seen it, when I first got it, and put in different concaves (I won't say new, because they weren't new)

I don't think 'shelling' would be the proper term, either, LOL.

Oh, and might be off, on that year of the combine.   I think it may be older than that.   I needed to take the serial number down, for a seal in the hydro (dang $39 seal that takes a day and a half to change, but anyway) the guy at the parts counter, said I had the lowest serial # of any 1440 they ordered parts for, that is still running.

If I can keep it going a while longer, it may actually gain in value, as it becomes 'antique iron'.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I would agree with that.
I would also be curious, how much money, various politicians made off of Monsanto?

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Reminds me of the day I stood at the NH dealer's parts counter with the serial number of our first baler. I was 30-something, and when he ran the number, realized the machine was built the year we were in first grade.

Still worked fine, and still would, if we pulled it out of the shed...just not as fast as the later ones. Sometimes, being able yo pay cash beats the heck out of being able to finish work a little bit early. A bale never got rained on because of its pace.
0 Kudos
Faust100F
Advisor

ECI - great rant!  You know I just wonder how we ever got all those acres planted with those old junky 7000 and 7100 JD planters. I have a 6 row no til 7000, a 12 row 7100, and an 18 row 7000, and a 13row bean planter JD 7000, and all the parts on those planters are the same, I also have an off breed 25ft Great Plains No til 15 inch drill which is much better than the toys now being made with Chinese parts by John Deere.   In the 70's we farmed 2,650 acres with on 12 row 7100. 

Now you are not going to fit in, if you do not have that new paint in the neighborhood, I mean . . . you just will not fit in at the ECI Country Club.  LMAO!  

You also know that you have to have that treated seed, I mean you get 2 bu. more more per acre, and you need to spray those spider mites and aphids or plant that corn with the killer genetics, or you will never be part of those "successful farmers" leaning on the counter at the Co-op every morning  drinking coffee and whining like puppy dogs.

I must say though, a few more rants like this and you may be eligible to join that group of little girls and crybabies.  I am sorry that Db help ruin your perception of what a farmer (cough, cough) I man grower should be.  Like I said my parts are all American made for my equipment and 90% come from my parts guy 7 miles from my farm, no waiting, immediate service and he has never let me down.  

Of course, you have to want to farm "lean", I mean use good vintage equipment, without a computer circuit board anywhere on them, and you know they are vintage when you can use SAE wrenches and sockets instead of the Metric crap.  

Plus, you have to be able to live without toys to play with when working, like yield monitors, mapping services, GPS and all the other toys (cough, cough) i mean "options", that make you a more effecient farmer and make sure those corn seeds are exactly 3.5 inches apart, because you really have yield losses when they may be 4.5 inches apart.  

Oh! Well this is your rant and as ususal you did a great job, I think maybe attending all those farm courses taught by those who never planted a seed or harvested a crop, or assumed the risk of signing a land mortgage or contract, may be what is holding you back.  

I mean we are in a mode of dumbing down people in this country, and it is those courses that make one tend to feel useless and helpless.  I mean . . . it really is worth having a John Deere Tech at your farm at $85 an hour who does not know Jack about WTF he is doing and getting paid from the time he leaves the shop.  

Of course, you know what John Wayne said, "life is tough, but it gets alot tougher when you are stupid", and I just am just amazed (cough, cough) that our ancestors were able to take care of their own farms without being farmed by others.   Great Rant!  Hell all this time I thought you were away at Corn College taking their spelling courses. LMAO!

Have a great day.    John 

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thank you for your reply sw ! That is why i don't like to talk about ground in other states , just because of different types of ground and conditions .

What do's surprize me is the three app.s of Fungicide on your corn , for the reason of your humidity at only      20 % ,  For the most part , here in the summer it can get very humid -- like 70 to 75 with dew points in the 60's  , this is the red flag for us , to really keep a eye on the corn .

I would say that Kay has us all beat on humidity and dew point's  ! I have been in the Carolina's in the summer and it can melt a person in second's -- lol  And them people down there talk funny - maybe from the heat ? Smiley Happy

Like I said - I am not bashing all the company's , for they all have good product's for production ag -- but it's up to us to know what to use , when to use and when to pull or not pull the trigger .

That's the fun part of farming for me , the production side , so much to learn --still for a OLD tiger  -- lol

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Hey John - where have you been ? I was just geting ready to make a phone call out to Fort Kiowa and have them send a scout over to the Rosebud Rez . i was afraid that you and OBG had gone there for the spring pole danceing  contest   and that one of them Lakota gals had took you hostage -- they could keep OBG -- LMAO

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I really hate to ask you this idalivered ---but roller ?  The only roller's around here are for the yard .

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Would you guys say this whole rant has been about being open minded? I like it. I have just got in with a good agronomist/sales guy that preaches the do what works for you thing. A couple of products I've asked about he has told me flat out they don't work around here. He said he spends more time disproving stuff people here on RFD tv than he does Promoting new products he knows work. On the machinery side I love the older more reliable stuff. My problem with depending on it makes it tuff to trust employees when I'm away from the farm. Plus dad is getting older and its hard for him to do a lot of the extra manuvering needed on the older machines. If i were the only peeson running my equipment i wouldnt need much more than a Deere 4020 and four row combine. At the factory we had a big issue trying to keep the equipment idiot proof to the level of new employees that keep getting worse ever year. I could really rant about some of the stuff I saw there.