cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

ND To IL Pipeline - Yes or No?

Energy Transfer Partners (ETP) proposes to build a 30" pipeline from Bakken in northwest North Dakota diagonally across eastern South Dakota, all of Iowa into Peoria in Illinois.

Here is the map.

http://www.energytransfer.com/documents/DAPL_States_Counties.pdf

Here is some discussion about the Iowa segment.

http://qctimes.com/news/local/government-and-politics/iowa-residents-have-chance-to-hear-about-oil-p...

The oil industry is using much of the rail capacity usually used for grain for moving oil.

The pipeline would go through some prime pipeline, but might lower basis in ND freeing up rail cars.

Some oppose any measure that would support fossile fuels.

Some would fight against any pipeline on their land.

There would be some jobs buiilding the line but not many after it is running.

Is this pipeline something you would support or oppose, or are you still studying it?  What is your reasoning?

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: ND To IL Pipeline - Yes or No?

Doesn't do much good to post a thread to an article when one needs to be a subscriber to actually read it.

We had a natural gas pipeline run through 2 different farms of ours with a few problems.  We might have been a little different scenario however, we weren't prime farm ground.  We were CRP acres and also pasture acres that were disturbed.  Only issues we had was when the project was completed and the fence rebuilding crew came along they did a terrible job.  We hunted them down before they were to far down the stretch and made them come back and redo their previous work.  After a 2 week tug of war the problems were resolved and all parties are happy.  We also get a very attractive annual easement payment as well.

If this project would eventually releive some pressure on the rail system I wouldn't know why anyone would oppose it, but there are always a few in every crowd.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

In theory, I'd support this pipeline.  I supported the idea of the Keystone pipeline as well.  There are very few cases I can think of where I would potentially be against the development of logistical infrastructure.  As a young'un, my generation stands to benefit the most from improved supply chain transportation, and energy is one of the major supplies that needs to be transported in many cases.  I could see short term farm profits increasing in that region by the equivalent of 10c per bushel between the lower energy costs and the ability to finally get some of those binned bushels moved to wherever they're headed. 

Something I'd been contemplating re: Keystone XL- Would it be possible to lay two pipelines parallel to each other, the one carrying oil southwards, while the other carrying water north?  If that could be done with only, say, an extra $100 million in costs, what would stop us from pumping water north from the Gulf, having it at least partially desalinated, and using it to recharge our aquifers and/or use it for, say, city water?   I mean, obviously the initial cost, but if it could keep people farming, I'm sure it wouldn't take too many years for it to pay off in increased yields from being able to irrigate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Biggest problem could ultimatley  be not having a perpetually sustainaable product to pump through it, backed by sound financing for more than a relatively intermediate period of time.

http://www.desmogblog.com/2014/11/25/why-mississippi-governor-phil-bryant-wants-high-oil-prices-frac...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes

If they build they will ship something in it.  Hard to beat the efficiency of a pipe line once it is up and operational.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Yes

Water will be the contents going  S - SW ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Yes

Yes - will need the 75 perminit jobs it will create ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

This whole energy and sustainable energy thing is intriguing to me.

Most alternatives to fossil fuel only pencil out at pretty high oil prices. All of the fracking and oil sands development now is driving oil prices down significantly, and making the US less dependent upon other regions.

This, of course, benefits Joe the Plumber, because heating a home and commuting to work are more affordable now. That flows over into more disposable income to fuel this consumer economy. That floats more boats, generates more jobs, etc.

Pipelines benefit the oil companies, who are really hamstrung for new refinery sites. NIMBY is a powerful force. Being energy independent is a compelling need.

If I thought a domestic pipeline would keep us out of the Middle East in a military way, I would vote for it in a heartbeat...then again, the Halliburtons et al would only develop a new rationale for continual warfare.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

There have been 4 corn refinery operations built in Nebraska just in the last 10 years in N E Nebraska --- It's amazing the Canadians doen't refine this commodity and sell the finished product to capture the added value instead of exporting a raw product ---Also previous mentions of idled refining operations thru the middle of the US that are grandfathered could be in operation which is never part of the dicussion ?       

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Rod: we have three 36" 1200 psi natural gas lines through our property. They haven't moved anything for three years now. These are the "main" lines going from the gulf to east coast.
0 Kudos