cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: NTSB wants to ban cell phones for drivers

On star in our GM suburban will let the word out if the airbags go off although for a medical emergency they can hit the button to transmit---summing it up some  calls are important with the majority being some rambilings about personal goings on---the privalage will be abbused to the point of regulation to collect more $$$---some trucker will pay more than Corzine will pay at MFglobe---

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

@GoredHusker wrote:

According to the experts, talking on a cell phone while driving is as dangerous if not more dangerous than driving under the influence.  A study conducted by the University of Utah tested four driving groups:  no distractions, talking on a hand held cell phone, talking on a hands free cell phone, and intoxicated to the .08 blood alcohol content level.  The study had each group follow a simulated pace car that braked intermittently.  Only two groups had participants that wrecked into the pace car.  They were from the hand held cell phone group and the hands free cell phone group.  None of the drunk drivers wrecked into the pace car.

We all know that drunk driving is banned or against the law.  Why shouldn't something as dangerous if not more dangerous than drunk driving be against the law as well?

Some folks can not walk and chew gum at the same time.  Shall we make laws for the lowest common denominator???  I listen to podcasts in one ear, and have an earpiece in the other ear for my scanner.  I also answer phone calls with the Bluetooth, while on the move.  I also can text without looking at the phone.  The center key has a bump on it.  My phone also has pre-written quick texts that I can send by pushing only 4 keys, which I can do while at a stop light.... takes maybe 6 seconds. I only mess with the phone when there are no other cars anywhere near me, which is most of the time, when I drive from one county to another.

I can multi-task very well, my driving record is perfect and I hold a commercial driver's license.

They already have laws in place to make it unlawful for reckless driving.  Folks should know if they are not able to handle whatever tasks that must be performed in operating motor equipment.  Some folks should not be on the roads at night, some get confused if the weather is less than perfect.   Should we make it illegal to drive during a rain storm or snow?

What about farmers on the cell phone while driving a tractor?  Ban that too?

Pretty soon, they will outlaw using a cell phone while out walking in the pasture, because you just might step right into a big steaming pile of cow poo.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I will throw this thought into the discussion:  This all boils down to people not accepting that the privilege of driving a motorized vehicle on public highways and roads is just that, not a "right."  We can drive all we want, any way we want, on our own farm paths, but when the rubber hits the road, we have to abide by some rules. 

I juess I am reminded of this a bit mroe than usual lately...daughter has one 14-year-old riding student who has been flunking the computer leaner's permit test.  Mike and I had banned this particular one from operating the quad or golf carts on this place a year or more ago, since she igmored my instructions to slow down, and he saw her a couple of days later burning up a path.  When he realized I had already cautioned her, she lost her privilege. 

This is a kid who has always gotten by on being cute, and when that failed, throwing nasty fits.  Apparently, although her parents and grandparents haven't got the guts to make her toe the line and abide by some rules, the DMV is not impressed with her.  No matter how much she thinks she "deserves" a permit, the state does not. 

When a person doesn't follow the rules, I think it is largely because of some sense of entitlement to be an exception to them....  If we required more competence and ongoing training and physical exams to continue to drive a car, I would agree with the pilot comparison. 

The truth is, a lot of people drive who probably shouldn't.  Some of them are incapacitated by physical conditions or changes.  Others have a mental orientation to the notion that they are the most important person on the road, so everyone else can get out ot their way, in both lanes. 

I don't know anyone so important that I want to take a chance on my life and my family's safety, so they can chat about mindless crap.  If they are, then they must be able to afford a driver to haul them around.

Where I think this is all heading is revocation of licenses and/or insurance cancellations for tickets based upon this behavior.  Drunk drivers have to pay through the nose to keep coverage, if they have coverage.  Vehicles have to have at least liability coverage in our state to be on the road at all. 

End game is keeping peopel from behind hte wheel, inless they are willing to behave...I think it will come, I just have a problem seeing how it can be enforced. 

Seat belts started as voluntary usage, moved to mandatory for child restraints, then the driver, then front seat passenger, now is everyone.  somewhere in there, it moved to a "primary infraction"...that is, one that a trooper could pull you for, even if you weren't breaking any other road rules. 

I sort of see this as a parallel for cell use.  First, citing the driver as a charge that can be added if you are pulled for weaving across the centerline, running a light. etc. 

Eventually, as a primary offense...you can be pulled for just being seen talking on a phone, or looking down to text.  Laws have a way of evolving this way. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Well there you have it.  Let's just remove all laws with regards to driving while intoxicated.  I mean really, it's only the lowest common denominator that can't handle a vehicle while being intoxicated. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My daughters friend just got a new jeep a new job and today was going to her new job.  At this moment she is in a hospital in Kearney.  I was working near the hwy today and heard sirens so I stopped to wait and see what was coming.  It was a state trooper and he appeared to be going over 100 MPH.  I listened as he went on down the hwy and heard him hit the rumble strips along the shoulder few seconds later about 2 miles on down the road.  Then a bit later an over sized load truck passed with a heavy iron square tube sticking out into the oncoming lane with a red flag on it.  This was to move traffic over because his load crossed into the oncoming lane.  I had to imagine the state trooper had to get over as he topped the hill and hit the rumble strips.  I'm thinking this trooper was going so dang fast how the heck did he get over with out swerving out of control.

So about a half hour later an ambulance from the town just east passed at a high rate of speed.  The trooper passed about 2 hours later.

My daughter told me as dinner tonight that her good friend was run off the road by a simi and that the simi just kept going not even knowing that he ran her off the road.  The simi was in the middle of the hwy.  She also said there was a witness that saw the simi in the middle of the hwy. 

My daughter friends heart stopped on the way to Kearney after being taken to the local hospital and they had to resuscitate her but, I guess she is going to be OK.

I wonder if the simi driver was a man with a perfect driving record that never checks his phone in traffic.  It appeared that he didn't even know he ran my daughters friend off the road because he just kept going and never slowed down.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

My sis in law works in the ER in Kearney, and she had the afternoon evening shift. If it happened after 2 PM she would have been working. This would be a good thing as she is tied for the highest rated trauma nurse down there. She's in as good of hands as you could ask for, and were wishing her well, and our condolences to the trooper and family. I know a few troopers, and this hits them all hard.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The trooper didn't get run off the road... he made it to the scene of the accident where my daughters friend was run off the road by a trucker.

Sorry I guess my story was to long and rambling to follow... 

It was in the morning... they took her to McCook first then onto Kearney.

Some of these wide load permits are going to have to think twice about emergency response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Incorrect

@GoredHusker wrote:

Well there you have it.  Let's just remove all laws with regards to driving while intoxicated.  I mean really, it's only the lowest common denominator that can't handle a vehicle while being intoxicated. 

Being intoxicated is a physical state of being.  NO one should be behind the wheel when they are chemically altered in any shape or form.

For an experienced motor vehicle operator with above average intelligence, driving and listening to the radio, or talking to someone with a Bluetooth device is about as challenging as picking your nose.

If they do choose to do something stupid like banning all cell phone use, it will cost the jobs of just about all Representatives and Senators who do vote for it.   It will also make folks come up with slicker ways of hiding their Bluetooth device.

I would be in favor of having different grades of driver's license in which you would have to pass a performance test to be allowed to do more things while driving.

Heck, I have seen folks eating in their cars, holding a cup of hot coffee in the hand that is on the wheel while stuffing an Egg McMuffin® in their face in rush hour traffic.  Should we ban drive through windows?   I bet the corporate giants of the food business would just love that.  Folks would just go in and grab their food anyway and drive and eat.

So.... the cops would be spending all their precious time chasing after drivers for just talking on a phone, instead of looking for the truly impaired drivers on the road.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Sorry for the mix up, I assumed the worst when you said the trooper hit the rumble bars, and later was 'gone'. It must have been fairly bad to skip Lex for Kearney. Pure speculation here but Dr B in Kearney is as good or better than anyone in the state for heat injuries,concussions, and such.
0 Kudos