cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: Nebraska Realestate Taxes

Probably some of the best educations occurred in a one room school house.    A lesson that current school systems should take note  of, but they won't.  What will happen is "state aid" will be cut to local schools, and your tax levy will simply be raised to make up the difference, cutting expenses will be the last resort.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: Seems to me like there should be NO

Wi. here. I used to pay nearly $21 an acre prop. tax which was triple what neiboring states were paying. So Wi. came up with a formula( which for the life of me I can't remember or explain) to go easy on farmland. This year's tax is $3.80/A on farmland but they definately make up the difference on the improvements. A few years ago, the way the formula works, the tax would;ve been a negative number(yep, the co. wouldve paid me) but they "corrected" that pretty quick.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Nebraska Realestate Taxes

Yes 800 large for ad building in a school system that averages 115 in a graduating class.  1 board member goes to my church and I see socially from time to time.  We have some frank discussions.  Now we're building a new elementary school and closing 2 buildings built in the 50s, 1 will be torn down, the other sold for some purpose they aren't sure of yet.  All they have to do is threaten to cut sports and binggg, a new levy passes!

0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm paying $14.96 an acre for a farm in Lucas county Ohio, which includes the city of Toledo.  It even has 4 acres of woods on it.  It includes a bus tax, zoo tax, and recreation (softball diamonds) tax.

0 Kudos
Advisor

One of our county supervisors said that they would love to cut property taxes. Tell them what services that we are willing to do without and they will take care of it. iowa has a big problem (and i suppose nebraska, too) with gasoline taxes. roads and improvements are funnded by a "per gallon" tax. we all keep getting more effecient cars and trucks and maybe driving less and our population keeps dropping and the total keeps dropping. they've painted themselves into a corner unless they can raise taxes in a different manor. I still say legalize marijuana, tax and regulate the hell out of it. I'd love to add a lucrative 3rd crop that could be harvested during my slower months. We could take a big burden off the sheriff, county attorney, court system, and jail and maybe cut our tax burden some. maybe locally -legally grown pot would cut down on the violence in mexico.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Your per acre cost means nothing. tell me you cost per $1000 valuation.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

You know what burns me there Ida is that as we close schools around here and consolidate "to make us more competitive" we never save money or cut taxes.

Wesley closed two years ago and My taxes are higher now than then,

You are going to lose a whole school ditrict and how much will your taxes be reduced? 

I think CWL is next as a whole I just don't see how they can keep the doors open. with the new jobs from the chiken farm coming on many thought the hispanics would enroll their kids in Corwith but it turns out the stayed in Britt. Goodell. and Clarion so no real growth in that school system now.  Instead we are going to buss kids all over hells half acre and not one admin job gets cut!  I think our big problem is that we have to much administaration with to few teachers.  I wonder why we can't have satelite schools with webinars and a teachers aid in the room to run the oversight at a lower cost. and only have 1 high paid instructor?  I think since al gore invented the internet we have done a poor job of integrating it into the teahing format of schools. 

ANd then if the kids want to play sports parents should pony up for the cost (and I mean all the costs) and have district school sports that can have equallity of size so we don't have to drive all over the state to play some one in our conference. 

Never happen tho.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Who could i contact about that formula???????  course the unicamerial down here in nebraska would never fly for that.  But it be interesting to see

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Interesting thoughts

I appreciate everyone's input. Just a couple of things I'd like to point out:  the article on class ones was interesting, I was on a school board for our class one until the state finally had the guts to pass the legislation in 2006 to close them.  Some of my neighbors where glad cause they thought their taxes would go down,  yeah it didn't.  I don't think consolidation saves money for anyone.  I went all k-8 in a one room school.  As did most of my neighbors around me.

My taxes have increased over the last few years due to the fact land has increased in value.   value around me where first raised by 1031 land exchange's, then by commodity prices.   But I'm in my early 30's if nebraska keeps on pace with this style of valuation on ag lands, where is the value going to be in the next 30 years, in the past 30 taxes they have more then doubled. 

And it isn't only the ag land, people in town are complaining as well.  And yet nebraska is always out of money.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Interesting thoughts

Remember anyone over 65 gets a homestead exemption on real estate on one's own residence in Nebraska up to $65k and this has to be made up also ?

0 Kudos