cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Need help with a warranty question!

Okay, gang, your expertise is required here.  We are saving counsel for another day...like tomorrow, if this isn't resolved satisfactorily today.

Daugter and SIL have a F-450 Super Duty fancy truck to pull horse trailer.  It broke down in April of 2012, and cost roughly $1400 to fix the EGR valve. Was picked up from the nearest dealer, which had done the work, on April 25th. 

Fast forward to this April 19th, when it broke down with daughter and toddler son, on their way to a friend's to stay over for a pair of horseshows.  Started overheating and so she did what her husband told her to do by phone, let it cool and add water.  It traveled the rest of the way. 

Coming home on the 20th, the truck lost power, and white smoke blew out of the tailpipe.  They had to have friends come and haul their trailer with five horses on board and the humans in the vehicle to a friends house, where SIL retrieved them with our Dodge dually RAM 3500 later that day.  He had to take our flatbed back a couple of days later, load the Ford with a tractor, because it wouldn't even start, and hauled it home.  It was transported to a different dealership - at a hauling cost of $800 - a few days later. 

Repairs this time, due to the EGR valve failing again and dumping water into the cylinders, were $5834.  These were charged to a credit card for payment.  The kids then realized that the second breakdown was within the standard one-year warranty on Ford service.  EGR valve failure was the problem both times.  They called the dealer for a refund.  Ford has balked. 

Meanwhile, the truck was returned, ran maybe 200 miles, and then failed again.  This time, the dealer says it is a cracked head, probably missed last year.  Well, his professionals missed it, too, then, this year.

Ford has said prove the truck was broken down before April 25th of this year, which was the one-year warranty deadline. 

Fortunately for us, the spectacle of a Dodge 3500 hauling that big 450 was a laughingstock in the neighborhood, and daughter even posted a photo on her Facebook page on the 24th. When she said they had to have proof it was broken down before the 25th, I captured the mobile upload, with time stamps showing it in our backyard, on the trailer behind the Dodge, and numerous comments. 

Now that we have proved the breakdown was before the 25th of this year, Ford says it had to be in their dealer's shop ( I know, I said WTF?, too) before the year expired.  In other words, they keep moving the goalposts.  Meanwhile, they have made $1500 worth of payments on a truck they cannot use. 

Daughter told dealer today that she will pay her lawyer before she pays Ford another cent.  I agree.  Now, he wants to be out of the middle of it.  I just wondered if anyone here has evr had to enforce a service warranty, and what the dealines turned out to be. 

BTW, here's the photo, for you Dodge fans:Carra's truck breakdown for Bill

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Advisor

Re: Need help with a warranty question!

get in touch with ford in mich. and complain-complain-complain get a lemon-law lawyer and good luck. sounds like a cracked head or head gasket to me (White smoke) but letters to BBB, attorney general of your state and ford in mich. may get the ball rolling. 

a buddy of mine had a 450 he bought used blow up and ford in mich. took care of it cause the previous owner bought extended coverage warranty. ford's egr system dumps all that hot gas into one cylinder and burns it up. piss-poor design

0 Kudos
Advisor

**bleep** em. Lawyer up. Shouldn't fix the same thing 3 times: nobodies that dumb
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Based on what I've had to deal with Ford dealerships. Did you call the extended plan's towing hotline? I know it's not much, but at least then they cannot say it was after the date. Also make certain you have all the paperwork dealing with the Ford guarantee and service work associated with the engine. They'll try to wiggle every which way to get out of paying, especially since they already have your money. I've heard several times that something wasn't covered but when I show them the paperwork, that at least gets them checking for correct part number. Definitely get a lawyer, at least so your daughter's credit won't get ruined if she doesn't pay another payment on that lemon.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

In Line Cummins 6 cyl. is very hard to beat as your Dodge is proving --- send the picture to Ford and keep rattling their ear as the shop might have sent it in for warranty and didn't do the paper work on your end --- Had an issue a few years back with a Kenworth truck and got the run around from dealer in Omaha which got resolved when I contacted a lady in warranty department in Seattle which made the dealer a little upset although the item was covered and all ended well --- EGR valves have been a menace for diesel engines as it was a  " cheap " short cut for the new age  R & D departments for the manufacturer post 2003 year --- dually pickups are way over rated in my opinion with a lot of glossy advertisements  ---

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Mike's Ram has been hard to best...has. Hauled that sorryass Ford home more than once. We used to be dedicated Ford fans...my f-150 is going strong after 11 years. The diesels are trash now. When we were looking for the dually, we tlked to a friend ho does truck pulls...he said the pulls were almost exclusively Dodge trucks, with an occasional Chevy...NEVER a Ford. That helped us decide on make.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Have had every brand of the  - Chevy suburban  - Ford and Dodge pickups and they have all had a couple of issues although the diesels after 2004 have the egr emissions delema and now they have added this fluid deal --- Resurch and Development at it's finest --- 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Once they get the issue resolved they better get rid of the truck. Pulling that kind of weight will be a continuing problem unless they spend another 5 grand to reroute the egr coolers and put a head bolt stud kit in and DELTETE THE EGR VALVE etc all aftermarket stuff. Ford ruined a good engine by putting all that junk on it. Doge cummins are good but the trans is the weak point. I would go with a late model chevy duramax with the six speed allison. The only other option if they really like the ford is to put an aftermarket cummins motor kit in it. Them are sweet.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I know a guy who turned wrenches at a Dodge dealership, and he told me the newer Dodge commercial trucks can be had with an Aisin auto tranny (hope I spelled that right) which he says is the equal of the Allison.   Also, the computer on the commercial trucks is calibrated to give better fuel efficiency (although at the cost of just a little peak HP)

0 Kudos