cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Need some suggestions, please!

Mike is having extreme frustration with his eyeglasses lately, as he does hog building walkthroughs. He wears bifocals, and needs distance correction to observe the conditions, as well as near correction to complete the room record card, read thermostats, etc. his prescription is current, and was filled with fog- limiting lenses, which he cleans with the anti-fog spray.

To protect his sinuses, which stay a mess at best, he wears a typical dust/particulate mask every day. This would be the kind you see people wearing to mow the grass.

His problem is that he fogs up and even gets droplets on his glasses in the buildings. We have adequate ventilation, but when he pulls down his mask, the fig starts to form.

I have suggested that his lenses are cooler than room temp, to take them off and stick them in a pocket between buildings, put them on once inside, and he should not get condensation. I guess it is room condensation if the moisture is on the outside, his breath condensing if it is on the inside of the lenses? Hmmmm...need to pin that answer down.

Meanwhile, I have suggested that he might benefit from a respirator with a better seal around his nose ( no hope around his mouth, due to facial hair there), but I am not familiar with this form of PPE. Can anyone guide me as to a reasonably easy to use respirator with good seal under the eye area?

TIA....
0 Kudos
9 Replies
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Need some suggestions, please!

I'm not much help but corrective eye surgery may be a solution

. A lazor job or perhaps corrective lens implants.

I've had the implants when they did the catterac (sp) surgery. Now 20/20 in one Eye and the other near perfect. Use cheap readers for fine print but most of the time I am without glasses.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I suggested contacts...surgery is sort of overkill yet, he has no cataracts.  This is a guy who cannot put in his own eye drops. He will have to be too blind to ride his bike or find his beer, to submit to eye surgery.   Thanks for the idea, though. 

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Sometimes jobs at the factory required dust masks and I often had the same problem, fogging up my safety glasses. I would pull my safety glasses farther down my nose so the moisture could kind of pass by and not cause such a problem. Kind of defeats the purpose of safety glasses though.
0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Two or three years ago, I was working in a bin that had some moldy corn in it.  The owner of the corn gave me one of these respirators to wear:

http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Works-817663-Multi-Purpose/dp/B00009363G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=138...

Anyway, they seal very, very well around my face (I am clean shaven, though) and don't let my breath leak out around my nose to fog my glasses.   I wear glasses, too, and have the fogging problems as you describe.   I found a 'standard' dust mask leaked enough moisture from my breath to fog my glasses badly.   My glasses still fog some, when I come in from outside, but my breath no longer causes it, it is just the condensation from the lenses being cold (plastic lenses help, as they warm up quicker than glass).

Anyway, I was so impressed, I got myself one of these, and like them.   You can feel the weight of them on your face, but it isn't burdeonsome because it has a comfortable harness that does a good job spreading the weight around.  Your breath vents out straight forward, and it sealed well enough, I never even smelled the corn mold until I took the mask off, and smelled it on my clothes.

If you are thinking about these, check out all the filter options.   They have filters for everything from dust, to pollen, to even certain toxic fumes.

I linked to Amazon, but our local Home Depot also has them on the shelf.

A friend of mine, who worked in livestock confinement buildings, would wear no-fog ski goggles designed to go over eyeglasses, with I think decent results.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Kay -- I like your idea on the contacts -- I have wore them since i was in my early 20's- everybody sad  wouldhate them - That Ken couldn't put them in - you name it - lol 

I wear the daily kind - put them in the morning then in the trash at night - they run about  buck a day - but worth twice that -

My eye doctor told me once that there a 5 reasons - he would not put a person in contacts and I have all 5 - lol

They cant believe that the dust I'm in - wind - rain - hail - floods - tornado's - snowstorms - hurrican's - typhons - earthquakes - and wear them for 16 hours aday Smiley Happy

BTW I have to carry a pair of dollar store specials to read up close - but thats far better than wearing them Dang glasses

Tell Mr. Kay/NC to man up and quit being a girly boy and go to the eye Doctor ad get him in some new eyes ( contacts )

Ken

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Ken, I appreciate the input. His real issue is that he is still adjusting to having to use bifocals...before, he only needed reading glasses for writing down the room card info, small fixes, etc. Now, he has to have the distance correction for seeing across the pens.

I have sat him down and found a cool- exhalation valve 3M particulate mask on amazon, but he is saying that he is going to carry a microfiber cloth in his bib pocket, and just wipe them off while he works. At the price of these lenses, you definitely do NOT want to scratch them.

Like you, I have very bad potential for contacts myself. My sweet eye doctor tried the latest and greatest ones on me in the office a couple of years ago. I have a bad retina in one eye, astigmatism in the good eye, and need bifocals, too. I wear these extremely expensive lenses that weigh nothing, in titanium alloy frames, so they are pretty close to invisible.

After letting the wrong optician help him when he went in on his own, I took him back and got my optician to fit Mike and get him into quality correction. He said he couldn't believe the difference, between the two women helping him, working for the same optometrist. It can really make a huge difference.

He does walkthroughs on the farm every weekend, so we will see how a simple solution like a rag will work (or not) by Sunday afternoon. I have put the exhalation valve mask on my amazon wish list, so if he gripes one tiny bit, all I have to do is touch this screen a couple of times, to exercise that option. I didn't know this type of mask existed, until we started this problem-solving push.
0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Maybe try this???

I was in the bin all morning, with just a disposable face mask (I am using them up during the fall moving corn where there is less dust, and will use my mask this summer, when the dust is worse).  - sorry, ADD kicking in, LOL.

Anyway, I made a discovery this morning.   It was 34 degrees out, when I got up, and I was walking in and out of a warm bin, while pushing a sweep auger, shovel, and broom, and my glasses kept fogging over.   I got to experimenting, and I found that if I wore the mask immediately below my nose, and would breathe through my mouth, my glasses wouldn't fog.   The mask I had on, had the thin metal nose piece on it, which was easy to straighten out to make the mask seal on my upper lip, right below my nose.   A little tinkering with the elastic straps, and I was good to go.   I could breathe clean air, and my glasses didn't fog over.

It only took a minute or two to get used to breathing that way (It also worked to inhale through my mouth, exhale with nose).

If the mask you have right now have that little metal piece so he can re-form the top, it might be worth a try.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Maybe try this???

Thanks, J! I will try to explain this to the Boss.

Right now, we are trying to figure out what gremlin killed our telephones during an incomng fax this mornng. We did the full troubleshooting steps, and got to where we could call out from the house and office, and the office could receive calls, but house could not receive.

Only thing we can find funky looking is a burn mark on the house box...office is on a separate one. Yet, the fax machine and computer were found on a flipped breaker, which is a separate service connection to the grid than the house. Restarting that cmputer system, got shutdown to protec my computer message screen. Freaky!
0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

Have you looked at the contraptions that filter air and blow it into your face so he wouldn't have to wear a mask?  Value his health.   I'm not even going to ask can you imagaine how the pigs feel to have to breathe that air 24/7 that requires a mask?

0 Kudos