cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Next Secretary of Agriculture?

Clinton's team has put together a short list of 5 potentials for SecAg.

Karen Ross, California's agriculture secretary;

Blanche Lincoln, a former Arkansas senator;

Kathleen Merrigan, a former USDA deputy secretary;

John Hickenlooper, Colorado's governor; and

Steve Beshear, Kentucky's former governor.

Clinton says she'll appoint half women to cabinet seats.  It looks like a good bet that one could be SecAg.  Ross has some very strong credentials.  

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Next Secretary of Agriculture?

Secretary of Agriculture?  Smiley Very Happy   That will be the least of our concerns post-November 8th.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

A half women is probably equal to a whole man! Just being a little wise acre Jim!Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

What things will the next SecAg deal with?

The continued nibbling away by EPA, COE and interest groups at pesticides.

Water rights in the plains and west.

Endangered species.

Farm Bill

TPP and other trade issues

GMO

Water quality in the Chesapeake Bay and Midwest

Climate change as it affects agriculture

Research as opposed to only big companies doing research

Labelling

Packers & Stockyards Act

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Alot of this junk that was put and attempted to put down our throats was from appointed twerp bureaucrats at the EPA, they all have "little man" complex.  Like that Jackson gal that tried to regulate combine dust...and then said she wasn`t...and then she said she was gonna.  They get appointed and sit at their desks and dream up stuff.  But if the former Secretary of State becomes president, it will be a "3rd term" of the present administration.  So, expect the boundaries to continue to be tested.

But isn`t the Secretary of Ag ceremonial like the king of Norway?  They make speeches and go on trade junkets and a mouth piece for the administration.  I heard the present Sec of Ag speaking about "man made climate change" tap dancing around in a room full of Farm Bureau members...he could sell ice to the Eskimos. 

But the way to stop what has been happening, is on November 8th, vote in a 180º opposite direction than the people of Johnson county`s usual ballots   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The next secretary of Agriculture will know less about agriculture than any predicessor.  Very likely...

The next secretary of Agriculture will more likely be a nutritionist for the worlds refugees...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

SW  -  ExcellEnt   &    the  explaining  of  how  we  feed  evryone  by 2050 or  2075  -   pick a number  - I  guess ---

And the unfed line up with buckets & sacks for their allotment of shell corn  &  soy  & of  course most importantly ammunition---

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

What pessimism.  Why continue to farm at all?

The government is pretty big.  The SecAg has lots of work to do.  S/he is not a policy maker.  S/he executes laws passed by Congress and guidance provided by the president.  Would you have it any other way?  Do you want it like Iowa where the Secretary of Agriculture is elected and could very well be of the opposite party form the executive?  What sense does that make?

It seems to me you all misunderstand the role of the Secreteary of Agriculture.  That is not to say that the person in the job doesn't matter - there is considerable flexibiltiy in how polciies are carried out.  For example, the operation of your local county FSA and NRCS.  It can have a significate affect on the efficiency with which you interact with them.

So, of course vote for the presidential candidate of your choice.  Or vote against one, if that makes you feel better.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jim   -  Am   I   an  optimist  and- or  cynical  ?  Maybe  I  shouldn't  be   ''hedging '' my  production  -    Always go  LONG  ?  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If the Sec. of Ag was of the opposite party It might be possible that the laws passed would be carried out as the congress intended them.----AS WRITTEN.   Not as redirected by the president.  

How hard can food stamps be??

0 Kudos