cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

NextEra wind project

NexEra has just bought out another wind companies project. Sounds like site permits will maybe issued within the next month. The project is going to start out with 88 turbines that will encompass 5 townships. My question is has anyone had any experience with NextEra ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: NextEra wind project

where are you located

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I am located 100 miles north of Detroit, Huron county Michigan.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

nextera was formerly known as florida power and light out of florida I believe. nextea currently has a bunch of leases in the coteau hills of SD.  You would not like my opinion much of these outside companys coming into your state and doing development

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would probably agree with you. I can see our pristine farmland turning into an industrial waste land. We currently have a couple of other wind farms in the county so already know what a mess it will be, with projections of between 700-900 turbines. Farmers did sign contracts and now have to live with it as I understand they are impossible to get out of. Not looking forward to flashing red lights at night, blade flicker and noise.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I here ya.  Money isn't everything. Community division is not pleasant. 

I am from Ontario Canada and Nextera and other companies have many proposed projects here. The much protested Ontario Green Energy Act says 550 meters setback is good enough, yet parts of Quebec just passed a 2000 meter setback. Many of our municipalities have either said they don't want them or have serious concerns but the Ontario Green Energy Act trumps their bylaws.

Who really wants to build or buy an existing residence near an Industrial wind factory? Wind requires gas as backup anyways so why not build a gas plant or two and run them continuous far cheaper than the 13.5 cents/kilowatt the wind companies get paid? Then there are the miles of extra tall poles and costly transformer connection upgrades and costs in getting all the turbines hooked to the main grid. Funny thing is they are currently planning on shutting the intermittent turbines down in the middle of the night ( yet still paying as if they were turning) which will reduce their turn rate from 30% to about 15%.

What a mess eh! There are far better alternatives in my opinion.

If you do a youtube search you might find this presentation : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ijasiqa2Jg 

Also Google search found these: http://aeinews.org/

http://ontario-wind-resistance.org/

0 Kudos
Contributor

Allan Ont. , I have been following the situation in Ontario so I know what you are experiencing. We have all those same issues here, officials will not recognize wind turbine syndrome as a law suit has been settled but under a gag order ,wish there was a simple blood test for it. Lots of conflict of interest happening as officials on the county and township levels have signed wind contracts, it has not only divided the community but also families....so sad. So many people think these companies are there best friends as they put on chicken and meatball dinners that are undercover pep rally.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

"wind turbine Syndrome"-------------- that's a good one.

There's always a condition for all things we don't want.

There are no moral limits to what a Corp will do to sell its project------------ and ------------ there are no moral limits to what a "good" citizen will do to stop a Corp(or a neighbor for that matter) from doing something they don't agree with ------------------- or recieve revenue from.

Same group did some in Kansas ---------------- Keeping a couple of communities on the map, but I am sure there are some who don't like it.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We went through the same thing wiht mining for heavy mineral sands in the commmunity I grew up in, and it is a VERY mixed blessing.  The worst elements of a lot of people's character surface in the tussle. 

I predict that a number of lessors will rue the day they laid down the ink encumbering their land.  I wish them all well, and good counsel. 

0 Kudos