cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Off Farm Income Podcast

There used to be a saying "If you can`t make it in business, then start farming"  I had a substitute ag teacher once that said "If you can`t make it farming, maybe you should start a business"  that was back in the early 1980`s.  Well, let me update it a little "if your farm isn`t paying, supplement it with one or more sources of off farm income".  I can`t get my Wife anymore jobs, so I guess now it`s my turn  Smiley Happy

The state of agriculture currently, the problem is we know agriculture so that is probably the business we would seek.  Well, when farming is tough, the entire agriculture community sector is also slow.  My off farm income is working for a ag company and things are slow there, to the point that the owner is selling off assets to keep things going.  As an employee all one can do is make yourself indispensable and help him save his company.

IMO ag business is tough now, so to start a ag based business would have little room for those years of cushion to ignite the cashflow and profit.  Getting a steady paycheck from an employer in this environment keeps the light bill paid and groceries on the table.

On farm income has declined each year since 2013 to currently a little over $20,000 and you know how "averages" are.  Smiley Happy   It could be greater for some and negative for others.  

Here is the podcast for some great ideas.

http://www.offincome.com/

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Off Farm Income Podcast

In small town farm country that good off farm job can be nonexistent unless it is in a truck.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes, we have a service based economy, so to make coin in that environment, you need to go were the people are.  My future Daughter-in-Law had a month before her job started in a big population center and she made an unbelievable amount of money just walking people`s dogs.   Out here in the sticks, you`d have to really hustle to make the equivalent income.   Seems that the real money is concentrated on both coasts.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Specifically, education centers or government administrative centers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

A couple weeks ago, I was at local Pilot truckstop for lunch and parked near a guy who was sitting under a shade tree with a dog.  Got a couple of dog treats out and walked over to visit with him a minute.  The guy was from Boston, and driving to Phoenix, with a few stops in between.  The dog wasn't his.  His "job" is driving dogs (and other pets, but almost always dogs) whose owners either can't take the dogs with them on flights or don't want them put in cargo.  There's a "job" I wouldn't have thought of, though the guy basically lives in his van.  Aside from the "job" talk, of course, the guy turned out to be a Hillary fan and the talk turned into some friendly political discussion.  He was under the impression that basically EVERYONE voted Trump out here in the sticks, so I reminded him that a simple majority was enough to move the electoral votes, that most of the people I know are actually independents, while there were probably about an equal number of Democrats and Republicans in the countryside, just another fact often lost by those in the wings.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Spot  on  mornings  news  that  new  chicken  processing  plant  in  eastern  Nebraska  starting  wage  at  '' $13 / hr. ''  - - -

OFF  FARM  opportunity  available  -  Is  said  to  provide  800  jobs  in  Dodge  County  when  the  plant  is  completed - - -

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW  -  further  details  of   good  truck  driving  job    -   -  -

Lots  of  jobs  in  that  field ,  with  help  wanted  adds  being  ENDLESS  -  hint  ,  hint  - - -

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Those chickens have been flying around the midwest promising jobs for a couple years now, but seems the jobless communities don't want them.  Yet the public eats more chikn than ever.

Fat and lazy.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

$13/hr is better than starving, but let`s be honest here, if a husband and wife each make $13, they aren`t going to exactly be house shopping, new Chevy shopping, eating at Red Lobster.  They are going to come home dead tired everyday and never get ahead.  Liberals used to want higher wages for workers and I used to agree more with Democrats on that issue.  But now for the only reason who the president is, they are rabidly fighting  fair trade and secure borders, warning us that "the prices will go up in the stores if workers are paid a fair wage!!!" ...Well yeah, we`ve been buying crap too cheap for too long, I hate to be the one clicking the light switch off and on at 3am but at some point the party has to stop and we need to get up in the morning and get to work ourselves.  

To be honest, $13/hr is what high school and college kids home for the summer need, $13 is not a life`s plan.

You look at a farmer taking a part time $13/hr job, to put in perspective, he would have to work 2 days to afford one bag of seedcorn...I guess any old port in a storm.   Then perhaps the supervisor says "I need you to come in every day next week and if you don`t, don`t bother coming back!"   well, that week is the only dry week to plant before a entire month of rain comes.  That one lost week at work, could cost more than a farmer would ever make back at $13/hr.....so, I don`t know.

One thing about having a off farm job, it keeps you out of stores during business hours, spending money you really don`t have.  And when you go to a farm supply store on the weekend and see that sweet socket set on clearance for $200, regular $500, you think "how many hours do I have to work for $200?...aw, I don`t need it that that bad".  And to eat at Erbert & Gerbert for $12 lunch, "well, how long do I have to work to buy lunch?".

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

fat and lazy and complaining

If it were $40 an hour it wouldn't be enough for the new ______ I desperately need.

rhetoric   rhetoric   rhetoric  rhetoric   

It is not about money............It is about "who fixes dinner"      Someone will and  some won't

Value is an open market.  But being worth something (anything) requires doing something

0 Kudos