cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Off Farm Income Podcast

Well, those that chose their life`s path in those kinds of sub $15-$20 jobs, I can see were after a time they`d feel jaded.  A crippled up old guy that`s been there 30 yrs is maybe making $3/hr more than them, well that`s "their future".    If they have a Gypsy lifestyle being sourced through Manpower, bored with a job just before any small benefits kick in, maybe that`s the best that they can hope for out of life. Then the immigrants that rent a old farm house and 4 or 5 families live there, they can probably just live cheap and make it through.

But with these jobs, if the boss could point to an employee that`s worked there 40yrs and is happy, through raises in pay is making "$40hr" then those starting at $13/hr might have some inspiration.  But, I know the boss`s angle "Why the hell should I pay anyone more than $15/hr?????  I have `em lined up around the block to work here for $13 and if they quit after a couple months, there`s more where they came from!".   I see his point, but all I can say is you get what you get, so don`t bitch.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

My concern is we see "no jobs" as a alternative.

I think jobs is "caring for the poor"...... and is far better for them than handing them $8 an hour in govenment benefits.... and better for me to have another choice for my time if I need it.

But the $ per hour is seldom the complaint from the fools who watch their towns die and fight against chicken processors on their way to KFC.

These days it is all about "Me".  Few care if there are jobs for the common folk.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The "I aint cooking" crowd

Trump is right..... we need a military strong border to the south.... for the drugs and crime control.  And the invasion of government benefit squatters. 40years too late.

But he is also right about a much better foreign worker program that allows the movement of cheaper labor into the US and back home without stealing taxpayer dollars.

It makes a lot more sense than the Clinton answer of moving US manufacturing out of the US to access cheaper foreign workers.  If they are.   Or just to avoid the insanity of US regulatory spasms.

We just have a hard time cheapening up our costs by producing outside the US or living off the taxpayer like academia and federal employees.

0 Kudos