cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Oh, well, Libya...

...isn't a war yet, but the despot has promised to "make it a long one."  Honestly, whose oil are we looking out for now? 

I heard the high-grade crude for jet fuel...which is, I think, why we are so much more concerned for his citizens and their rights, than we have been for anyone, else except the Iragis and Afghanis.  We in the First World have turned a deaf ear and blind eye to a lot of suffering, and selectively notice what we wish. 

Call this what you will, but we are in a World War right now, over oil, nothing else.  Japan's disastrous nuclear situation this week is making nuclear energy look less rosy here, as I speculated a week ago it would. 

Every time there is a coalmine collapse or explosion, and loss of life in the mines, we hear that coal is a killer.  It is in numbers dead far more dangerous than atomic energy, for sure.  The Chinese alone lose thousands of coalminers a year.  Put these guys yo work in a turbine factory. 

Heard the phrase this week that "the Midwest is the Saudi Arabia of wind."  Have previously learned that we have 10 to 12 nuclear plant's worth of wind in the Albemarle/Pamlico Sounds (which are FERC-free, state waters) here in NC, and wind is making waves in the WVA mountains, too. 

The point made in one discussion I watched today is this:  Why not go straight to wind, and forget nuclear?  Not as NIMBY-stricken.  No real waste issues to solve that I am aware of...and if you feel solar is better in the desert Southwest, it's mostly empty anyway.  I quite honestly have to agree. 

So, what am I missing here?  I knwo the birdstrike/batstrike downside of wind; but, those migrations can be planned around, and curtailments are not as complex as shutdowns in nuclear reactors.  You guys see wind development closer uip every day...what is the downside that is holding us back???

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Oh, well, Libya...

We have some wind development in Nebraska --with strong headwinds of resistance on the part of the "bean counters" saying how much it cost's today without foresight of anything built 30 years ago looks brilliant now including nuke plants---today's generated power from any facility built 30 years ago is cost competitive---if cost analysis is done on nuke waste disposal --it would make the "bean counters " shutter having to face the unmentionable word "REALITY"

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We don't have near the amount of wind development as Iowa has. It is almost scary seeing all the windmills along I80 at night. The reason why we are so behind is that we have publicly owned power. No corporation makes decisions and makes profits from the electricity produced in this state. Until this year, we couldn't even export electricity from this state. Now the cost/benefits are determining the future developments of wind in this state.

Side note 1: The power districts are building the distribution network for the Keystone Pipeline pumping stations. They have to have the poles placed before the pipeline is even dug. Given the ruckus of the location of the pipeline over the aquifer, who knows whether the electrical network would be for naught.

Side note 2: Heard that the Niobrara oil fields in Wyoming/Nebraska could be huge. http://geology.com/news/2011/expanding-the-niobrara-oil-play.shtml, Could we have similar cost scenarios that the Canadian sands have?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

wt--you know we have to get that Canadian crude to the export refinery---tankers galore down there wanting a back haul---supose they have one of those can't get a refinery built excuses--use Billings Montana or some idle ones in Kansas---good ole nafta

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Wouldn't take much more pipeline to get to the KS refineries. Follow the money and you easily figure out why things go the way they do.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I would rather look at the cooling tower of a nuke plant than windmills.  I drive by 4 windmills going to my daughters.  They just plain look spooky to me.  And it's rare all 4 are operating at the same time.  Where does the power come from when the wind is idle or barely there?  Having wind and solar is like having to have 2 sets of power sources.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Oh, well, Libya... north and south

The no fly zone pretty much splits Libya in half. Are they creating another north and south Korea situation?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

That would be interesting--north or south Libya--after 50 years and US still is yet to exit Korea--history doen't seem to "soak in"

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This one is interesting, as to justification.  Like the crew of the Starship Enterprise, we give lip service to staying out of the internal workings of sovereign nations, then stumble in and muck it all up. 

At least in our version, there are no awkard scenes with Captain Kirk kissing some alien chick.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Wonder how fast the Japan news becomes second fiddle----

0 Kudos