cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Oh, well, Libya... north and south

Typicla of most stories of this mature, news fatigue is already setting in, even as we are finding out that their food and water supplies are radiation-compromised, our aircraft carrier had to pull baco\k to prevent permanent contamination today, and the last of the outside-miraculous rescues are winding down.  It is a long and tedious grind from here on out, barring further extreme events at teh reactor sites. 

Natural disasters are no competition for March Madness, Charlie Sheen, and that crazy Khaddifi.  You probably noticed the shift from world-centered reportage to US-centered coverage: concerns over radiation plumes, increased prices for electronic devices due to the slowing of the stream of semiconductors while Japan rebuilds, and Japanese-made cars selling out faster than usual at US dealers. 

David Letterman is talking about just this right now...how Khaddafi has turned our minds from the hat trick of earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown.  Predictably, US nuclear plants are taking a lot of scrutiny, deserved or not, especially for seismic potential.  

I guess once you've watched the world turn for long enough, you know what stories and stages the public's interest will follow.  It usually moves pretty quickly from, "those poor people" to "poor me." 

Human nature. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Well said---guess we have a long way to go if we side with every "civil war" in Africa--also seems cruise missle's "aren't" a dime a dozen --on the other hand what's another billion Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: Oh, well, Libya...

Now we lost a F-15--crew is safe -at least one of the two pilots recovered---hate to keep reading and mulling this stuff--but it's reality- just like "undealt" with nuke waste--don't hear much about this war debt or nuke waste for our grandchildren--guess that drum beat has passed ?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Just one-tenth of one percent of the next trillion in national debt....  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

News says nwo tht both crewmembers are "safe."  Reported just that way..."safe." 

My guess is in rebel hands, rather than Khaddafi.   Last blurb says "not shot down." 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I about fell over --now some of the politicans are talking now about the what to do for the middle class and not "honeymooning" with corperate america---even Pat B. on morning jo---imagin that--ssuuuppoosssee they figured out who actually pays the taxes in this country---maybe ya think !  

0 Kudos
Advisor

Just heard 1 in American hands the other with the rebels.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I thought I heard msnbc say both were on their way back to Europe, and the plane went down due to malfunction.  Much easier to pick your spot that way, than with anti-aircraft fire damage, I suppose...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

P.J. O'ORourke has given me a new perspective on taxes in his book, Don't Vote, It Just Encourages the Bastards.   Interesting analysis. 

To offset the share of its burden for all federal services, the family of four must pay roughly $65,000 per year in federal income taxes.  Not many do htat, i think. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Kay---looks like the Carolinas made the "top 5"--unfortunately it was in the most tons of nuke waste--  although North Carolina was no. 5- New York -4 S Carolina 3 -Penn-2.- Illinois  no. "1"  with 9300 tons --fear not it will disperse in about 10 + centuries---thought I 'd give you  a nite cap--well at least know were maybe starting to think about addressing it in some sort of capacity-- 

0 Kudos