cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Ohio Dairy Auction - November 7, 2011

Anyone have any information about Green Dairy LLC being auctioned Nov. 7 2011 by Schrader Real Estate & Auction. Built in 07 & 08 never completed. 2200 head never seen cows.  Are there environmental permits being held up by State?  How can a facility be 90% complete and walk away from?? Schrader is the Receiver by court order for Green Dairy.  This is Northwest OH, Wood Co. Wayne, Ohio. The details and pictures are available at the Schraders web site. 

TIA,

Darlene

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Advisor

Re: Ohio Dairy Auction - November 7, 2011

I'm thinking it's a matter of an entity that simply bit off more than it could chew in the current marketplace. When they started the ball rolling on it..it all pencilled out, and then with all the accumulated regulation...and the fact that milk prices went to hell, and feed went through the roof, they just ran out of money. If you read the sale bill...you're going to be stuck with a half million dollar bill just to pay for a water line that the city of Bowling Green ran out to the farm to supply water. It's to be paid over 20 years...but still seems a bit daunting to be able to pay for it. There were a number of planned dairies that didn't materialize because of public pressure...and the economic environment. Nobody wants a 2200 cow dairy in their backyard. So fighting the neighbors gets really expensive.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I enjoy the 2000 cow dairy next to me. Good neighbors and fine people. We have become good friends. The neighbors? They all have went back to their caves once they found out the dairy is well managed.

Green dairy did not bite off more than they could chew. They got caught in the 2008-2009 financial meltdown when their financier got taken over. The "new" bank did not want any farm loans and they got called. A sorry situation. Northwest Water District manager should be fired for ever running the water line to the dairy. But that's what the neighbors wanted.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Then I guess we're going to have to respectfully agree to disagree Patriot. By entering an arrangement where the reins are in the hands of those who can change their minds on a whim...and having a business plan who's details are so sketchy that no other financial institution would take the risk to pick it up is the very definition of biting off more than you can chew in my book. If they had the financial wherewithal to put down on this operation that would have left some wiggle room in the event of some unforseen difficulties, then I believe they'd have a barn full of cows..and milk trucks tearing up the roads by now. But it was just too risky to throw that much money at a facility, and the banks wouldn't go for it.

As for calling the neighbors cave dwellers....I can't believe you don't think they the right to be concerned about the environment that they have come to enjoy. Even a well managed dairy farm is going to smell like a farm. Look at the people downwind of POET in Fostoria. There's a guy right next door that had a 225,000 dollar home...and I'm betting the placement of the factory took at least 100,000 off the value of his property. That's got to be taken into consideration when you locate a business...and I realize you can't make everyone happy, but you don't go around calling them cave dwellers because they have some concerns.

0 Kudos
Contributor

This WAS the opportunity our business was looking for 15 years ago. Not any longer. These ventures are financed to the max with no room for error, managerial, financially, or herd health. A dairy of this size provides many opportunities for new ventures, corn and bean growers working with the dairy to grow the right corn for cornsilage, hay crops with rotation to corn, nutrient value in the manure for the cropland. Soy stubble works great for freestall bedding.  Custom operators for cornsilage, haylage harvest  and manure disposal.

This facility has sat a LONG time vacant.  Almost worth the 5 hour trip to see how this auction plays out.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

So where should have Poet built? Where should the dairy build? I can't believe a farmer who has that mentality. I bet that guy had a $90000 a year job at Atlas or maybe Autolite at one time. Ag is all Fostoria has anymore. I guess we will disagree.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Have any of you heard what the outcome was?

0 Kudos