cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Friend

Old Urea fertilizer, is it any good?

Hello, I have questions regarding some old bags of urea pellets on my dad's farm. 

They have to be at least 20 years old as I was ten when I first remember seeing them. They could be as much as 35 years old as that was when my dad took over the farm.  They are in terrible condition.  They were originally standard 30 kilogram bags of 40-0-0 urea fertilizer, pelleted. They are completely hard as a rock.  Some have a bit of pelleted material left but ~90% of it is completely rock hard. The bags have holes in them from mice, some it wasn't even stored in bags but in plastic bins open to the air.  All of it has had extensive exposure to seasonal moisture.

They have been stored in a large 100 year old post-and-beam hay barn common to the southern Ontario region.

I'm currently cleaning the farm up since I have some spare time and I'm wondering what to do with them.  Are they still usable? We don't have the equipment to spread it, are they worth anything and maybe I could sell them to a local farmer?  Any recommendations on the price?  I have no idea what they are worth, if anything.  If they are worthless are they at least still good?  I'd rather give them away for free and see them used then to waste them. There's about 30 bags, so close to a metric ton of the stuff.

If they can't be used how should I go about disposing of it?  My dad is wondering if we can break it up into chunks and spread it in the fence rows along the hay fields.  Any thoughts on that?

Thank you for your time,

Adam

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Old Urea fertilizer, is it any good?

I`m no expert, but I doubt there`s be any nitrogen left, urea is pretty volatile even laying on top of the ground over a week without incorporation you`d about lose all the N.   So 35 yrs of humidity and the chemical reaction in the bags.  The thing is dumping it in a field, you`d just basically be putting salt out that isn`t at all needed.   I`d put it on the driveway where you wouldn`t be growing anything anyway.  Neat story though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Friend

Re: Old Urea fertilizer, is it any good?

I figured, at least I know what to do with them now.  Thank you BA Deere for your response, I appreciate the help.  We've figured out a good way to break it up into golf ball sized pieces and we're going to spread them in the fence rows.  I'll be glad to finally get them out of the barn.

Thanks again