cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Old man's daughter and son-in-law are CLASS ACTS

Hope you  don't mind if I respond to this............from post below about Happiness

Old Man writes......"My land is rented to my daughter and son-in law. He is looked down on because he cannot afford new machinery. He is on the school board. And my wife and myself get to know our grandchildren."

About the machinery.........

I can never understand that mindset.  I would think everyone would look UP to them for making use of a resource that would otherwise be thrown out.   By the new paint lovers logic, I guess some NY bond trader driving a Ferrari should really be admired.

I’m not sure my college days were all that worthwhile but I did read a book that I got a lot out of.     Really reinforced a lot of what my parents tried to instill.   The book was “Class” by Paul Fussell.    I’ll paste here a part of it about cars.   Fussell was an East Coast city guy and the writing is pretty high brow but the message is good.  Kind of an anit-new paint message.  When he refers to “upper class” here, he means the good kind of “millionaire next door” types who are not out to impress………Here it is (my underlines)

“The automobile is another mechanism for outdoor class display. Or class lack of display we'd have to say, if we focus on the usages of the upper class, who, on the principle of archaism, affect to regard the automobile as very nouveau and underplay it consistently. Class understatement describes the technique: if your money and freedom and carelessness of censure allow you to buy any kind of car, you provide yourself with the meanest and most common to indicate that you're not taking seriously so easily purchasable and thus vulgar a class totem. You have a Chevy, Ford, Plymouth, or Dodge, and in the least interesting style and color. It may be clean, although slightly dirty is best. But it should be boring. The next best thing is to have a "good" car, like a Jaguar or BMW, but to be sure it's old and beat-up. You may not have a Rolls, a Cadillac, or a Mercedes. . . . . The worst kind of upper-middle-class types own a Mercedes, just as the best own elderly Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Chryslers…….”

6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Old man's daughter and son-in-law are CLASS ACTS

That reference is probably a tad dated, since it fails to mention many very economical cars that are Japanese, German, Korean, etc., in origin. I think a family's choice of vehicle should first and foremost reflect a concern for and insure -via its engineering and maintenance - SAFETY!

Other than that, if you are a " car person", who really enjoys a sporty driving experience, or someone who has long commutes or someone in the family with comfort issues, a more comfortable, possibly more expensive car maybe warranted. In other words, there can be some reverse snobbery involved in judging people harshly just because they don't choose to drive a bucket of bolts.

I tend to buy a nice car every 10-12 years...not a luxury car, but a decent mid-priced model that meets my needs. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what I drive...it is really none of their business.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I would own a new mercedes if i could afford one but then if i could afford one there would be no status in owning one! Lol!

Every one has the right to decide what they think is important life. It's about living your life to your own satisfaction. I don't get to decide whether you should drive amercedes or a run down buick. That is your choice. That don't make you any smarter than anyone else. Or dumber for that matter.

Wise decisions and dumb decisions are a matter of choice and far be it for me to decide what is right for you. or the mentioned daughter or son in law.  I wouldn't waste alot of time worrying about what the neighbors think because their values are surely different than ours. Whats important to them and what  is important to me.  

Of all the acheivements of our lives, our children and grandkids are our greatest acheivement.

To add to your comment, my financial success grew steadily after i shook that addiction to shine green paint and yellow wheels. Black dirt is a better investment than green paint.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Iowa Guy1, Thank you for the kind comment. My daughter has two boys who will never be farmers because there will not be enough land to properly support them .These boys are both in college taking some of the hardest subject like Math and Physics and making straight As

I am proud of them. They are too busy studing to get in trouble

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Rasing a child is about like growing a good crop of corn. YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP A GOOD ROOT SYSTEM IN BOTH. OR THEY WILL HAVE A HARD TIME COPING WITH ADVERSITY LATER IN LIFE 

Senior Contributor

very interesting.  Kind of explains the totally outrageous way the very rich spend their money. 

They can't simply have nice high end things, they must have what no one else can have. 

Makes you wonder how they will spend their money as this supposed improving economy makes more and more millionaires.

0 Kudos

The rubber meets the road on the matter of whether he is willling to call his congressmen and senators and sugest that he's done paying for those neighbors' new paint. 

0 Kudos