cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Packing Plant In Your County?

How about a new packing plant in your county?

There is discussion that as electric vehicles increase, ethanol demand may decrease.  Less demand for corn, so what do you do with the corn acres?  Weeds are getting harder to kill, how about shifting away from monoculture?

Hey, I know!  We'll get the grandson (well, maybe great grandson) out and get him a few sheep and maybe even a cow herd.

Too far to transport them to market?

Naw, we'll get a bunch of guys together and put a new packing plant in our county.

Sound like a plan?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Packing Plant In Your County?

There`s a local locker the butchers 100`s of goats a month for them Molsems out of the Twin Cities.  As things move (in the wrong direction,I believe) demographically we will see a grass roots change in demands for certain foods and the packing plants will come.  If "grandsons and great grandsons" raise goats and make money at it, they`ll be taxed at the 70% rate   Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jim  - Make  sure  you  get  your  Economic  Development  Con-sultants  in  high  gear  for  those  Tax  Abatements  ,  and  in Overdrive  for  those  Apartment  Complex  T I F  financing  - Smiley Wink

I  see  the  one  LARGE  packer  got  a   Residence   Complex  for  employees  to  reside  in  the  town  of  the  plant  -  State  Gov. Partnership  -  tax  payer  -  business  cooperative  agreement  according  to  the  news  - ? 

The  gimmmies  talk  seems  to  be  alive, and  well,  even  in  a  cut  taxes  environment  -  maybe  ? 

Although  the  abundance  of  livestock  doesn't  seem  to  absorb  the  crops  grown ,  so  maybe  a  few  resistant  weeds  robbing  yield  would  be  aLL bad  -?         

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Too many if’s.

In the Midwest—- between the Rockies and Dollywood, what year do you predict electric vehicles to outnumber gas and diesel powered vehicles?
And in that region when will we stop using fossil fuels to generate elec?
And when will our stock investments in elec transportation generate “sustainable”profit? (Without subsidization)
This investment is no different than any other. Questions need real answers..
a packing plant to generate meat, based on the demise of a fuel that is used in record volumes world wide, by a technology yet to show it can meet its claims, in volume or service without mobile fossil fuel generation as support—— without proven public support after 15 years of promotion.

How old will your grand children be when the goat market needs Iowa investment or Iowa stops raising corn? Besides the side issue of “goat rights” and humane treatment. ,, vvv ???

That’s a lot of if’s and buts. But. ..........
Go ahead get in early. The ground floor. One Iowa community could probably corner that “huge” market.
While one town in somewhere corners the hemp market.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I`m a 3rd generation "home body", which isn`t typical of my genealogy having been descendant from Vikings.  Life is supposed to be a journey, yet many of us tend to stay in one place.  Being a farmer it`s understandable, one generation obtains land and next generations hopefully improve on it, not something that itinerants do.   However my kids have Ioway in their rearview mirrors, they`ve fallen in love with places like California, Idaho, Italy, Costa Rica where ever there`s "oceans & mountains", perhaps i`ll learn something from my kids and grandkids  Smiley Happy 

I drive through the country and remember a farm site where a old couple lived, old buildings, a grove of trees, long gone now, the buildings and trees burned and buried, the platbook shows someone way different owns the place now, I`m probably one of the few that recall who lived there 35 years ago.  And that will be most of our fates one day.  

When you get down to it the last 100 years of stability in farm life was an anomaly for most families of agriculturalists.  Driverless trucks and tractors and vertical integration continuing will require less of us that had it so good in the 1980s.   You`ll either be a cog in the corporate wheel or graze goats on the highway right of way to peddle the milk & meat to the collection of characters down at the Star Wars bar.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

---   N  I  O   -    1 st  China  Electric  Car  Company  to  go  public  on US  stock  exchange -  and  China  will  build  5 million  electric  cars  in  2025   ,  is  very  interesting  -  and  lots  of  tax  gimmies  -  -  -

U S A -  on  tap  to  build  1/2  million  -  ?  So  fossil  liquid  fuel  -  ?   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It China builds 5 m - Tesla is stuck with the rich and .....
Otherwise Tesla won’t compete.
But really. China betting on US politicians subsidizing and demanding it another 6 years??

5 m cheap elec cars. Could be a good bet. There’s gonna be a lot of urbanized poor on the coasts if the policrats have their way. The two countries could look very similar in a few years
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I  think  the  coastal  impoverished , once , middle  class, ship  has  sailed  pretty much  sailed -  and  having  car  manufacturer's  installing  20-inch  wheel / configurations( $250 / tire )  on  a  $25,000.oo  over  priced  Suburb  - I  mean S U V, coupled  with  84  month  financing ( options)  explains  it  - - -

Report  this  week - 7 million auto installment financial contracts (OVER 90 days delinquent )  most  seen  since  2007 era  -   -    -

Wall  Street  Gladiators  are  all  in  Shining  Armour  -   Reality  or  Myth  - ?          

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA  -  Check  and  see  if  there  is  a,   T  I  F  Bonds , on  an  autonomous  row  crop  vehicle,  maybe ,  GIT  1 ,   in  liken  to  those  Minne Molines   Grocery  Getter ,  MULTI  function  jobs  - ?  

Light  at  the  end  of  the  tunnel  OR  a  Inter-AGated  Meteorite  -  which  is  it - ?   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

They need to be careful using the "tax increment financing" tool.  Because 20 some years ago our grain basis really sucked and farmers were desperate so they banded together and invested along with Bigshots to get a egg factory in "synergy" was the buzz word of the day.  Well, the egg factory came in and didn`t have to pay county property tax for 10 years, but ....who knew those egg trucks would be so heavy and bust up our roads???   Well, that was an expense the county supervisors didn`t count on and they went from heroes (for bringing industry to the county) to being tarred & feathered and voted out of office  Smiley Very Happy   just like what happened to the group of supervisors that closed the county home and put hard up clowns in the nursing home.

Now the egg factory is privately owned again and I don`t have enough fingers and toes to count all the 1,000 foot long barns they have now, their corn bids are a little better than the elevator and you can get cheap chicken manure, if that`s what you want.

Then you got the Prestage Pork plant, they wanted goodies from Mason City and that city did their homework of more schools and traffic ect and said "no thanks" to which the sore head honcho at Prestage gave the town a lecture and called the whole community "racist" and moved the plant to Eagle Grove...we`ll see how that goes.

If done right, TIF incentives can work, a company maybe can`t expand with the burden of taxes to start up.  But local carpenters, electricians, motels restaurants do more business and if they build it, the idea is more will come.

0 Kudos