cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Smokey

Jump to solution

I agree with you about legislators outside of the ag committee not knowing what the farm bill is about, including  those that keep adding money to the non-ag portion which seems to increase exponentially every 5 years.  Yes, the budget for ag is small, actually, less than 1/4 of 1% instead of the 1% you mention.  Dr. Barry Flinchbaugh describes it as "rounding error" and less of a line item.

I might even add that some members of the ag committees need a little educating as well.  This "Tea Party" victory put several freshmen legislators in the seat and they have no clue what agriculture is all about.  All they want to do is cut the federal budget and they are motivated to use a hatchet approach rather than a scalpel.

As for ag being like the Koch brothers, I have to respectfully disagree with you.  They are worth over a billion dollars, collectively.  Nobody knows exactly as they are a private entity.  At this point, I know of no farmer other than Warren Buffett's son and Ted Turner that may approach that number.  There may be others, but in a very small minority.

Special non-ag interest groups like to use the "American Gothic" image or the "Norman Rockwell" picture when they attack traditional agriculture.  They say farmily farms do not exist, except those who fit that antiquated image of agricutlure, one that has 160 acres or less ---all organic of course-- 20 cows, 15 pigs and a flock of chickens, with the husband and wife dressed like they were back in the Rockwell days. 

These groups are using an emotional argument to demonize traditional agriculture, even though about 98% of all farms in the U.S. are still owned and controlled by family farmers.  Some may have a corporate or partnership structure, but they still are family owned.

Going back to the earlier paragraph; if enough people are motivated to change the way crop insurance and farm policy is legislated, they need to find common ground with each other, present their case before the ag committees and see where the votes end up.  If it is truly important that we limit the mega farms with crop insurance and program benefits, get the votes on the Hill.  That's how we initiate change in this country.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Crop insurance and mega farms

Jump to solution

Point taken and well written.  In some aspects, I echo your experiences.  Best wishes.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I won't argue with much of what you've written on this last post.  We obviously have different experiences and different perspectives.  That's not a bad thing, either.

Yes, agri-business has the money.  I also believe grassroots farm organizations have a lot of clout when the votes come down, as you mentioned.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: Philosophical question on crop insurance subsidies

Jump to solution
You are a joke so should we cap you at $10,000 on your corn sales? I don't get your post? I pay in$150,000 for premiums per year and you think I should be capped at 100k?on what I would receive in a disaster? 100k wouldn't even pay my seed bill farming takes a lot of money and you obviously aren't a full time farmer if you don't realize how much it takes to support a family or several families in an operation and you think $100k is a lot of money these days it's nothing. Now if you are 70 and farming an 80 you inherited with machinery you inherited then I can see where you are coming from.

Our farm runs through millions of Dollars a year. I have landlords counting on us equipment dealers counting on us, input suppliers all rely on us fueling the local economy and supporting their way of life. You cap insurance that low and the whole midwest goes down. Crop insurance is not the devil you obviously aren't smart enough to know how to use it.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

No, I think you should be capped at around $20K per year.

You can still buy as much as you want, you just need to pay for it.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

What I am talking about is the percentage of premium that the government currently subsidizes which varies, depending on product and other elections.

If a 5,000 acre MW farmer is using a product that costs him $12/acre, actual cost might be 30. So the subsidy would be $18, or $90k.

A $20K cap would approxximately give a 1000 acre farmer the same subsidy as is currently enjoyed. The 5000 acre farmer would be getting the same thing on his first 1000 acres so seems "fair" to me.

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi BA, I'm  interestied you would think I should be all over this thread.   You all know that I believe and will continue to believe ALL forms of farm subsidoes should end now.     "Hobby would be saying essentially what we have"  Looks to me like reading on here that many are saying what I always say end the welfare programs bring back capitalism, supply and  demand  let the markets rule.   Like you say end the winner  and  loser govt mentelity in our business world  what were doing now is  non ag must work within the ralm of capitalism but not for the ag producers.   I don't understand  your Don agreement comment  can't say I respond to any if none of Don's comments.    I guess I'm a forum goofs cause I rally against the farm welfare state that some on here support .  

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: $6 inputs?

Jump to solution

Good post! I am surprised that I missed it before.

0 Kudos