cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Physical conditioning

As I get old, I worry about things like heart health.  Are my arteries getting clogged up?  Probably.

I've been working out lately, slowly trying to get back in shape.  In the summer I am not too bad, although I'm too heavy I do stay pretty active.  But in the winter I don't get enough physical exercise.  So, it's on the treadmill, bar bells and exercies bike.  I loath every minute of it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Physical conditioning

Reach for your mate instead of your plate!

0 Kudos
Advisor

Unless the weather is really bad, the best exercise you can get is a good daily walk outdoors.  Farmers just seem not to realize how lucky we are to have a big, private safe place to take a stroll.  

My favorite way to condition is training in Taekwondo.  It has kept me going for almost five years, much healthier now than I was when I started.  After a class is the only time I have no pain at all from arthritis. 

There are days when I feel like you do about it...would rather be beaten than do that series of kicks or another set of knuckle pushups.  About ten minutes into it, though, the endporphins start to make me feel that "exercise high." 

Keep moving! 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Are You sure you are not just tuning up for the day Mike gets tired of your crap? Just had to ask.  *chuckle*

0 Kudos
Contributor

I feel your pain. 

About a year ago I made the decision to go back to school in a "wind turbine technician" program. That means climbing 300 foot towers! A month or so later I was at the doctor and weighed in at 214 pounds (not overweight but at least 2 inches to short). It occurred to me that is a lot of weight to be hauling up a 300 foot tower so I started biking, running and climbing my 80 foot silo. I didn't mind it so much except one day my wife got upset that I was biking instead  of doing farm work so I had to try work out without her knowing (I know that's kinda sad). I think she knew 'cause I still had to endure some sarcastic comments through out the summer. Anyway I got down to 185 and felt a lot better. When fall came the exercising kinda fell off but since school started after Christmas I've been getting up before her and doing some more running and climbing. This morning it was 10 below zero and about 15 mph wind from the northwest but I still went a mile and a half, climbed my 80 foot silo twice and carried about 50 gallons of water across my yard. I can't wait for spring to ride my bike again and sweat!!

Whenever I start loathing exercise I try remember a quote heard from a guy named Zig Ziglar;

"You don't pay the price for good health, you enjoy it..... You pay the price for poor health"

0 Kudos
Advisor

I am sure he's had enough of me on many occasions, but he always comes back for more.

The wonderful thing about TKD is that you can kick a man in sparring gear as hard as you want to, and it's considered a good thing. 

0 Kudos