cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Possible Changes In Your Satellite TV

If you are like many rural TV watchers, you are hooked to a satellite dish from one of the big companies like Dish.

Dish is losing customers and a sizeable rate.  The competition from cable is great, and satellite is a one-way broadcast while cable let's you interact.

What about the people like you and me you can't get cable?  Dish appears to be looking for customers who will pay more for service and stay longer.  As they lose cable customers, people like us rely more on Dish, so if they want to raise prices we may squeal but we may also pay, at least up to a point.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dishs-biggest-subscriber-loss-analysis-913156

Personally, I'm not too far off from unhooking, but that's easy to say and not so easy to do.  There are many, many shows we watch that aren't availbe on local TV or would cost a lot to stream on my very slow internet connection.

Have you unhooked yet?  Will you?  Or are you hanging in there?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Possible Changes In Your Satellite TV

Never been hooked up to the crap, they`d send out those teaser postcards with offers of "$29.95 month Skinimax and Hobo 24 months only terms subject to change "    but on the air tv we get 30 channels from all over, and we still don`t get our work done.  But I like the M.E. tv with the Rifleman, Have Gun will Travel and then PBS`s McLauglin Group and Market to Market...what more do you want?   We buy episodes of The Walking Dead through amazon or Netflix so we`re set. 

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Funny you posted that up Jim - We have had the -- " talk " about unhooking with dish net just the other day  , I will admit - I have a high priced package and not to proud of that - yet there are some shows - sports that have bundled so you have to pay for - say 10 channels that I will NEVER watch to just get that one - The biggy for me is the channel that carrys the Indy Cars and F-1 - My wife has been on me to drop the whole dang thing - but Ken is having a problem pulling the plug on them - I'm just weak I guess . Besides - every BIG cloud that go's over - we lose the signal .

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

We are in the middle of the same discussion --------- for the 4th time over the last 10 yrs...  We are changing address again. Not for the 4th time.........  Back to the one across the alley....  A chance to cut the chord....... so to speak..

I am sick of calling them to take things off and end up getting more for the same amount ///// TEMPORARILY

We record a lot of shows we share a liking for,   gunsmoke, big bang, and movies, etc...... and watch our sports addictions...as well..  So much I have to strain to remember the beauty of radio broadcast.

But it is foolishly overpriced at $ 130+/- a month.

When I can watch every mlb baseball game I want to on my computer or phone for $26 a month...

What are the options---- internet tv? apple tv? Net flix?

0 Kudos