cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Premium standard corn

Thanks so much for the premium standard farms article. It is well written and nonjudgmental. Assuming a reader can think. Nice.
Fitting prelude to agriculture in the technology age.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Premium standard corn

I  think  I got your  -  drift,  hint - leverage maybe ---     

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Monsanto & friends led the takeover movement going after the seed production first.
Lab meat, contained vegetables ......... it really doesn’t take much to draw investment capital
Leverage. Farmers talk about being extended..... stock market companies all leverage at much greater levels.
Silicon Valley is leverage heaven. When they decide to produce food this story will be followed by many more with similar result.
I love that quote. It is true and exemplary of the ag culture. If one does something different and 10 watch it, 1 will copy, 2 will watch next 2 years, but 7 will despise him and 4 of those will leave farming and the other three’s sons will give the idea a try eventually.

We are self limiting.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smiley Happy.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Appears  51% can be a brutal figure , along with  7-1 ===

Bragging , complaining, or feel sorry for me could have been a 1 - Headline, 2 Sub- Headline , 3 body copy -reality check ===

Stating  those Midwest producers were lacking production skills, an elastic feel good parting shot exemplifies an un-excusable business- mindset ---

UN - FAKE  NEWZ - don't place bets you can't cover,  although the venture accelerated unsettled - Macmilliand def  ( a problem or argument that has not been dealt with successfully) ideas of sustainability still in place -being infusion's of a tsunami of capital or a business exit strategy called  Chapter ? ---             

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I appreciated an explanation as to what actually happened to our industry and what we endured....

I was forced out by an unplanned funeral in 1989 and was sold out of hogs by 1993 to take care of my partners grain production.  I luckily have always found timing to work out..... I was lucky.

1n the following year I bought 2 trailer loads af great fats for 8 to 11 cents a pound from a friend who was shutting down his herd.  I did some transporting and distribution and we fed a lot of folks on tight or no budgets.

Bad times......... I always wondered about the details and it was nice to read his version.

Also I thought the wreck would have stopped wall street in its tracks....... but reality was they took over anyway.  The originals got hammered but the industry left the farm....   I have never understood that.... and most every opinion on the subject over the years is just that..... an uninformed opinion that teaches very little.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I was through iowa in the 70's a couple of times ....... fact was the hog production then was as not very polished...........

But i agree with you--the midwest was developing the production systems those guys coppied by the late 1980's.

Unfortunately if Iowa farmers or kansas farmers were given the investment capital that those guys were............................

I think the events were inevitable...... if not these guys then someone else in the "midwest" would have fallen prey to investor capital and corporate control.

It is as much a function of wall street at the time as it was conditions in agriculture.

0 Kudos