cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Price doesn't matter

We have been told by the "experts" that price matters.

For years on here it's been beat over our heads we are too expensive a supplier.

Well guess what we now have proof that was just B.S.

Soybeans in South America are $100 a ton more expensive and they can't load them fast enough. That's $2.50 a bushel more.

Looks like a little picketing in front of Harbor Freight, and especially Wal-Mart might be in order.

We are expected to buy Chinese stuff BUT are snubbed by them...

We have been told for years price matters, country of origin matters more.

Glad the new tires I just put on the semi last week were "made in USA"

Made in China, is going to meet with I don't want it . Going to be supplier of very last resort.

Their actions are having a reaction at my place.

11 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Price doesn't matter

Harley Davidson bye bye, sometimes it doesn’t pay to be wrong. Because of what’s going on nothing will be American pretty soon not even the crops.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I'm sure the 100$ per ton more they are paying for South America soybeans is justified, either through trade war worries, higher oil/protein content, or the reduced transportation cost to get it to China. 

The only variable America can control of those three, is the trade war worries....

Honored Advisor

you are wrong on many of your assumption

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I am going to pay more attention to labels and try even harder to buy American.   There`s a lot (too much) where there isn`t a option.   China really made me angry how when it was pointed out in black & white how they have been taking us, instead of behaving like friends and saying "Oops our bad, we`ll fix it" they slap tariffs on us.  Well that shows who we`ve been dealing with.

Bruce Rastsetter was on the WHO Big Show and he made me angry, he said "We``ll give the Trump administration 60 days to solve trade issues....or else".   You know these self appointed agriculture "advocates" are really pieces of work.  If China hear him, they know to wait 60 days and then Bruce Rastetter says "or else!"....Or else what, Rastetter????  You think I`m gonna write letters or lobby against the president????   Not bloody likely!   You`re on your own with that one. 

During WWII there was a saying "Loose Lips Sink Ships".

Contributor

Since syngenta is owned by the Chinese government farmers shouldn't buy any seed or chemical grom them.
Honored Advisor

That is a very good first step, Circlefarmer.   If they won`t buy the soybeans from us, well we won`t buy the seed from them!

Honored Advisor

Harley was a good pun......

"Harley Davidson was a wreck waiting to happen".  

A mix of the tech boom money, high dollar grain prices and way too many "Baby Boomers" who need the assistance of a collision to dismount.

Got a nearly brand new franchise and building locally boarded up and lost thinking those gray haired nomads were going to buy overpriced toys indefinitely..

An outstanding example of foolishness foolishness and love for a good bad guy.  The most expensive wheel chairs money can buy and we will buy a trailer and a new truck to tow them so we don't muss our hair.

Was a pretty good movie script but the bubble has popped..  And at corn with a $3 or $2 who cares....if that building ever opens again.

It may be trumps tag line ........    Like  Bushes "switchgrass" and "cellulosic" path to a better world.

Yes  Price matters.   WEEE  built this mount everest pile of expenses just to get the same bushel of grain.  Wee wanted more for less, tractors that drive themselves.  And a living wage to pay for our wants.

It wiil be a much more bumpy decline than the 1980's ..... No good way to work our way through it.  

And since we don't care about the real crop at usda.  It will take years to realize our mistakes.    Microbes...... listen usda the key to job security in the next 40 years.....Microbes.

I'm thinking a Microbe conservation program. 

Veteran Advisor

SW  -  you   might  include  seed  embryos  units   &  Energy  Information  Agency  ,  A P I   also  -  -  -

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Heard on radio that 80% of Iowa farmland is debt free so the farm economy is strong.  Over half the land is rented out, so basically that 75yr old retired guy renting out his 240 doesn`t have it mortgaged, that`s good.  But you take a look at those renting and own land that they might have mortgaged, if prices stay low, how long does the banker carry a operator before he wants a mortgage before he extends more operating money?  That could happen as fast as a finger snap.   

What concerns me is, it wouldn`t take much land forced on the market to send prices downward.   A typical chunk of land comes up for sale every 30yrs, so 3% of land is on the market, well if that percentage bumped up to 10%, the land buyers might have the money, but wouldn`t want to attempt to "catch a falling knife".   There seems to be no shortage of mad money to buy land from cardealers and contractors, but even they would be willing to wait for a bargain in a falling market, which would exacerbate the problem.   Land gets cheaper, so the banker wants more land mortgaged or sold...pretzels & beer.

0 Kudos