cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Pricing Fuel???? Chemicals???

Well eventually someone is going to take our puppet president seriously on his climate nonsense.... so think about 

locking in some fuel costs for 2021   ---- and maybe herbicide costs.....   between the pipeline  and the stopping drilling of federal lands we will eventually wake up to the fact that the world still depends on fossil fuels for 80% of its power outside of nuclear.

Any of us doing that??

4 Replies
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Re: Pricing Fuel???? Chemicals???

I have most of my herbicide priced and paid.  Still have a lot of spring fertilizer needs unpriced  I have not done anything with fuel.  In fact now I am running hand to mouth, so to speak.   Since I have mineral production on my farm, it is easy to close my eyes and call it a wash with the price volatility.  Maybe too easy, I am sure I could save $$$ by timing my fuel purchases a little better.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

There used to be jokes about if things get bad that "farmers would storm Washington waving pitchforks" in this political environment I`m a little concerned just describing the jokes of the past.  May well get a knock on the door by "the men in black". 

I wonder if some countries finally figured it out to let someone else (the US) raise the grain and  just buy it instead of scratching in the dirt with a sharpened stick themselves.    I`m not going to use the two words (new plateau) in price, you can bet all inputs will go higher wanting their piece of the pie...and we`ll be happy to give them a slice with ice cream.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

BA   === In the day of congressionally created monopolies(fundraising donors) there is no doubt costs will rise  I am just thinking about protecting one year...........   that is all we can do  IMO

But the short 40second video below says all there is to say about present leadership and its imaginary climate crisis.

There are a few different issues that affect commodity prices world wide.

1--Cyclical weather conditions have seen drought affecting the major grain producing areas of the world for nearly 10 years if not for centuries...... 

2--Of the 5 major production areas of the world  Brazil/argentina, US/Canada, China, Russia, europe/australia--- Europe and australia is the most honest...   SA might be somewhat deptendable...... But big three in trade (China,US, and Russia/Baltic) region have pretty much propaganda numbers---- China is always politbureau releases, Like their hog losses or deaths to covid numbers --- everything is propaganda.   Us has been on record production news releases and the beginning of that "promotion at usda" can be traced to the push in congress for green energy, and the ethanol push based on that "Monsanto" wizard of oz testimony to congress.

3   Technology and its effect on agriculture........... which fizzled after gps and gmo seeds first few strides.    Maybe robotics will produce corn as well as cars but so far that has been slow and costly.

My thoughts on the leadership of presidential proclamations............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubIpoPjBUds

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey SW, pre 1995 it was weed control that was a governor on how many acres that a Bigshot could handle.  Then Roundup Ready seed came out and the Bigshot no longer had to hire yahoos with row cultivating skills, that broke through the 3,000 acre ceiling and now there`s clowns with 30,000 acres or more.  Technological, economic advantages get very hard to come by above 30,000 acres.  

But I think as fence boundary lines come out, old homesteads buried and tracts of thousands of acres can be farmed contiguously we`ll see another jump in efficiency.  As it is now to farm 30,000 acres in Iowa, you need to have a 200 mile radius (a lot of road time) .   30 acre patches is hardly worth pulling into with a 24 row planter, let alone a 48 row.

Once tracts get large enough (gravel roads taken out, 4 mile rounds) I think the advantages of robotics will really shine.  Hope I`m not around to witness it   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos