cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Proposed Changes To Clean Water Act

The EPA and Corps of Engineers are trying to expand their reach.  Here is a very interesting article discussing the details.

There is a public comment period that is open from 21 April to 21 July 2014.

https://www.calt.iastate.edu/proposed-regulations-would-likely-expand-reach-clean-water-act

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Proposed Changes To Clean Water Act

I learned back in. The eighties that regulatory agencies measure their power and influence by how much they hold oversight on...the more, the better. That calls for more staff. Bigger budgets. More people who must kowtow.

This one is going to cause a world of hurt.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I think that Kay is right - or has a good point about the power and influence that one can control or tey to control , Let's gp back a few years . Ohio farmers did kill a large lake with chicken manure run off , Boy that opened the door ! Then they wanted to list chiken litter as a hazardous material , then IN counter with its a Nutrient , Which it is - So know I have to have a Cat. 14 license , Which I do have .

I know , your say'n' Ken , what is your point , well I have to run around the barn lot first , but my big problem is not with farm run off as much as city run off !  Where do's the rain run off go ? It go's to the rivers , But what's in that rain water ? How many of these yawns have had pesticides and Fert. put on them ? Well my guess is that some of it makes it to the rivers THEN I about crapped on this one , A few years ago , Indy got flooded , big time , and they had to dump --- untreaded sewage into White River , to unload there system , it could not handel that much rain . Know to me thats just wrong - What IF I had a large pit and we got flooding rains and It ran off to Big Blue , I bet that my **bleep** would bein the ringer over that one !

The EPA have they head's up there rear ends and go after the easy targets -  Why not big citys ?? Oh I know - It was a act of God and asthe old saying go's -- Blank happens - right ?

I'm not targeting Lawn care , But the do it selfers sure don't help matters .

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I think Ken is talking about the bad algae blooms on some lake here in Ohio. The problem I have is that there were algae blooms in lake that didn't have any farm in the warershed. Some of the lakes could not have had any kind of farm runoff and still had algae???
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Waste systems, like most products of engineers, are built to contain a rated storm event. In NC, the NRCS required our lagoons to be able to handle a 25-year 24-hour storm, which for us is about 7 inches. Public waste management systems are engineered to similar standards, and are sited near the river because itis the low elevation, and sewage collection is powered by gravity.

The problems arise when Mother Nature exceeds the engineers' expectations. Hurricane Floyd in 1999 was a 100-year storm. It taught everyone a lot.
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

One thing to keep in mind grass - sod retains nutirents in the root mass which isn't the case for row crops although applying to concrete is not the case like applying liquid manure on snow covered frozen ground ---

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Our waste permits prohibit application to saturated or frozen ground. All applications have to be made within 30 days of a growing crop.
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

It is not allowed here although it seems to just happen ---

0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

I will be more curious what the EPA will do, when it gets the power to regulate what you put on your field, by what comes out of your tile lines.  I would think, that with all the new definitions of the 'waters of the US', that a drain, that leads to a ditch, that goes directly into the river, would fall into that.  

I will be curious at what possible repercussions, that would have, and how they would regulate pesticide and nutrient applications, based on what's in the drain water.  There are regulations on when and how much manure can be applied, due to the potential of contamination, but nitrates are nitrates, whether from pig poo, anyhdrouns, or urea.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I would welcome tile outlet testing. As long as they test septic tank outlets also. I have two neighbors that dump raw sewage straight into the road ditch. It's not totally their fault. Back in the nineties the county health department wouldn't allow leach beds. Everyone installing a new system had to have a aerator. And now need to have their tanks pumped very often. If they don't or if the aerator fails, bad news. One you can see human waste floating across their yard. Is the EPA ready to take on those issues.
0 Kudos