cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Proposed budget cuts ag spending

It's likely one of your oxen will be gored by the proposed budget for USDA and agricultural spending.  It is tempting to call this a Farm Bill, but that nomenclature is not correct.  .

"Summary:
 The Fiscal Year 2013 budget proposal calls for a savings of $7.955 bil. from USDA cutbacks in 2013. Some of those were not a surprise, such as the planned elimination of the direct payment program, but there were many other cuts that were surprises. Throughout the federal budget there were many other departments with rural service programs that were being cut. The Congress has to consider the budget, and with the political dysfunction in Washington, many changes are expected, but there could be programs that are cut even further. "

Among the cuts:

Direct payments

CRP

Crop insurance subsidies

Office consolidation

Various record keeping and research funds

Outreach and publicity money

A bunch of grant programs.

It looks to me like if you want in on a project, it might be good to try to get in this year bucause future years might have less or no funding.

http://www.farmgateblog.com/article/1541/do-you-have-an-agricultural-program-target-by-the-white-hou... 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Proposed budget cuts ag spending

Good they need to be cut, CRP should go first why pay someone to probuce nothing. Put up some fence and raise cows if it isn't farmable. The price of beef is crazy right now, although I'm loving selling these high priced steers, so all you out there keep tearing up pasture to plant corn.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

How do you think the cut in budget will effect things like cash rent, macinery costs (new and used), fertilizer/herbicde prices??

I always looked at my direct payment as a "stimulus package" even though that term didn't become popular till last few years. My landlords and John Deere got most of those payments in the end.

Guess we may find how my tag at the end of my posts really works.

My greatest joy would be telling the FSA offices where to go. But I imagine that they will not let us get off with out controling us some way. I learned many years ago on the school board that if you got money from someone (state or federal) they will tell you how you can spend it. There is no free lunch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not a chance any cows or other livestock are going to show up here.  Thru my younger years saw how animals made farming a year around effort and much more than 8 hours every day including Sundays and holidays.  Never able to get away from the "grind" and dairy is even worse.    Beef is very high and that is OK, because we have been eating little beef, no steaks,  and more chicken and pork.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Aren't you supposed to work eight hours a day. I start at seven in the morning and normally done by three in the winter, and I've got quite a few critters. Why sit around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Nothing wrong with eight hours/day it is the endless 14-16 hr days.   Always something that needs to be done, feeding, nursing, handling manure, caring for sick animals,  helping with birthing labor, repairing fence.  All of this is in addition to raising crops and machinery maintenance.   Been there and done it when growing up.  Undoubtedly you can hire additional labor but that usually brings more headaches and the associated personnel issues.  If  PETA eventually prevents grocery meat sales thereby making it necessary to raise my own animals, a few may take temporary residence.   Otherwise only the abundant wildlife, and the neighbor's cat that has proved to be an outstanding mouser are provisionally welcome , all others are permanently banned and that definitely includes horses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Regardless of one's opinion, on some issues, it seems Obama is saying one thing while doing another.  Research, for example, is one program he supposedly supports, yet, he proposes cuts to ag research.  Go figure.

Either way, his budget is DOA, even from some major Democrat's perspective.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We call an 8 hour day -- slacking. And we don't have any cows on the place anymore.  Not because of the work, but because my heart wasn't in it. Used to have a cow / calf herd until about 10 years ago. Have been just a row crop operation since. That is a 60 hour a week job now (and that is just in the winter). Anything less than a 12 hour day in season means it must have rained. Guess I don't have a very strong union.

I am not complaining; this is what I love. Faming and doing it right -- that is the goal anyway, doesn't always happen. I don't know many people that are self employed that work only 40 hours a week. To each there own -- if you want a job that you can just walk away from after 8 hours don't complain if someone else takes the risks and makes more money; that entrepreneur can also lose it all.

I have nothing but respect for livestock people. You have to do what you love.

I thought we were talking about the farm program payments???? Sorry for getting off topic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Remember that as important as making a living is , don't forget to live.

I have yet to hear someone on his death bed regret that he didn't spend more days cultivating corn.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I personally have no problem with most of the cuts.  The program I find most attractive is the crop insurance subsidy.  If it didn't exist, I'd likely not buy crop insurance.

What you see depends on where you stand.  As much of the farming population is older and many have the land paid for, some of the programs aren't as attractive to them.  I've never been a fan of payments that only get factored into land prices and other expenses.  I think the economy can work that kind of thing out without paying off the land owner . 

0 Kudos