cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Pulling the plug-- new employee

When do you pull the plug on a job applicant with some experience.  

At the interview when they tell ya everything they think you want to hear?

The first morning when they miss thier ride and show up 4 hours late?

The first day when they claim to have lost their drivers license?

The second day when he drives to work in your truck and still can't produce a drivers license,  left at home......?

The third day when he doesn't make work because his dog is sick?

The forth day when he brings a handgun to work?  Claiming licensed to open carry.

The fifth day when he claims a burglery kept him from coming to work in the morning?

The fifth afternoon when the sheriff's deputy you ask to investigate the break-in, tells you --- no break in, but found a 16 yr old runaway girl in the guys house and by the way,,,,,, that drivers license comes up suspended??

January always brings at least one fun week.....

0 Kudos
18 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Pulling the plug-- new employee

You could always scale down to where you and your family could do the work. Nobody in your neighborhood could give a rats about this terrible dilema. Advertise the position at a living wage and you might be surprised who shows up.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

You could always scale down to where you and your family could do the work  

Oh come here bruce ! sw is like 90 years old ! and YOU what him to go back to work - as in like full time ????  Just shaken my head here ! and with an eye roll to boot !

As far as the new guy - Don't sound  like that bad help - I'm just say'n' here - He can't help that his ride was irresponsible and caused him to be late !  Smiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I am sure he would have been a great employee if only the job had been advertised at a higher wage...... Smiley Wink

Deep thoughts

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

Neither here not there as far as this discussion goes.

Several years ago I was vsiting with a young farmer who had about 6000 acres under lease. He shared with me that the obviously extremely competent guy who served as main mechanic/operations manager/operator for him was paid $75K.

Only $12.50/ acre and if he could do the thing with that guy, himself and some family/seasonal labor he was worth it.

In that case I'd suppose the problem isn't the $75K hired hand, it is (possibly) the $100/acre negative margins on 6000 acres. Which may make the guy problematic at some point.

Packard27
Senior Contributor

Firing people is a bit of a paradox. Everyone feels bad when you eventually have to pull the trigger, but (and this is the important part) everyone, to include the fired employee, is secretly grateful that what has become an intolerable status quo has finally come to an end. 

Anyone who has ever been fired before already understands how this works. An employee no longer likes getting out of bed in the morning because he does not think his boss appreciates his worth or contribution to the organization. Or worse, he is obviously failing at what he does (e.g. losing NFL/Division I college football coach) and pride or potential access to unemployment benefits prevents him from just quitting.

Bottom line: When things are not working out and remedial counseling and training do not fix the problem, do yourself and the employee a favor. Pull the trigger. Wish him well and then move on. Call it a mercy firing if you like. Mercy for everyone, that is. Good luck. 

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

What will you do or say, when that next employer calls for a reference after the guy applies for the next job.

I had that experience one time and I answer each question truthfully but I didn't volunteer any info other than what was requested.

A year or so later, the same employer called me and asked me why I didn't tell him the employees short comings. The truth was the guy was married and had a family to support. Just because he couldn't work for me didn't mean he couldn't work somewhere. So rather that freely offering the negatives I elected to not disclose his short comings.

What will you do?

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

You're absolutely right Don.  You have to be vary careful these days how you answer that call.

I think the safest/best question in that situation is:

"If you knew then what you know now would you have hired the individual?"

When I managed a machine shop for 9 years I hired and let go a number of people.

Most of the ones that were let go knew it was coming because the expectations

had been clearly laid out.  The hard part comes when the work slows down

and you have to let go of good, hard working people.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I agree it is a difficult answer to give...

In this case the answer is he didn't qualify for the position.  I probably wouldn't even mention why--no drivers license...Which at that point made it easy 

Truth is, he never got the job.  and that is as much as I can disclose.  

If he lists me as a character reference then that is a different issue.

I feel real sorry for him if that is the case.

They can call authorities or their insurance agent to have the drivers license checked as well as I can..

I seldom call the previous employer if he was dismissed.  If you do, you have two sets of half truth to interpret.

But we seldom refuse to interview because he was dismissed from another employer.  Everybody learns from experiences.  

This was a "learning experience" and bazaar.  Hopefully for everybody involved.

If we could hire good character, in our workplace, the rest can be taught.  But it is the hardest part to test and interview for.

Talent just can't overcome its absence.

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

"Talent can't overcome the absence of character"

sw - you should get the copywrite on that!!

0 Kudos