cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Purple Paint?

In a waste credit recertification class yesterday, one of the hours was the legislative update.  Always interesting.

In the absence of FAA regulation of UAS,  NC has deemed drone prying on private property illegal.  Good to know. 

ATVs operators have to have written peromssion to ride on your land, too.  Moves the ball on the  issue of such a nuisance to their court. 

Further, a mention was made of the "purple paint" law, which had passed and which I hadn't heard of before.  For purposes of marking property against trespass to hunt, fish, trap or gather pine straw (big, expensive mulching material in the South), all that is required is a mark of purple paint, eight inches long, no less than three nor more than five feet from the base of a tree or pole, every 100 yards.

Much simpler and cheaper than posting signs, which the jackasses tear down.   Something to start working on soon. 

First time I'd heard of this type of law...wondered if your states allow landowners to use such a system, too? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
dnorris1
Contributor

Re: Purple Paint?

The purple paint law has been in effect in Kansas for several years.  You can give notice to trespassers and support the K-State Wildcats at the same time.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I our part of Carolina, it would be in support of ECU...Go, Pirates!!!
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

As dnorris1 stated it has been adapted and accepted in the state of Kansas several years ago.  As a landowner, I feel this is a better system than the posting of signs for the same issues you previously stated.  It seems to be common knowledge amongst hunters and landowners and is a system that seems to be working as designed.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Been in Missouri for years.  Not something to mess with there.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Sounds like a good program. Wish we had it in Ohio.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Start the trend buck, at the very least you'll get your neighbors talking. LOL
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Take it to grouos like Farm Bureau, and point them to states where it is already in force. I have done this before, and it resukted in the legislation required to make it easier for landowners to protect themselves more easily.m

If forestry is a force where you live, as it is in the Southeast, take it to forestry organizations. Farming grouos, especially Farm Bureau, where there is insurance invilvement, really like ways to post to limit liability for injured trespassers.
0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

I wound if the color is red in Nebraska?
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I wonder about the UAS privacy business. The FAA has been making noises about privacy, but really has no charter to rule on it. It is more properly a state issue, I think. Anyway, if I rent an airplane and fly over your farm, I can take all the pictures I want. If I loiter and become a nuisance, that may be something else. So, if I fly a UAS over your property, why can't I take a picture?  Especially if I don't loiter but only make a pass overhead.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos