cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

RSW

Many of you recall a fellow on here in years past who owned land in north central Iowa but lived in Apply Valley, MN (Minneapolis suburb next to Burnsville).who went by RSW. He had a nice home there, but certainly not a mansion, by any stretch of your imagination. He passed away yesterday, only in his mid 50's from cancer.

I had gotten to know him a little, as my daughter and son-in-law and two children live right across the street in a cul de sac. Our daughter texted yesterday morning about 7:30 -- they were carrying Rick out in a body bag.

I remember the first time I realized who he was. I had read his posts on here and often skimmed over them as they seemed bragadocious in nature. I also realize some people are so insecure, they need to brag, but I never commented.....I won't argue with anyone about anything....(Norwegian heritage, I suppose). He walked over and introduced himself as Rick, and when he found out I was from north central Iowa, he immediately started telling me all his farming experiences - custom farming operation - how much land he owned - what he had payed for it - etc. it all started to sound familiar, thus I put his initials together and asked if he ever went on Successful Farming's website. "Ya, but they are kinda' argumentative on there", he said.

His funeral is being held down near Des Moines, and this whole story ends kind'a sad, since as one person replied when asked at a funeral of a wealthy land owner who had just passed on..... "How much did he leave"?........."All of It"....And suddenly, all the land listed under his name in the Plat books had different owners......RIP Rick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: RSW

Rest in peace RSW.  I remember him, he did like to brag, but he seemed to be a nice guy.   I assume his life story was fairly accurate about picking up farms in the 80`s cheap and sometimes having to use a credit card to make payments and eventually amassing 1500 or so acres.  It seemed he wasn`t a farmer, but had it custom farmed.  

I love stories like that and I was talking with a buddy of all in our neighborhood that if they wrote a book on how they made it, we`d definitely buy it  Smiley Happy   There was a dairy farmer in the F.C area  Bob S. that worked his tail off, very conservative, but he got health problems and then money troubles followed.  He was talking once about a local over achiever (all I`d have to say is his first name   Smiley Happy  ) Bob said "all it would take is for him to have a health problem and his operation would be done" .   Well that`s the truth, it`s a cliche but your health is everything.  Story about Bob he was a rock ribbed Republican, but when he got in money trouble, he decide to try Democrats out (as many do) well he went to see Bill Clinton in Mason City, waiting to get out of the packed parking lot his transmission overheated....that mighta been a sign, just sayin`    Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Contributor

LOL....I can fill in all those blanks, BA :-)

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

4010 I think you mentioned that you had met him several years ago...... and that he was not well....   

If so that has been a long battle for him.

Thanks for your notation on his behalf........... RSW

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

He used to post on agweb as Ia corn farmer. Sorry to hear of his passing. May God grant him eternal peace.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Here`s a link to Rick`s obit.  To see someone`s obituary picture puts in perspective that there`s a real person on the other side of the screen.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/desmoinesregister/obituary.aspx?n=richard-s-wilson&pid=192920596&f...

0 Kudos