cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Ready to Date Lisa Again.

Lisa doesn`t care if you don`t have the newest machinery, she doesn`t care if you don`t plant smartstack corn with a pretty winged logo, Lisa doesn`t care if you plant a little crooked.  Lisa loves you for you. It`s been many years since I`ve dated Lisa, I`ve chased high maintenance women and now there are bills for that, it`s time to open the little black book and find Lisa`s number...I wonder if she texts? Smiley Happy

10 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Ready to Date Lisa Again.

Yeah, Lisa's a hottie. She clips coupons, doesn't demand a new car, doesn't break the bank with spa visits or expensive makeovers....I love that gal. LOL

Seriously, spending $350 a bag for the newest RIB quadtruple stacked corn seed, new paint, coop agronomists recommended fertility, the newest herbicides, etc etc is no longer an option for those that want to stay in business going forward.

We bought our seed wholesale for about 60 cents on the buck, saved $100/ton by buying fertilizer wholesale and spreading it ourselves, and our equipment budget is going to consist of needed repairs. I guess the downside is that we didn't get any jackets or hats or colored underwear.

I want to have a bulging bank account in 2017-2018 to take advantage of the buys that I see coming down the road. Now is the time to get your house in order...after the best decade ever in farming, there is going to be a huge hangover, too.

Nothing wrong with $3 corn, and $7 beans if what you buy decreases accordingly, and you are not saddled with $10,000/acre land payments or $350/acre land rents.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes Red, that high maintenance woman that many have been running with will command a large "palimony" settlement in the form of after tax payments on machinery that was schedule 179`d in the salad days of 2008-2013.  Lisa will be able to help some, others Lisa is too little too late.

I cut all that I was able this year, next year inputs are going to have to fall in line much better, especially if we are looking at $2.50 cash corn this fall.  I do know one thing seed salesmen better not even bother coming out in September.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I used to work with a girl named Lisa. She was a real butter face.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Did you thank Obama for the best decade in farming? Maybe that was the time to get your financial house in order. Just because you make huge profits does not mean you have to spend it all.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You should have oid for the machinery with your tax savings. I bet you never thought of that.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yep we almost made it to parity now its back to poverty.  

Honored Advisor

Yeah, thanks Obama...now do whatever you did again and bring back $6 corn and $13 beans...Oh yeah, what was it exactly that he did?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Come on guys - were giving the  ''' world'' ' we are feeding a 50% discount ---

Advisor

Generally my strategy since 2011 although, imho, the 2012 drought extended the boom for a couple more years. Stuff like that can and will happen.

One fly in that ointment is that our new corporate privatized form of government ag rewards APH so there is some incentive for buying yield with high priced inputs (gosh, you don't think those nice city fellers' lobbyists were in the dark room where that was written, do ya?).

But in my case I guess I can always retire if my APH drains away a bit over 10 years and let some young tiger pay me the premium that he can afford with his 200/65 numbers.

0 Kudos