cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Reporter writing about labor shortages

So what happens to they unemployed guy, or the neighbor that I've just successfully pissed off by the game of cutthroat? Sorry Kraft, not me. Thank goodness I don't have or need employees. Stepping all over friends and/or neighbors to hire quality help is something I won't do.
0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

What I'm saying is that you don't want alazy assed guy that won't work. Hire someone that will and pay what the market is. Do not expect good labor at a cheap price.

Government is subsidizing the unemployed while waiting for you to come up with a better deal. Instead you would prefer they pull the rug from under the unemployed so they would be forced to do your work for peanuts.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

You don't have to step on the toes of your neighbor. If your so troubled look a few miles away from your home place.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

The problem with the unemployed is that most of them (not all) choose to be unemployed. Our government has without a doubt rewarded the fat and lazy, notice I didn't say dumb or stupid. They get EVERYTHING for free including a prepaid cellphone, why would they want to trade that for an honest paying job.

Even my high schooler has held full time summer employment from the age of 15 and it wasn't from the farm. He went out and marketed himself and his talents and was rewarded for his efforts. See he didn't have the option of sucking off the government. It's truly amazing what people can do when they have a goal, it's just to bad some people are happy with taking it from others.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Really Kraft that is your advice just a few additional miles down the road? Sir I'm from rural Kansas. There aren't too many farmers within a 50 mile radius that I don't know. You must have missed the part when I said I don't need help, but I don't agree with your method of acquiring it.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Some pretty good reading here - with al a few good LMAO and will also throw in one ROTFLMAO from The one -the only - Kraft-T .

We use to have a full time guy here - well we had 2 different guys in a time fram of 20 some years - One was a young retired guy out of Havester and the other a young part time farmer - boy he was a good one ! He had experence to do most jobs , the retired guy ? Chit fire - I was better off to do it myself - did do a great job of asking what time we were going to qiut . true story !

BUT I have to agree with the K-T on some of his point's like pay - I hire 2 gus for harvest - one has been here 10 years and the other 14 years , I do pay them well for what they do - 15 and hour - Lunch - or pay them to go pick something up , fuel money if they use there trucks for something like runing for parts , Sometimes a Christmas Bonus of a 100 bucks - Then I would take everybody(  Hushands and wifes )  down to the Kopper Kettle for a BIG set down meal - they liked that better than the 100 bucks and said skip that - They had more fun talking about harvest and the things that went right and the LMAO moments we had .

I am very lucky ! to have these guys work for me and try my best to take care of a good thing . The problem here is finding good help that knows something ! We are blessed with dead beats in our area ,  But there is just not any good farm kids around here to drive any more - these dead beat just think they can drive - Who whats to put somebody in a 300 combine ,tractor , sprayer , or even a 50 thousand outfit ?  Qualified ,quality , help is extinct here !

Well I had better get before I lose my job - lol

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Right after we committed to the guy we hired off of welfare-to-work, I had another guy's employee contact me. He was doing precisely the job we would have to train the new guy for, and had years of experience...basically exactly what we had been hoping to find.

When he heard our package of wages and housing plus utilities, and told me what he was earning, it was clear we compensate 1.5-2 times our closest competition.

I told him we had made a commitment to someone else, and stand by our promises. He asked me to keep his name and number. I have it in my phone, but our hiring decision is working pretty well so far. I have never hired someone away from someone rlse, or taken land out from under another farmer.

Kid with no idea how to use a tool for the most basic minor repairs v a mature guy with all the specialized skills we need on our farm. It was really tempting, but I have no regrets.
0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

But if you hire someone else, who is already doing the same, or similar job, how does that help the 'labor shortage'?   All that happened is that the unfilled job, is now somewhere else?

The complaint I keep hearing, is that there is a shortage of good workers.   Even with unemployment where it is, finding decent people, willing to work, is an uphill battle for most all the employers areound here  (most places are even giving up on finding someone 'experienced', the adds are now saying 'will train').    Taking a worker from business A to business B, does nothing to cut down on the shortage.  There are businesses that would like to hire more workers for what is  coming on years, with openings still there.   It seems as they 'find' new people, there seems to be somewhere else, that takes a couple of their workers.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Funny story here - Last fall one rainy day - I had 3 guys stop by the shop - then the next day in town 2 different guys stopped me - all needing some extra work = money - said just call anytime !!!!!!!!!!!  I said just call anytime !!! Well the next week , Norm my cart driver asked for the weekend off to go to a car show - Norm is 67 and retired out of Ford - GREAT guy and funny to boot , I said sure we would be OK , Came home and told Mrs. ECI , she said just call them guys , they said --what ?????? Anytime - Dam good idea ! So I called the best one first - Well you want me to work on Saturday ??? I said yes on Saturday - This coming Saturday was his next question , I said Yes THIS coming Saturday , well We have tickets for Tobie Keith and were going to go out for dinner before , I said fine - FORGET IT - I thought - Lazy A-hole !  Called number 2 ! Same thing !  Going to see Tobie Keith ,  I said if he only worked to 4 or so that would be great - OH no - I might be tiried! -  I said to myself ?? the same thing !

Called number 3 !!!!! Well I worked a lot of overtime this week and was going to go fishing ! I just threw down the phone and said bad words - took out all the other numbers and threw them in the trash can , Never heard another word ever from them again - lol 

Anyway thats my story , lol

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

You should have called me, I don't even like Toby Keith.
0 Kudos