cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dennymal
Veteran Contributor

Re: Reporter writing about labor shortages

I think everyone on this topic  agrees if you make a deal you stick to your word. However when your new hire decides he doesn't want to powerwash buildings or work with pigs do you go back to the last guy and say now we have an opening Do you want the job. I think thats the question? I think you are almost forced to call him, to stay competive in business. If a landlord(this has happened to me by the way) comes and says I'm changing tenants do you want the farm you have to take it. If you don't someone else will take it. Same with employees.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The job description is entirely clear upon discussion of the position, given in writing, with the compensation package also written out. In this past year's hiring/firing flurry, we learned some valuable lessons, especially our daughter, who instituted a paid working interview process, powerwashing and vaccinating, plus other tasks she wanted to observe before making an offer of employment to someone.

Anyone who gets the job has no misimpressions about what it entails. If they seem surprised, they head on down the road.

The guy we hired before the neighbor's helper called has worked out pretty well, so the subject of whether to call him or not hasn't come up.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

First off to rawhide - I worked at Morristown Soil Service

Second - to Kraft -T -  You said if you hire a young guy with more or less no experence then you get what you get , or something close to that - Thats where I have to disagree here , When started at Soil Service in 1976 - I had NO experence in the fert. business - I was hired to take over as manager with one year training = on the job so to speak , I had very good teachers down there - there is a lot to know and you learn on the go , You know , I never had one farmer say anything about me just starting out on there fields - anyway to my face - lol

Then I was contacted by a large company I do business with a few years ago , they were adding new wenches and asked me - what or If I was hireing new techs as they call them - what would Ken look for ? I told them as much as I hated to , I would NOT hire anybody near my age - no matter what kind of experence they had , Boy that woke them up - then asked me why ? The new guys on the block have been brought up with all this tech stuff since they were kids , all the monitor , computer stuff ! they are great to work with ! They ended up ireing 4 or 5 new techs - The oldest may be 28 - most were in there early 20's  and boys they do the job better than anybody my age - they work hard too and many hours in the busy season to keep us going . These guys are what I would look for if I was hireing - young guys that I can train to do it Ken's way .

The key to me to keep good help is it has to be a fun place to work - I hate to go to a job that the employer acted like a Richard - it's not a job if you enjoy your work .

Kay - I think I could work for your family - lol   I like your approach ! 

BTW I just checked my contract here this moring - It said that Ken has to mow the grass today !! Oh well so much for working on the sprayer - lol

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Actually

The guy we hired just prior to the guy we ended up with was " pre-trained". He had worked in company farms as a temp, which they apparently hire a lot, to fill in at least. He had worked temp for eight months, knew how to do the work, did it well at first.

Once he got settled into the employee residence, a dramatic list of events began occurring, including him having his child's mother over to give her some support money for their baby. I had told him not to have her here, because we knew her reputation. It ended with him in jail and unable to work, plus missing a good numbers of days for court appearances, and several hundred dollars in bail money we fronted.

I should have left him behind bars. When the new hire moved in, he found drug residue in the furniture. This at least partially explained why the guy got lethargic and disrespectful. He had to go...Mike insisted upon working him long enough to get back the bail money, which he now admits was a mistake.

The day he was fired, he and his girlfriend and her teenaged brother, who was " visiting", all acted like they were tenants with eviction rights. It was tense and aggravating fir a few hours, until they learned otherwise. But, he was pre-trained, so a good bet, right?

Skills can be taught...attitudes are pretty well - entrenched. I look for the right attitude...every member of the family here has done the work we hire a guy to do.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Actually

It was tense and aggravating fir a few hours, until they learned otherwise --- SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO   Kay - is that when the unempolyed guy found out the working end of a Red Wing High top work boot in his rear ?  lol  Sorry - You know I can't help myself sometimes - lol

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Ken, when we were building this pretty big hog farm 20 years ago, it was amazing how many folks we had come back in the woods here, to tell us they wanted a job. We were doing it all ourselves for the first few years, so we just said basically, " Thanks, but no thanks."

The funny thing was how many who asked, when you inquired what they were working at, said they were " on disability until...." In other words, I an riding out one company's comp, until I can find another.

Of the nine houses visible from some part of this farm, all but one had disability recipients living in them. Once our kids built, there were two, but now it is only one again, since the other neighbor and his wife take turns on disability.

There are a lot of people who want to be paid at their convenience, or for doing nothing. I am sure Krafty will find fault with my anecdote on this point, too, but you would have to live where we do to see what we see.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Kay my friend your on a roll - lol  Quote  : I am sure Krafty will find fault with my anecdote on this point  -- If he don't - we had better send a doctor to his place - he would have to be very sick - lol 

I got to get here - wife has already said twice - I thought ou were going to the shop

But we have the same thing here - Had a guy I have nown for years lose his job 4 or 5 years ago and ned a job - It fell in planting time and I did need some help - he did a good job and paid him on a Saturday - ( first pay check ) - remember - pay CHECK - he go all bent out af shape when I gave it to him ! I asked what was the problem - thought maybe I had figured it wrong or something - He said he needed to be paid in cash - Or he would lose his unemplyment benifits and he still had several months on it left - Now that burn't my -- my -- oh here , my rear end , he was pretty much done after that deal with me .

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Sure, you break the law so he can break the law! One of our disabled neighbors went back to work for the dentist she had formerly worked for, before her new job caused carpal tunnel. The dentist paid her husband...and they were bold enough to tell the tale!

Meanwhile, my orthopedist encouraged me eight years ago to get disability insurance, because he " hadn't done anything to that knee to disqualify you yet".

I thanked him for the advice, but said my goal was to stay as able to work and play as possible. He couldn't get over how well I was recuperating, compared to another lady my age, with essentially the same bad knee, the same day of surgery. Same story with my chiropractor, when he assessed me with a cracked vertebral process this winter. When he told me to " try to touch your ties", I bent down and placed my palms flat on the floor. He laughed and said I was ready to move to maintenance care...he rarely sees anyone my age that flexible.

Being busy is the best medicine. Much of the depression and anxiety, being medicated in our country today, stems from people who don't know that.
0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Cash help

invariably the guys and gals that want to be paid in cash also lean one way politically, too.

You would think that the ones that really want big expensive government would want to pay for it, too.

I always send those types down the road and do it right when it comes to labor. If they are going to cheat on their taxes they probably won't think twice about cheating you, either.

0 Kudos
wt51015
Senior Contributor

Re: Cash help

I've seen my share of "cash help" throughout my growing years and it doesn't matter what party you vote for. There is always at least one scoundrel. R's, D's, I's, or L's. No one wants to pay taxes to a government that they disagree with at the time. 

0 Kudos